Best audiophile switch

My switch story:

First my Ethernet setup: Internet providers router, 15 meter Supra cat8 to a Netgear router which distribute Ethernet to the rest of the house including a 20 meter Supra Cat8 direct to my audiophile switch.

First “audiophile” switch I bough, about 7 years ago, was a Cisco. Made a small positive difference. Bought a second Cisco when installing them in série it made a further small improvement. Then when the EtherRegen came out I bought it. Clear improvement over the Ciscos. So the Ciscos got stored away. Got a good price on an EE8. Was not as good as the ER but kept them in série. ER as the last one. Bought a Farad Super3 to feed the ER. Huge improvement.

Late 2020 I felt it was possible to make even more out of “switches”. At that time WBF spoke very well of the Melco S100 modified by Pink Faun. So went for it together with 2 Super3. It needs two. One for the switch and one for the internal PF clock. After listening I installed the S100 between my Melco NAS and the Naim streamer. As close as possible to the streamer. Sounded better there than before the Melco. An incredible improvement. My wife looked at me and said “I don’t know how much you paid but it’s worth it”. Total cost including the Farad silver dc cables was around 6000 Euro.

Then started forum members to speak of converting to fibre and reconverting back to Ethernet. So bought an ADOT and later a fourth Super3 to feed the ADOT. Thereafter I upgraded the transceivers to Finisar 1318 and the fibre cable to a glass fibre. Both upgrades, the ADOT and the second step with the Finisar transceivers gave an uplift in the sound.

Now I have Netgear -> ER -> Melco -> ADOT -> S100 PF -> Naim streamer. I think I am done for a while ……
Like you, I started with cheap, used Cisco Catalyst switches and then the EtherREGEN which I still have as a central hub and also the 10/100 network feed for a Meridian surround system. Ten days ago I replaced a Shunyata cable into the original Network Acoustics ENO filter with their new eno2 system for the main 2-channel setup to get an even more relaxed, natural sound through two cascaded Cisco Meraki switches fed by the ER. These were modified by Hans at AudioPhool NL and are connected by Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL transceivers and CommScope singlemode fiber.

All very convoluted steps, for a few hundreds of dollars at a time, as I tried different power supplies, grounding etc., but I feel that this latest change is the icing on a fully-baked network cake.

Reactions: Campo007 and jasond
i've been auditioning the Reiki Superswitch Pro + power supply + Raku Stream .5m network cable for a couple of weeks, had it in and out, and decided to buy it. the musical equation both for streaming and files is really quiet, calm and vivid. lovely liquid and grainless sound. been doing lots of vinyl lately with a big new Lp collection being cleaned and auditioned, so lots of back and forth with my vinyl. the Wadax Level 4 has never acquainted itself better.

at this point my Nordost QNet switch w/QSource power supply + my Sablon 2020 Ethernet cable is stacked behind the Reiki. this combo (Reiki + Nordost) is quite nice, and the additional ports on the QNet for my Wadax dac service RJ-45 connections is appreciated.

added edit; i do have both the Reiki Superswitch and power supply grounded to my Tripoint Elite grounding box.

i know there is the Optical Bridge and the idea of an additional level of Reiki servant i could add as opposed to the Nordost QNet. those thoughts are for another day. happy with this move for now. time to go listen to more vinyl. and logistically; right now the QNet is near the Reiki behind my Wadax server on a wall mounted shelf. i have a conduit with my Ethernet cable running upstairs to a router with an LPS then to my copper and broadband. and a wall mount ethernet port next to my gear. i also have optical cable in that conduit. so i do have a number of options to explore down the road. one of my Synology mirrored NAS's is upstairs off my router there, but all my files are resident on my Wadax server with my system downstairs, so that NAS is not involved in the music playing.

Last edited:
Mike, I am sure you tested both ground connections. On my Reiki I connected the PS ground to a CAD GC1.1 and all was good. Then I connected the switch to the same GC1.1 and not so good. I think it created a kind of ground loop with both connected. Every system is different so maybe yours sound better with both connected.

Audio is so weird. Every single thing has to be tested.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
Mike, I am sure you tested both ground connections. On my Reiki I connected the PS ground to a CAD GC1.1 and all was good. Then I connected the switch to the same GC1.1 and not so good. I think it created a kind of ground loop with both connected. Every system is different so maybe yours sound better with both connected.

good advice is to always check. :) one ground to the Superswitch was good. then another to the power supply was even better. both subtle up-tics for sure. but i did not try the power supply only, will try it when i have time. maybe the Tripoint has it's own rules?

i've been auditioning the Reiki Superswitch Pro + power supply + Raku Stream .5m network cable for a couple of weeks, had it in and out, and decided to buy it. the musical equation both for streaming and files is really quiet, calm and vivid. lovely liquid and grainless sound. been doing lots of vinyl lately with a big new Lp collection being cleaned and auditioned, so lots of back and forth with my vinyl. the Wadax Level 4 has never acquainted itself better.

at this point my Nordost QNet switch w/QSource power supply + my Sablon 2020 Ethernet cable is stacked behind the Reiki. this combo (Reiki + Nordost) is quite nice, and the additional ports on the QNet for my Wadax dac service RJ-45 connections is appreciated.

added edit; i do have both the Reiki Superswitch and power supply grounded to my Tripoint Elite grounding box.

i know there is the Optical Bridge and the idea of an additional level of Reiki servant i could add as opposed to the Nordost QNet. those thoughts are for another day. happy with this move for now. time to go listen to more vinyl. and logistically; right now the QNet is near the Reiki behind my Wadax server on a wall mounted shelf. i have a conduit with my Ethernet cable running upstairs to a router with an LPS then to my copper and broadband. and a wall mount ethernet port next to my gear. i also have optical cable in that conduit. so i do have a number of options to explore down the road. one of my Synology mirrored NAS's is upstairs off my router there, but all my files are resident on my Wadax server with my system downstairs, so that NAS is not involved in the music playing.
I had a decent chat with Nigel the owner of Reiki recently, a very affable and likeable chap, I was originally looking at getting an Ediscreation Silent Switch Extreme after fairly extensive research on literally dozens of audiophile switches, but have now decided to buy the Reiki Superswitch Pro when I am next in England in November, the linear power supply topology gave me a significant nod to go in the direction of Reiki, and your post is I consider further proof that this new Switch is presently a silent winner, with a thorough bred pedigree....

Last edited:
I had a decent chat with Nigel the owner of Reiki recently, a very affable and likeable chap, I was originally looking at getting an Ediscreation Silent Switch Extreme after fairly extensive research on literally dozens of audiophile switches, but have now decided to buy the Reiki Superswitch Pro when I am next in England in November, after putting two and two together and finding out that the person behind the linear power supply is considered by many to be the best in the world by many audiophiles, was a significant nod for me to go in the direction of Reiki, and your post is I consider further proof that this new Switch is presently a silent winner, with a thorough bred pedigree....
Check out the Ansuz line. Borreson has some terrific noise reduction tech inside.

Check out the Ansuz line. Borreson has some terrific noise reduction tech inside.
Careful mentioning Ansuz, I did earlier in the thread and got berated for it.

Reactions: Di-fi
Careful mentioning Ansuz, I did earlier in the thread and got berated for it.

Really? My switch was a godsend in terms of sound quality boost. The best part is I saw these switches being built in Aalborg so I can vouch for the build quality.

I compared the Ansuz switch in a system against the Reiki. This guy had a lot of pre-filtering going on -- an optical isolator and the Muon Pro. But we plugged into the Ansuz and then into the Reiki. So, both had the same pre-filter. The sound was very close between the two. Although the Reiki is less than half the cost of the Ansuz.

A better comparison would have been with just the two switches and no sort of pre-filter to get a head-to-head comparison between them.

Reactions: NigelB
Really? My switch was a godsend in terms of sound quality boost. The best part is I saw these switches being built in Aalborg so I can vouch for the build quality.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Ansuz switch. Just elicited a lot of negative response. I have tried a number of switches, and continue too, and the Ansuz still is the best in my system.

It is hard and takes a bunch of time to try many of the various switches looking for a "best". If you found one that works really well in your system then that is great. All switches seem to work to reduce noise. Some better than others. Getting any audiophile switch is going to be much better than nothing.

With all of the pre-filtering in the comparision above, the Ansuz came the closest of the various audiophile switches I have compared to the Reiki in terms of quietness and dynamics.

I have invested in a Melco S10 Network Switch with separate Linear Power Supply which is very versatile and caters for all network connections and I highly recommend it.

The S10 is Melco’s flagship data switch and comprises a ‘head’ unit and a power unit, separating the sensitive data-carrying areas of the design from the power supply. The two-box approach echoes that of the N10/2 library, and offers the least compromise when it comes to ultimate sound quality.

The S10’s head unit is based on a heavily upgraded S100 network switch, and benefits from a greatly improved power management section, better aluminium casework and a rigid-steel screened chassis.

The rear panel connections include different-speed RJ45 Ethernet ports: 4x 100 MB and 4x 1 GB, plus 2x 1 GB SFP.

Features
  • Two SFP ports allow for the connection of compatible optical fibre components, such as Lumin
  • A 1.5 MB of buffer capability to deal with erratic external connectivity, for a stable and resilient data stream
  • Audiophile techniques in the power supply with a bank of audio-grade capacitors to ensure the lowest noise environment
  • A rigid steel chassis with full aluminium casework
Specifications
Connectivity
Ports

4 x 100Mb/E RJ45
4 x 1000Mb/E RJ45
2 x Fibre SFP/LC

Power
Dedicated 12 V toroidal separate power supply

Size - 215 x 61 x 269 mm (W H L) x 2

Attachments

• Melco S10 Network Data Switch with Linear Power Supply.jpg
    Melco S10 Network Data Switch with Linear Power Supply.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 19

Yes and no. Sometimes people get a little overboard with it. In this application (TCP/IP Streaming). Network throughput is much critical and relies on the switching hardware's performance where ever the traffic is managed (either by the router or a VLAN by a managed switch.) Even though I don't run that kind of system any more because of this design constraint relying on the network hardware performance, I know its limitations from experience in the past. The type of network audio I use is called direct mac addressing from a broadcast source over UDP with redundant network and real time error correction that is one of the standards adopted in industry for studios, theaters, concert halls, amusement parks, etc. One of my reasons why I went to this system is so my husband and others can review songs elsewhere besides in his control room.

How your network is laid out as well as the hardware used determines performance with TCP/IP streaming. I just surprised that the audiophile sector still utilizes this technology. Since it is dated and there are other and better networking audio technologies widely used.

Yes and no. Sometimes people get a little overboard with it. In this application (TCP/IP Streaming). Network throughput is much critical and relies on the switching hardware's performance where ever the traffic is managed (either by the router or a VLAN by a managed switch.) Even though I don't run that kind of system any more because of this design constraint relying on the network hardware performance, I know its limitations from experience in the past. The type of network audio I use is called direct mac addressing from a broadcast source over UDP with redundant network and real time error correction that is one of the standards adopted in industry for studios, theaters, concert halls, amusement parks, etc. One of my reasons why I went to this system is so my husband and others can review songs elsewhere besides in his control room.

How your network is laid out as well as the hardware used determines performance with TCP/IP streaming. I just surprised that the audiophile sector still utilizes this technology. Since it is dated and there are other and better networking audio technologies widely used.
Better? Really?

I think we need to be cautious in extrapolating from either corporate networks or other domains into music reproduction in hifi systems.

If we consider data capacity/bandwidth issues, it actually makes more sense that TCP/IP has stuck in the audio world than in the corporate world. Even hi-res audio is remarkably undemanding of a network as it requires so little bandwidth, and the error correction built into the protocols has no impact on sound quality - unless you happen to sending your audio data around a network which is in a demanding corporate setting and pushing at the limits of that network’s performance.
There are no design constraints in TCP/IP which impact data transmission or sound quality, and to call TCP/IP proven is the understatement of all understatements, so it is and will remain wholly fit for purpose as far into the future as most of us dare predict.

If we consider data capacity/bandwidth issues, it actually makes more sense that TCP/IP has stuck in the audio world than in the corporate world. Even hi-res audio is remarkably undemanding of a network as it requires so little bandwidth, and the error correction built into the protocols has no impact on sound quality - unless you happen to sending your audio data around a network which is in a demanding corporate setting and pushing at the limits of that network’s performance.
I would imagine it would be all into how the tcp/ip networking is applied. If the server is just a computer with a player and audio interface without streaming speakers there really isn't much need of hardware demand compare to one that has additional ethernet ports on the server to connect streaming speakers. But even wiring this, theoretically, to get the best performance out of that you don't stream into the computing network cause then there will be interruptions to the sustained transfer rate which is the constraint of TCP/IP. I think the application of a single source device limits the implementation. In contrast, I can listen to my 1982 Technics tuner, a internet stream, whats playing on the TV in the den, the studio, my cassette deck, the turntable from any room independently from each other and the source devices not in the same room.

It is hard and takes a bunch of time to try many of the various switches looking for a "best". If you found one that works really well in your system then that is great.

It certainly does take a significant amount of time.

For me personally I LOVE trying and tweaking digital. It's the most satisfying for me with easily discernible differences. Of all the topics I discuss I am most passionate about digital.

I agree with you about finding a switch that is good enough to use. But then I LOVE trying everything else as well looking for that next "digital high". LOL.

To your point - you need to either choose to be satisfied with a very good switch or be committed to serious amounts of time and effort in trial.

It certainly does take a significant amount of time.

For me personally I LOVE trying and tweaking digital. It's the most satisfying for me with easily discernible differences. Of all the topics I discuss I am most passionate about digital.

I agree with you about finding a switch that is good enough to use. But then I LOVE trying everything else as well looking for that next "digital high". LOL.

To your point - you need to either choose to be satisfied with a very good switch or be committed to serious amounts of time and effort in trial.

While the Reiki was an uptic out of the box, it took a couple of weeks for it to sing. So shootouts with switches need to take some time I think. I considered trying other switches before I decided but did not have the mental energy for trying more switches. I’m sure there are other legit choices.

Reactions: Pokey77
While the Reiki was an uptic out of the box, it took a couple of weeks for it to sing. So shootouts with switches need to take some time I think. I considered trying other switches before I decided but did not have the mental energy for trying more switches. I’m sure there are other legit choices.
I agree.

When I did my 16-switch shootout it took a SIGNIFICANT amount time to burn them all in first, then try the combo's and such. I also took notes on it all and feel that you need a MINIMUM (on average) of at least 200 hours burn in before they start to sound their best.

The one thing I did do to save time was put them all in line of each other to burn them in faster initially then took them out and tried the individually and in combo's.

I haven't tried the Reiki yet though people seem to like it a lot. So far for me *PERSONALLY* the Telegartner M12 Premium is still king of the hill in my system to my ear.

I agree.

When I did my 16-switch shootout it took a SIGNIFICANT amount time to burn them all in first, then try the combo's and such. I also took notes on it all and feel that you need a MINIMUM (on average) of at least 200 hours burn in before they start to sound their best.

The one thing I did do to save time was put them all in line of each other to burn them in faster initially then took them out and tried the individually and in combo's.

I haven't tried the Reiki yet though people seem to like it a lot. So far for me *PERSONALLY* the Telegartner M12 Premium is still king of the hill in my system to my ear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu