Audiogon's new face

i hope they are giving discounts for listing now...when it is not even certain their search algorithims are working. i just searched Esoteric...and found about 15 things at the top of the list which were fine even though they were in no particular order...though something tells me they dropped off a bunch of Esoteric stuff that had been up for months...and then came about 20 items which had nothing to do with Esoteric...then randomly in the middle of a bunch of stuff...1 Esoteric cable...

#1 Is it just me or do they have other advertisment on the same page and right below the sellers feedback? To me this is wrong and distracting.

#2 Also you can't seem to click onto the sellers feedback to read comments left by others as before, anyone else having this issue

#3 You type in what ever item you are looking for "for example TW ACUSTIC" but other items come up which have nothing to do with TW.

#4 You click onto tables for example and not just tables come up.

#5 I placed a ad just prior to them doing their upgrade and my ad has been down as others since and just recently partially up. I emailed them to only get a stupid reply to refer to their blog so I did such posting a comment but for it to only have a note saying "wait for moderator aproval".

Looking at the whole transition I don't feel it has been done preffesionally

Dev your comments are pretty in line with a part of my list of growing concerns. The more I browse it, the more issues I find....it's pretty darn bad.

The issue you raised about their sponsor ads being on listing pages is important and speaks of their focus. Another part of that is the "other Items" are now limited to 3 and the rest of your ad space (assuming it is your listing) is devoted to their sponsor...so they sold that space twice. I have sold many items from guys seeing other items while looking at a listing and I have also bought other items that way.

I am hoping the inability to click on a username is merely a process that is coming. I cannot imagine they would eliminate that all together. I would guess that almost everyone who engages in a transaction clicks on the other party to give them a quick once over.

As for the actual process of transition, there is the obvious screwed up way they went about it but they have pretty much forbidden any discussion. I had a forum topic denied directing me to the blog. I had an email reply stating that comments should be posted on the blog. I posted on the blog and they have not allowed the post. My comments were in no way aggressive or inappropriate although they did point out concerns. The message they have sent is clear...tough, buddy...don't care, this is the way it is so please don't make waves.

The old Audiogon was a community and I have made some of my best friends there (strange, I know). I honestly feel bad for the newer guys and the guys who have yet to get there because they are never going to experience that sense of community that used to be. Sigh.

The new Audiogon website is a suck-fest. Click on an ad, go get a beer, come back and sit down, and wait for it to load. I wonder how much money they lost while their site was down during the "improvement?" Why mess with something that not only wasn't broken, it worked quite well? Kind of like McDonalds deciding they don't want to sell hamburgers anymore and they switch to pig's feet on a bun.

Dev your comments are pretty in line with a part of my list of growing concerns. The more I browse it, the more issues I find....it's pretty darn bad.

The issue you raised about their sponsor ads being on listing pages is important and speaks of their focus. Another part of that is the "other Items" are now limited to 3 and the rest of your ad space (assuming it is your listing) is devoted to their sponsor...so they sold that space twice. I have sold many items from guys seeing other items while looking at a listing and I have also bought other items that way.

I am hoping the inability to click on a username is merely a process that is coming. I cannot imagine they would eliminate that all together. I would guess that almost everyone who engages in a transaction clicks on the other party to give them a quick once over.

As for the actual process of transition, there is the obvious screwed up way they went about it but they have pretty much forbidden any discussion. I had a forum topic denied directing me to the blog. I had an email reply stating that comments should be posted on the blog. I posted on the blog and they have not allowed the post. My comments were in no way aggressive or inappropriate although they did point out concerns. The message they have sent is clear...tough, buddy...don't care, this is the way it is so please don't make waves.

The old Audiogon was a community and I have made some of my best friends there (strange, I know). I honestly feel bad for the newer guys and the guys who have yet to get there because they are never going to experience that sense of community that used to be. Sigh.

1rsw, your remarks in relation to sending them a message mirrors mine EXACTLY what they have done to me.
I have a $40K turntable up for sale and all was good prior to their changes with pics and now my ad only has pics showing arm boards, can't get in to edit, can't add pics. I paid in-full for my ad and all I want is a credit and remove it for now and once their site is up working properly to place it again.

They have yet to respond and have not posted any of my posts.

The advertisement now on the pages is outrages, click on any ad for sale and you will see what I'm referring too. Some of the ads are so bold and distracting also and possibly depending on what pops up potentially compete with your actual sale items mainly because it now puts into the mind of the potential buyer other options.

The actual ad that you have paid for now does not actually focus 100% on your sale, they firstly generate a fee for your ad placement and then receive further a percentage fee on the amount sold for, looking at this new site and their ad's all I see is greed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a mess, really... considering that www.audiogon.com redirects to app.audiogon.com tells me they old web site is still around, just not available to us, and they could go back to it. Hope they really do... this is just really unprofessional.

Dev...I feel bad for you, that stinks. Hopefully they will get your ad taken care of and you get that sold. I'm afraid there are a lot of stories like yours floating about the web. Good luck to you.

I just tried to browse the "New Today" but got so distracted by the giant flashing banana that I had to close the page. Seriously?? Oh my.

Dev...I feel bad for you, that stinks. Hopefully they will get your ad taken care of and you get that sold. I'm afraid there are a lot of stories like yours floating about the web. Good luck to you.

I just tried to browse the "New Today" but got so distracted by the giant flashing banana that I had to close the page. Seriously?? Oh my.

I had to go and check it out with Internet Explorer and see what your talking about. That IS really bad. :D

I'm surprised that more people don't use a browser with a ad blocking service. I use Firefox with Adblock Plus and don't see a single ad. It still doesn't change the fact that their new site is garbage. :mad:

I had to go and check it out with Internet Explorer and see what your talking about. That IS really bad. :D

I'm surprised that more people don't use a browser with a ad blocking service. I use Firefox with Adblock Plus and don't see a single ad. It still doesn't change the fact that their new site is garbage. :mad:

We are complaining to each other but I also highly recommend you send an email to them and be angry about it. That is the ONLY way we can expect real change!!

We are complaining to each other but I also highly recommend you send an email to them and be angry about it. That is the ONLY way we can expect real change!!

Hi audiguy,

if you refer back to my posting and others you will read that we have sent emails, their responce has been with death ears, no responce. They then send you to another area which you post but then when you hit send says "waiting for moderator approval" and in the end goes no where.

This is the worse customer service I have ever witnessed but then again if I recall any times having an issue it's the normal practice. I paid for my ad in full, it's been off line and then when it finally came back my ad is messed up and I can't edit or do anything which is most frustrating, ontop of that them not replying.

I tried posting a NEW topic thread and upon moderator approval did not appear.

So you tell me what one is to do.

Their new site "classifies" sucks big time along with their launching is amateurish.

Take a look at this ad, http://app.audiogon.com/listings/453034

Tell me what you see is wrong!

Now I don't know if the picture will be the same that I'm seeing or not but the size does not change and it's much larger and obvious than any other on the actual sellers ad page so it stands out the most, this ad happens to be competing with the sellers ads because the seller also has cables for sale as you can see right above the large picture, this larger ad the company is selling cables. To me this is very distracting and not focusing on what the seller objective is. All I see is greeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click on the attachment I provided and you will see the ads are revolving so different ones will pop up, second time I did a bold large picture poped up on the top of a compeditors product.

Also read above the sellers ad on this same page to further see more advertisment and direct competition. One says "Best Audio Cables See what people are saying" one below it says " Cable-UP by VU cables" and both are set-up in a way that if you click onto them takes you right into their site information and away from this actual seller page. When you re-click onto that attachment I provided it revolves and second time I did this a bold large picture poped up on the top of a compeditors product.

If you keep goiing back to my attachment provided above and clicking it, looking at the actual ad you will notice different ads appear each time on the top along with the larger picture below the posters feedback or other items for sale.

What a bunch of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they are going to do this then they should not be charging for add placement.

Why doesn't Audigon have these companies place their own ads on their own separate page? instead of corrupting a paying members page whom has actually paid for their ad placement.

Last edited:
What do you see wrong with this ad http://app.audiogon.com/listings/447001

The member placed an ad for a turntable for sale that is selling for over $30K but I see no pictures of a table but only arms boards. Prety hard for someone looking at this ad to get exited and want to pay this large amount of money don't you think?

Yup you guessed it right, that's my ad. Prior to them doing their upgrades my ad was working properly with numerous pictures of the table and controller, not now and for some 5+ days and I can't get in to edit to ad pictures. I have sent numerous emails with no proper responce, death ears. Generic email sent to me referring me to another area to post my questions which I did to only find out when I pushed send said "waiting moderators approval" that was days ago and still nothing.

So what do you call this? I would say I'm being more than patient.

All I want is to remove my ad currently, provide me with a credit and once the site is working properly then allow me to properly re-post. I don't believe that is asking for too much.

I tried to modify one of my ads and could not figure out how to delete the current photos I had posted and replace them with some higher quality ones I took. There is just an open window for submitting modifications. I did not try typing in it and wonder if you have to paste in all of your old text with modifications, or what?

I agree with the comments about the loss of the advanced search function, too.

takes so long to search or click on anything, the entire site is useless.

will wait a month or two until posting something i guess.

Take a look at this ad, http://app.audiogon.com/listings/453034

Tell me what you see is wrong!

Now I don't know if the picture will be the same that I'm seeing or not but the size does not change and it's much larger and obvious than any other on the actual sellers ad page so it stands out the most, this ad happens to be competing with the sellers ads because the seller also has cables for sale as you can see right above the large picture, this larger ad the company is selling cables. To me this is very distracting and not focusing on what the seller objective is. All I see is greeeeeeeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click on the attachment I provided and you will see the ads are revolving so different ones will pop up, second time I did a bold large picture poped up on the top of a compeditors product.

Also read above the sellers ad on this same page to further see more advertisment and direct competition. One says "Best Audio Cables See what people are saying" one below it says " Cable-UP by VU cables" and both are set-up in a way that if you click onto them takes you right into their site information and away from this actual seller page. When you re-click onto that attachment I provided it revolves and second time I did this a bold large picture poped up on the top of a compeditors product.

If you keep goiing back to my attachment provided above and clicking it, looking at the actual ad you will notice different ads appear each time on the top along with the larger picture below the posters feedback or other items for sale.

What a bunch of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they are going to do this then they should not be charging for add placement.

Why doesn't Audigon have these companies place their own ads on their own separate page? instead of corrupting a paying members page whom has actually paid for their ad placement.

I looked at your ad, DEV... it's a very nice ad for a couple of round pieces of metal:eek::eek::);)

Actually, I had seen your ad for the TW on the site before the, ahem, "upgrades":( and was drooling then, not so much now:(. Hope they will make this right for you, seems to me to be a pretty obvious error on their behalf.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the site is truly a beta version as it says at the top of the page...the search functions are abysmal and the speed is terrible. Let's hope they are working on these issues...as it stands,they have a LONG way to go before they are as good as what they had before, just IMHO:eek:

Update, a Audiogon generic reply came today saying provide my PayPal information and they will reinburse. Seemed od and wonder if their site has been high jacked because I just asked for a credit and them knowing my account info know very well I don't use that type of payment method. I replied saying blah! blah! but basically just credit my account. Never got any other answers back so that just seemes so weird. I noticed reading a few post on their blog section from other members mentioning having some finacial issues so make sure to watch your account because weird things have been going on, so heads up to all, be careful. Also be very careful buying anything right now, extra careful because you can't check out their past feedback, zero feedback sorry but that's a huge risk. I know we all have to start somewhere and that normally involves a few pick-ups if selling and some positive feeedback from purchases made.

Anyways now we have ads going up with the "seller" having zero feedback but it shows, See Feedback (100% positive) http://app.audiogon.com/listings/453206 duh! how can this be. You still can not click onto anyones feedback to find out their history either, I sent a private measage to someone and it went to someone else. Boy do they have allot of issues, now all they need is someone while they a venerable is to go in and hi-jack it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing