Audiogon's new face

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Maybe steve (whats best forum ) can start with sytem pages as well , it ll make this site much more interesting i think.

hj

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Quantcast Site Stats

http://www.quantcast.com/audiogon.com

Bet this is getting their attention. It's the free market, if the products sucks people ain't gonna bite. I would imagine their sponsors are not too happy with these site stats either.

They also appear to have stopped posting the comments they are getting on their blog and their last blog post is a total joke. They talked about how much positive feedback they were getting and hoped we were enjoying the new site. Um....why would we enjoy paying to sell items on a site that traffic has dropped 70%? Are we idiots?

islandsound

Jan 17, 2012
I am looking to start a new site. In the short time I was using Audiogon, being a newbie in the audio world, I found it to be ok but at the same time pretty flaky and unresponsive at times. I am a Unix/Linux engineer by trade and would be able to handle all the server setup and backend work. I just need a few developers that would be interested in spending time to start something new to replace Audiogon. My vison would be to have something similar to Craigslist but only for audio equipment. Fast small stable and simple. That's the best way to be with web applications which the vast majority of people forget and wind up writing something like the new gon site. It's horrible doesn't function as it should is buggy like crazy and I for one am ready for a change. Please pm me if you would like to contribute. Thanks.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi guys update, I tried to make a fairly substantial purchase and it was so painful. Three times I spent the time to provide my offer, they provide a 1/2 window for any further info. you may have and trying to provide such was painful enough on it's own. I still don't even know if the offer to the seller has gone or not, I got so frustrated that's I'm not doing it again. Feel sorry for the seller and if this happened to me I'm sure it's happening to numerous others, their new system just sucks big time!

Also a couple of times I saw someones ad selling something, someone who I haven't corresponded with for some time so I sent them off a message saying hi and what's up blah! blah!. I know of at least three different occasions these individuals did not receive.

I also tried sending my thoughts outlining the issues I'm currently having using their new format but again they were not posted nor did I receive a reply back so this clearly demonstrates to me they just don't care.

What a stupid format and now we are in week ....

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Absolutely terrible to navigate or find the item I was planning to buy which resurfaced after a day when i tried the search pages.

No pics of the products sold with the header, is a disaster.

Certainly visiting it has gone down to once a week, instead of daily.

IDEAL TIMING for someone else to start an Audiogon based on its old platforms -Soooooon!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although they seem to try fixing things slowly, I just found that audiogon does not let registered members email other members directly. I have been patient for all issues, but if this is true, it will be the end of the line for me, after more than 11 years membership. I find this behavior totally unacceptable.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Although they seem to try fixing things slowly, I just found that audiogon does not let registered members email other members directly. I have been patient for all issues, but if this is true, it will be the end of the line for me, after more than 11 years membership. I find this behavior totally unacceptable.

Yes it's been like this for weeks now... They probably want you to go through the offer mechanism, so that they can perhaps monitor what's offered vs what people actually report as far as sales price goes for the purposes of calculating fees more accurately. I think the inability to contact a user any longer is deliberate, with the downside you can no longer contact anyone privately w/o an ad to discuss their views, or get their opinion...

This is by far one of the worst regressions with the new site, but hopefully should help push discussions out of a'gon and into here :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yes it's been like this for weeks now... They probably want you to go through the offer mechanism, so that they can perhaps monitor what's offered vs what people actually report as far as sales price goes for the purposes of calculating fees more accurately. I think the inability to contact a user any longer is deliberate, with the downside you can no longer contact anyone privately w/o an ad to discuss their views, or get their opinion...

This is by far one of the worst regressions with the new site, but hopefully should help push discussions out of a'gon and into here :)

That makes perfect sense.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
As I have said all along it is my hope that as our membership grows so will activity in the Trading Place Forum. I have also been contacted by several members that we should think of pursuing a site similar to Audiogon. A nice thought but more members are needed. I am sure most of us are Gon members so perhaps you can pass on to other members there our URL and lets see what goes from there as I am very interested in the concept. There is a BETTER way to do Audiogon. I would like to do it the BEST way

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Just make it obvious how to contact you in the body of the ad. :) They can't read all the ads, and don't use obvious HTML tags. So far, it hasn't been possible for me to post reviews or respond to threads, although others seem to be able to do it. Authentication works OK for the ads part.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Audiogon is a business now. The first casualty of...[ business is freedom of expression.]

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The way I have solved the emailing outside of Agon is that I respond to every bid with my email address and tell the bidder that is how I will communicate. Since Agon is a POS and anyone who has used it knows that, no objections. So far it has worked well.

Someone suggested in another post about creating an Agon competor based on the looks/approach of CraigsList! I wouldn't use that either.

Before Al Gore invented the internet, there was a small paper booklet published (I think out of Tennessee) that provided a way to buy and sell used audio equipment. Don't recall the name. But there was no logical sort order to be able to find stuff. Craigs List is barely one step above that.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
AudioMart?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The way I have solved the emailing outside of Agon is that I respond to every bid with my email address and tell the bidder that is how I will communicate. Since Agon is a POS and anyone who has used it knows that, no objections. So far it has worked well.

Transactions are one thing; but the community lost the ability to get personal, serious help... I have been contacted numerous times on various topics, and I am sure the more interesting audiophiles even more. Just a few weeks ago I was contacted by someone with another Ayre P-5xe phono with humming issues, and he told me my previous posts on the issue showed up at the top of his google search, so he pinged me via audiogon... He solved his problem within a day, and we had three very useful and lengthy exchanges... That's why I said I hope this increases traffic here and elsewhere...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The site still sucks and runs slow.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I wonder how many people have lost their virtual systems... For example, mine is almost gone... When I log in and click on Virual Systems it tells me I have none. Yet when I click on Forum Threads there it is under My Threads. It takes skill to mess this up...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The search function is really crappy. Take for instance if you're looking for a product and the system can't find a match. For some unknown reason, the system won't allow you to then delete the previous term and insert and new name. You're stuck. Plus, I don't think the search function is finding items.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing