Best audiophile switch

To clarify, replacing the TP-Link MC220L/iPower X combo with the Optical Module Deluxe/MiniTeddy resulted in an improvement in the same direction the former had improved—less coloration and more microdetail.

Is it possible that with the latter there was also an improvement in any other direction, like soundstage depth and realism, space, better deep bass maybe? Or not significant?
The oMD v2 provided an obvious increase in clarity and transparency, which results in hearing further into the soundstage, more microdetail and faster transients.
I have to ask, what about optimisation of your eR in the more resolving setup:
- was it used in conjunction with the superior B side of the EtherREGEN, which is designed with "moat isolation” and is it (or not):
- clocked (did you try?)
- grounded
- also powered by a Teddy Pardo
- only using 2 ports (no other devices connected?)
My PlayPoint streamer is connected to the ER B-side. The A-side has the fiber connection, and also ethernet to a TV and Chromecast Audio streamer. I have tried disconnecting the TV and CCA a couple of times and heard no difference whatsoever through the main system PlayPoint. Connecting to the ER makes a major difference to the sound from the TV and CCA.

The ER is upgraded with a Teddy Pardo 12/2 and Ghent Audio Gotham Starquad DC cable, supported on a Target shelf and IsoAcoustics Minipucks. No separate ground connection, as it is not required with a ground PSU. No external clock.

Last edited:
Reactions: NigelB and Di-fi
To clarify, replacing the TP-Link MC220L/iPower X combo with the Optical Module Deluxe/MiniTeddy resulted in an improvement in the same direction the former had improved—less coloration and more microdetail.

Is it possible that with the latter there was also an improvement in any other direction, like soundstage depth and realism, space, better deep bass maybe? Or not significant?

I have to ask, what about optimisation of your eR in the more resolving setup:
- was it used in conjunction with the superior B side of the EtherREGEN, which is designed with "moat isolation” and is it (or not):
- clocked (did you try?)
- grounded
- also powered by a Teddy Pardo
- only using 2 ports (no other devices connected?)

If shared before and I missed that a link will do instead of repeating,
Thanks

For me,
switching to fibre optic,
used quality fibre optic cables.

The ER is upgraded with a Teddy Pardo 12/2 and Ghent Audio Gotham Starquad DC cable, supported on a Target shelf and IsoAcoustics Minipucks. No separate ground connection, as it is not required with a ground PSU. No external clock.
Actually you may wish to try out the Ground screw of your EtherREGEN.

Some background (and this is all covered on page 8 of the User Guide):
a) Grounding is only relevant to the 'A' side RJ45 ports of the EtherREGEN relative to each other; No leakage currents can cross over the active differential digital isolators that straddle the "moat" to the 'B'.

b) We use more costly 12-core per port magnetics and we tie the center-taps of the cores to the ground plane (through individual 0.1uF capacitors) to shunt away high-source-impedance leakage--by low-source impedance leakage still exists.
[By the way, the popularity--with audiophile tweakers--of some of the very inexpensive Netgear GS switches took off when we years ago posted about some versions that also were grounding the center taps of their magnetics as this is not that common.]

c) If you are only utilizing one of the 'A' side RJ45 ports then grounding of the EtherREGEN does not matter at all. But if you are using more than one 'A' side port--and most especially if you are also using even one shield-tied cable on the 'A' side--then a proper earth ground with reduce 'A' side port-to-port leakage interactions.

d) The stock custom SMPS AC>DC adapter we ship with every EtherREGEN is internally "ground-shunted." That is, its AC cord earth ground pin is common to the -Ve/zero-Volt "ground" barrel of its output. So use of that supply (assuming with a IEC cord with 3 wires into a mains outlet with proper earth ground) automatically takes care of grounding the EtherREGEN's 'A' side.

e) It is when someone is powering the EtherREGEN with a power supply whose output is "floated" from AC mains ground (most, but not all linear supplies) that consideration to use the Ground screw comes into play. Again, only if you are using more than one 'A' side RJ45 port.

Your Teddy Pardo (a very fine little supply with much lower broadband output impedance--unlike most of the sub-$200 AliExpress/eBay Chinese LPS units which have a big hump in their impedance a low frequency) is likely a "floated" output supply. Hence my suggestion that you give the Ground screw of your EtherREGEN a try. Especially since you have 'A' side connections to your TV and Chromecast streamer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Di-fi
Actually you may wish to try out the Ground screw of your EtherREGEN.

c) If you are only utilizing one of the 'A' side RJ45 ports then grounding of the EtherREGEN does not matter at all. But if you are using more than one 'A' side port--and most especially if you are also using even one shield-tied cable on the 'A' side--then a proper earth ground with reduce 'A' side port-to-port leakage interactions.
The A-side ethernet cables are not shield-tied.
Your Teddy Pardo (a very fine little supply with much lower broadband output impedance--unlike most of the sub-$200 AliExpress/eBay Chinese LPS units which have a big hump in their impedance a low frequency) is likely a "floated" output supply. Hence my suggestion that you give the Ground screw of your EtherREGEN a try. Especially since you have 'A' side connections to your TV and Chromecast streamer.
Thanks, I will try grounding the ER.

Reactions: Superdad

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing