Best turntable under 50k?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I agree to that?!! I checked out his website just a while ago… and I went a little bit lost… sorry to say. Though very beautiful cartridges. I can imagine they sounds magic.
Just look it like this:

You write a little note about what you already have and like, what you wish for in addition. Maybe a few personal anecdotes about music you love.

A dialogue is started around some basic choices. *your* cart is built. :)

Reactions: cuntigh

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Just look it like this:

You write a little note about what you already have and like, what you wish for in addition. Maybe a few personal anecdotes about music you love.

Dear Solypsa,

Hmm, maybe I misunderstand something here, sorry… I do not understand your last note. If it was refering to the website of Tedeska, I still thinks it was a little bit confusing between the models, but they all looked like masterpices though.

All the best

/ Jk

Reactions: Solypsa

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Just look it like this:

Ahhh - now I get what you mean… sorry, worked all day… haha… Truly sorry man.. my mind was still at work… I belive ..or something…haha…

Okay - so when you order a Tadeska,

-”You write a little note about what you already have and like, what you wish for in addition. Maybe a few personal anecdotes about music you love.”
”A dialogue is started around some basic choices. *your* cart is built.”…

Did I understand you correct this time?

In this case… ”NOW we’re talking”!!
Then it’s like designing your own hypercar with Christian Von Koenigsegg, right!!

Very cool indeed…. Thank you.

/ Jk

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Some people prefer to order a model and that's it. Some prefer the 'conversation route'. Either way is good :)

Of course the build still has to be in the Tedeska wheelhouse, ( not a random request like make me a copy of such and such cart ;) ) ideally a melding of what Hyun Lee loves to build along with your preferences and system requirements in mind.

Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Some people prefer to order a model and that's it. Some prefer the 'conversation route'. Either way is good :)

Of course the build still has to be in the Tedeska wheelhouse, not a random request ( like make me a copy of such and such cart ;) )
Sounds very reasonable ?!
I would love to hear one - one day… That would be awesome.
Thanx for sharing the info, Solypsa.

/ Jk

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
I know the OP bought a table, but I’m shocked he was able to find anything under $50k…

On a serious note, I would personally have made room in the budget for active vibration cancellation. Just the way it allows an electron microscope to focus, it does the same for turntables (and can bee demonstrated by turning the active off).

Also wanted to mention Peter Lederman has told me the strain gauge is great for playing mono LP’s. Not sure if it’s the way it treats motion or it’s phase behavior.

I personally use a table from TTW. After I got my Momentus Supreme, Larry came out with a table with a copper 100LB platter, which I haven’t seen anyone else do. It has the option of rim or belt drive, but mine uses 3 belts, as I never upgraded to the rim drive when it became available.

I know rim drive is supposed to be good, but I just can’t imagine my 70lb platter, with center weight and the flywheel effect of the periphery ring with its underhung brass weights, bring modulated in speed by the cart/vinyl drag in an audible way.

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
I have one of these. It seems nice.
20210326_151707.jpg

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Reactions: aangen

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Hi 'aangen',
How do you like the MSL Platinum Signature ?
p.s. Very nice TT set-up :cool:
It is so very easy to listen to! I have never thought it was something I could switch away from. Second arm, second cartridge some day. Maybe. It's a keeper!!!

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
It is so very easy to listen to! I have never thought it was something I could switch away from. Second arm, second cartridge some day. Maybe. It's a keeper!!!
Thank you 'aangen' for your reply and feed back on the MSK Platinum Sig. Much appreciated.

I find the same with my current MSL Eminent Ex i.e. very easy to listen to with no fatigue (and yet I don't feel I am missing anything from what I am hearing i.e. excellent across all frequency ranges for all music genres) and wanting to listen to more records (which I believe is the real acid test on whether you like a hifi component or your system in general).

I am just wondering whether to upgrade my Ex or not, and how much better a MSL Platinum Sig. or a MSL Gold Sig. will be over what I am hearing from my Eminent Ex ?

Reactions: mtemur

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
I wouldn’t take the Galder. Lacks weight and drive.

Brinkmann balance is better than the Bergmann and very good.

i would personally go with the vyger at that or any amount above that, but depends on your profile, if you want multiple arms, you will have to work on it a bit, etc

CS port with the arm is under that amount, with the Tat2 you will get two arms for that amount.

Also this depends on the music you listen to, the type of records, and the rest of the system.

In 95% cases I would just get an idler with the DaVa, and you will get more mileage than spending on a table with another cartridge, and put that money into quality records which will make a lesser TT sound better than a better TT playing lower quality records.
Regarding arms and carts, perfection to me is a 3-4 armed scenario...a Denon 103 derivative or upgrade for used record finds, a mono, a field coil cart and a VDH or something of that ilk. Maybe even a top Koetsu to have a few different presentations. I would have said a London Decca Ref somewhere in there as it's such a singular portrayal to me, but I understand it's not being made of late.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Regarding arms and carts, perfection to me is a 3-4 armed scenario...a Denon 103 derivative or upgrade for used record finds, a mono, a field coil cart and a VDH or something of that ilk. Maybe even a top Koetsu to have a few different presentations. I would have said a London Decca Ref somewhere in there as it's such a singular portrayal to me, but I understand it's not being made of late.

My friend has the Koetsu Jade Platinum Signature and Koetsu Urushi with paratrace and London decca ref, all on FR 66s. Just has to swap headshells. The Decca is quite better. For me there is no point owning his rest except to try and scratch an itch to listen. Having heard Koetsu Urushi, Blue Sky, Coralstone Platinum with and without diamond cantilever, Rosewood Platinum Signature, and a few others, there is nothing different in their presentation except to induce boredom. A SPU is quite superior if someone wants a pleasant yet exciting sound.

I like the Miyajima Zero, but the Vyger red sparrow plays monos better, and plays stereos. So why have the mono? Ok, if someone insists, fine, a second arm. Regarding Field coil cart, I have heard the AN IO field coil thrice now, once in a compare, though not to the DaVa. But I just find the DaVa quite superior, and another owner of the AN IO field coil sold his AN after receiving the DaVa. I can do a compare quite easily once I receive mine.

So, for me, end game scenario is quite simple. Vyger with Red Sparrow on the linear tracker and a additional pivot mounted on the Vyger for the DaVa field coil. Someone can easily swap headshells to compare Koetsus or such on the pivot. As someone who in 2017 who started waxing praise on vdh stradivarius on this forum, it is no more on my horizon with the DaVa easily leading as the pivoted favorite. It does not go on the Vyger arm.

I don't see much point of running 4 carts except to facilitate compares - I love it when my hosts have that as it works for me as a visitor, but eventually one ends up listening regularly to a couple of carts max.

Sure, if a new cart comes along and one wants to try it, they can easily swap on an existing arm, since they would know their current cartridge pretty well. You can set up an arm with headshell or a multiple wand arm like Moerch DP-8 to swap carts

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
My friend has the Koetsu Jade Platinum Signature and Koetsu Urushi with paratrace and London decca ref, all on FR 66s. Just has to swap headshells. The Decca is quite better. For me there is no point owning his rest except to try and scratch an itch to listen. Having heard Koetsu Urushi, Blue Sky, Coralstone Platinum with and without diamond cantilever, Rosewood Platinum Signature, and a few others, there is nothing different in their presentation except to induce boredom. A SPU is quite superior if someone wants a pleasant yet exciting sound.

I like the Miyajima Zero, but the Vyger red sparrow plays monos better, and plays stereos. So why have the mono? Ok, if someone insists, fine, a second arm. Regarding Field coil cart, I have heard the AN IO field coil thrice now, once in a compare, though not to the DaVa. But I just find the DaVa quite superior, and another owner of the AN IO field coil sold his AN after receiving the DaVa. I can do a compare quite easily once I receive mine.

So, for me, end game scenario is quite simple. Vyger with Red Sparrow on the linear tracker and a additional pivot mounted on the Vyger for the DaVa field coil. Someone can easily swap headshells to compare Koetsus or such on the pivot. As someone who in 2017 who started waxing praise on vdh stradivarius on this forum, it is no more on my horizon with the DaVa easily leading as the pivoted favorite. It does not go on the Vyger arm.

I don't see much point of running 4 carts except to facilitate compares - I love it when my hosts have that as it works for me as a visitor, but eventually one ends up listening regularly to a couple of carts max.

Sure, if a new cart comes along and one wants to try it, they can easily swap on an existing arm, since they would know their current cartridge pretty well. You can set up an arm with headshell or a multiple wand arm like Moerch DP-8 to swap carts
I failed to mention the X-quisite and Goldenbergs.

i also didn't fall in love with Miyajima like so many of my compatriots. My Ikeda mono was i felt a better and others better still.

Multiple arms are an expense to be sure and their efficacy for a home user might be comparatively nominal. If you're demoing folks, it is a benefit. It may also allow for the best arm match for each cart.

Although called upon to do it frequently, i don't like setting up arms...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I failed to mention the X-quisite and Goldenbergs.

i also didn't fall in love with Miyajima like so many of my compatriots. My Ikeda mono was i felt a better and others better still.

Multiple arms are an expense to be sure and their efficacy for a home user might be comparatively nominal. If you're demoing folks, it is a benefit. It may also allow for the best arm match for each cart.

Although called upon to do it frequently, i don't like setting up arms...

Will be interesting to hear the Ikeda mono. Audioquattr has it on the Ikeda.

It is fine to have multiple arms if the owner wants to experiment, and the expense is endless, but here the thread was asking for a 50k bounded recommendation.

I do agree that best arm match is required to be found, so I am not a fan of having 4 of the same arms and just rotating carts across.

Someone like Fremer who reviews everything on SAT, and now a Schroder arm not known to anyone else, is going to find it hard to relate to the usual arm cart matches.

Ideally, one would need a linear tracker, 2 of the three of the pivoted tangential trackers, 2 expensive arms like Primary control field coil and SAT, couple of commonly used mid priced arms for general compliance medium weight carts, and couple of those heavy arms. Plus rotate some arms in and out :) - have headshells and SUTs to match.

Last edited:

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Will be interesting to hear the Ikeda mono. Audioquattr has it on the Ikeda.

It is fine to have multiple arms if the owner wants to experiment, and the expense is endless, but here the thread was asking for a 50k rbounded recommendation.

I do agree that best arm match is required to be found, so I am not a fan of having 4 of the same arms and just rotating carts across.

Someone like Fremer who reviews everything on SAT, and now a Schroder arm not known to anyone else, is going to find it hard to relate to the usual arm cart matches.

Ideally, one would need a linear tracker, 2 of the three of the pivoted tangential trackers, 2 expensive arms like Primary control field coil and SAT, couple of commonly used mid priced arms for general compliance medium weight carts, and couple of those heavy arms. Plus rotate some arms in and out :) - have headshells and SUTs to match.
Agreed. It's a mini-shot of the challenges for a reviewer of any kind. I always felt i would need 6 or 7 systems to give everyone a fair shake as a reviewer. Of course, one can greatly limit that which you would review in an attempt to do the same.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fred … What would be your weapon of choice that betteres the Miyajima and Ikeda ?

dava mono. Haven’t compared but Leif said it sounds like the Dava basic on monos, so…

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
dava mono. Haven’t compared but Leif said it sounds like the Dava basic on monos, so…
There are a number of stereo cartridges which may be ordered in mono. All to say, they may not be listed as a mono offering. For instance I understand that Lyra can accommodate mono versions of many of their carts. I like the Soundsmith carts to that end. The converted Hyperion I used was quite wonderful.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing