Best audiophile switch

This is all based on your system. The same switches you tested may sound totally different in my system. So really as far as switches are concerned you really need to try them yourself. How about a bunch of us get together split the cost and send them along for testing like the cable company does.

I would imagine it would be all into how the tcp/ip networking is applied. If the server is just a computer with a player and audio interface without streaming speakers there really isn't much need of hardware demand compare to one that has additional ethernet ports on the server to connect streaming speakers. But even wiring this, theoretically, to get the best performance out of that you don't stream into the computing network cause then there will be interruptions to the sustained transfer rate which is the constraint of TCP/IP. I think the application of a single source device limits the implementation. In contrast, I can listen to my 1982 Technics tuner, a internet stream, whats playing on the TV in the den, the studio, my cassette deck, the turntable from any room independently from each other and the source devices not in the same room.
If by "best performance" you mean anything audible, I think we might be trying to solve a non-issue here; data transfer issues have never been an issue for audio.
I think anyone else would similarly have no problem listening to all those devices in all those systems in all those rooms... apart from the sonic confusion arising from listening to 6 devices at once!

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli
This is all based on your system. The same switches you tested may sound totally different in my system. So really as far as switches are concerned you really need to try them yourself. How about a bunch of us get together split the cost and send them along for testing like the cable company does.

BINGO. And that's what I've been saying in every single video I do on digital.

The lines that are in my front yard, wall of my house, and the interference I face based on the amount of polluting stuff in my house is complete different and unique vs any other.

Better? Really?

I think we need to be cautious in extrapolating from either corporate networks or other domains into music reproduction in hifi systems.

If we consider data capacity/bandwidth issues, it actually makes more sense that TCP/IP has stuck in the audio world than in the corporate world. Even hi-res audio is remarkably undemanding of a network as it requires so little bandwidth, and the error correction built into the protocols has no impact on sound quality - unless you happen to sending your audio data around a network which is in a demanding corporate setting and pushing at the limits of that network’s performance.
There are no design constraints in TCP/IP which impact data transmission or sound quality, and to call TCP/IP proven is the understatement of all understatements, so it is and will remain wholly fit for purpose as far into the future as most of us dare predict.
We love your super switches in Atlanta! Great product Nigel

Reactions: NigelB
Has anyone tried the Totaldac d1 switch? 3 RJ45 ports: Streamer, NAS, Router

"The d1-switch uses 4 internally chained ethernet switches, an OCXO oscillator, a mains filter and embeds natively a Totaldac live-power power supply, already proven for Totaldac DACs, streamers, drivers and amplifiers."

"gigabit ethernet for fast copies of files to the NAS/server/core and 100Mbit ethernet for the streamer output for the best sound"

"4490euros incl VAT in Europe, 4200euros excl VAT out of Europe"

Last edited:
If by "best performance" you mean anything audible, I think we might be trying to solve a non-issue here; data transfer issues have never been an issue for audio.
There was a couple of instances before I observed. Once with my cable provider's IP phone and internet that was slow and static on the phone that magically they did something (when I called them) to where the phone static cleared up and the internet sped up. The other time was when I connected two Linux ALSA audio computer's sound through direct ip (play music on one and listen on another) and my test router that was a store bought router could not keep up. However, an unmanaged cheap switch was able to keep up.

Reactions: NigelB
, here was a couple of instances before I observed. Once with my cable provider's IP phone and internet that was slow and static on the phone that magically they did something (when I called them) to where the phone static cleared up and the internet sped up. The other time was when I connected two Linux ALSA audio computer's sound through direct ip (play music on one and listen on another) and my test router that was a store bought router could not keep up. However, an unmanaged cheap switch was able to keep up.
Internet filters like the Stack SmoothLan and NA Muon have worked quite well for me as will as TeraDak T-S212 with OCXO Clk and Sonore OM as an optical break. 3 D-Link switches in my switch room cascaded where my fiber converts to copper from my ISP Modem. 1, DGS-1016D and 2, DGS-108GL. I have no complaints and I am thoroughly enjoying this setup. Filters are on both the clean and dirty side of the optical converters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Synaxis
3 D-Link switches in my switch room cascaded where my fiber converts to copper from my ISP Modem.
I love the 3 cascade D-Links I use as well. I found (IMO) the key was to use two different models to get the best vs. three of the same.

They were surprisingly better sounding than the other comparably priced switch brands I tried.

I love the 3 cascade D-Links I use as well. I found (IMO) the key was to use two different models to get the best vs. three of the same.

They were surprisingly better sounding than the other comparably priced switch brands I tried.
Mr Greek. Yes I did get the idea from your posts and YT Video. I did order a stack of switches 9wife though I lost my mind (no comment) and played around with different combinations. Used your research as a base line and had the same findings. Thanks for your insight.

Reactions: Pokey77
I love my Ansuz switch
Ansuz D2 is the best of the bunch! I have had quite a few Powerswitches and tried almost all of them except the new 22000 euro D-TC GOLD Signature!
On the top of the podium is the D2 (which I use in my double switch system) together with the current Telegartner M12 Premium which is the best switch I have ever tried

Reactions: J007B
Telegartner M12 Premium which is the best switch I have ever tried

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Telegartner M12 Premium switch.

• Love
Reactions: gionaz
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Telegartner M12 Premium switch.
it is now the KING!
I would like to play with some network cables that are up to his standards (not the ones supplied by Telegartner, which are good anyway, but I think there are better ones out there).

it is now the KING!
I would like to play with some network cables that are up to his standards (not the ones supplied by Telegartner, which are good anyway, but I think there are better ones out there).
I use the supplied TG ones into their OPTICAL BRIDGE and then run the Ethernet of my choice out of their Bridge into my Server-->Streamer-->DAC.

...may I just add: the Taiko switch, fed by their DDC filter/distributor, powered by a good LPS is a contender for Super Switch solution.
just to get a sense of cost...about $9k or so?

Taiko Switch lists for 4,800 € and the DDC/filter(s) for 2,400 €. You don't need the DDC to run the switch. You do, however, need a power supply, so whatever that costs, based on one's choice. And there is a router too, BTW. I use the switch and DDC, and I quite like that set-up to the Extreme.

Reactions: PYP
Taiko Switch lists for 4,800 € and the DDC/filter(s) for 2,400 €. You don't need the DDC to run the switch. You do, however, need a power supply, so whatever that costs, based on one's choice. And there is a router too, BTW. I use the switch and DDC, and I quite like that set-up to the Extreme.
Interesting. LPS > DDC > switch (and router if desired). do you use the filtered or unfiltered output? That really is a cool feature...

Seems one could start with the switch and use its SMPS and then upgrade later if desired. No doubt an LPS would sound better and the DDC must be the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu