Vienna

VIP/Donor
Dear Milan,

indeed I have dealt with some controllers and motors of different types.
I do believe on the importance of the speed stability, which should be independent from the groove modulation. Unfortunately I am one of those, who can feel the speed variation and this can drive me crazy, my daughter can feel it too. On the other hand, my wife and son are leading a happier life as they do not care.

Speed stability is offering me a superior involving sound experience and keeps me involved for hours. Speed accuracy on the other hand is of secondary importance as it is affecting the pitch.

The speed stability and speed accuracy are directly associated with the interaction of the motor, the belt, the platter’s rotational mass ( rotational mass simplified ; how easy or difficult is to rotate the platter or to stop it once it is rotating and depends upon the platter’s mass and how this mass is distributed) and the bearing’s (bearing and thrust) quality.

None of the above elements (motor, belt, platter, bearing) can provide independently or alone, the speed stability and or speed accuracy. These are the fruits of well designed and engineered turntable and Brinkmann did it with Balance. The synergy of these elements is such that no speed feedback of any form is needed.

In regards with your question whether I hear a significant difference, my answer is definitely yes. But again to this question , probably you will get different answers from different listeners, who can (or can’t) feel the speed variation even in tiny amounts.

p.s. besides motors and controllers, I have extensively experimented with different belt shapes and materials as well as different bearings and thrust plates.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Dear Milan,

indeed I have dealt with some controllers and motors of different types.
I do believe on the importance of the speed stability, which should be independent from the groove modulation. Unfortunately I am one of those, who can feel the speed variation and this can drive me crazy, my daughter can feel it too. On the other hand, my wife and son are leading a happier life as they do not care.

Speed stability is offering me a superior involving sound experience and keeps me involved for hours. Speed accuracy on the other hand is of secondary importance as it is affecting the pitch.

The speed stability and speed accuracy are directly associated with the interaction of the motor, the belt, the platter’s rotational mass ( rotational mass simplified ; how easy or difficult is to rotate the platter or to stop it once it is rotating and depends upon the platter’s mass and how this mass is distributed) and the bearing’s (bearing and thrust) quality.

None of the above elements (motor, belt, platter, bearing) can provide independently or alone, the speed stability and or speed accuracy. These are the fruits of well designed and engineered turntable and Brinkmann did it with Balance. The synergy of these elements is such that no speed feedback of any form is needed.

In regards with your question whether I hear a significant difference, my answer is definitely yes. But again to this question , probably you will get different answers from different listeners, who can (or can’t) feel the speed variation even in tiny amounts.

p.s. besides motors and controllers, I have extensively experimented with different belt shapes and materials as well as different bearings and thrust plates.
Thank you Savvas. Do you hear a difference of 0,05 rpm if the speed is stable ? I can not ! If you change the speed to 33.38 rpm instead of 33.33 rpm and it is not fluctuating, i can not hear the difference. But the micro pulsating of a ac motor with a low number of poles corresponds into bad sound, even if the speed is absolutely stable numerically o_O Let me correct the statement and say that bad sound is of course relative ;)

Reactions: mtemur

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Thank you Savvas. Do you hear a difference of 0,05 rpm if the speed is stable ? I can not ! If you change the speed to 33.38 rpm instead of 33.33 rpm and it is not fluctuating, i can not hear the difference. But the micro pulsating of a ac motor with a low number of poles corresponds into bad sound, even if the speed is absolutely stable numerically o_O
It’s what I wrote you, the speed stability matters more than speed accuracy. I agree with you on your AC motors findings, I used to own the worst ever ac motor the Hurst, driven by the worst possible controller, the ADS

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I know a guy that has 100 of those belts lying around, and not enough years left to live, to use them all ! ;)
@Kcin , i am strongly suggesting you to get EPDM calibrated belt for your Balance.
By doing so, I am experiencing much higher speed accuracy and improved lower wow/flutter.
With the original belt the measured wow/flutter was 0.0622% (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/brinkmann-balance-kuzma-4p.31089/#post-663940), with the EPDM belt, the measured wow/flutter (with Analogue Magik) is 0.0542, much better than many direct drives.

View attachment 72349

P.S. Unthinkable performance of the super silent Brinkmann motor, power supply and bearing, especially when you will consider that Helmut is using an all analogue controller and no speed feed back and of course no hall sensors
second one to ask, and a source for these EPDM belts?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It’s what I wrote you, the speed stability matters more than speed accuracy. I agree with you on your AC motors findings, I used to own the worst ever ac motor the Hurst, driven by the worst possible controller, the ADS

Quite the adventure you've had moving on from VPI. It's been fun to read.

Reactions: Vienna

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
It’s an interesting observation and I would agree from my listening, speed stability more than (absolute) speed accuracy is key. Not surprisingly different then how we perceive frequency of say, selective notes played from a actual musical instrument. Ivor Tiefenbrun of Linn spoke of this in their research and listening with power supplies/speed controls for the Sondek Lp12 in contrast to the direct-drive speed accuracy focus and advertising of those days.

Really good timbre is a function of stability.

To know where we are or might be going, it is sometimes helpful to look where we came from, ah?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Since 1985, two elements have only changed on Brinkmann Balance design during these 36 years of continuous production. The motor once (the noisy Pabst motor was replaced by the very silent Brinkmann Sinus at mid 2006) and the optional Ront tube power supply (three times).

Brinkmann is one of the very few turntable manufacturers who has designed and is manufacturing his own motors and power supplies. He is also one of the few that keeps Balance turntable all-analogue, from the Power Supply to the Controller and Motor.

Surprisingly without the use of any feedback or hall sensors he is achieving an exemplary speed stability and speed accuracy.

While I am waiting for the delivery of the Ront III, I searched the Internet archives , for the Ront evolution from the first generation to the current

I used the ‘WayBack Machine ‘ and had the chance to visit Brinkmann’s site and notes as early as of 2001.

194F85D0-DAC2-4D68-B837-EA621CA68D28.jpeg

Originally, the Ront power supply was conceived as a concept for isolating the power line from the motor and controller supply line. Brinkmann’s idea was to provide the PABST motor and controller, with purified power. As a result end-users , were reporting increased clarity, openness and spaciousness.

Ront first generation was using 2x EC360, 2x 6Bw4 and one 6111w soldered on the circuit

C3959C99-81B2-47BC-83EE-54CF18DC9723.jpeg
22F61995-0CE6-4A6C-8313-770A94913BDF.jpeg

With the introduction of Sinus motors, the need of increased current to feed them, led to the redesign of Ront in a Class A single ended topology, which among others offered a further improvement in terms of smoothness and transparency.

The tube supply utilized two high current low resistance pentodes (PL36) and one full wave rectifier (5AR4). All tubes intended for long life. Secondary AC voltage is rectified by the full wave rectifier and fed to both of the output pentodes via a line choke reducing even more mains noise. The output voltage is stabilized by controlling the output pentode stage

ADA2F1ED-8E4B-41A2-88D5-FB0933F11411.jpeg

From Brinkmann’s Analogue Manual :

The optional RöNt II tube power supply is especially made for the direct drive motors of the Oasis and Bardo—as well as the new Sinus motors of the Balance and Spyder—and fits their demands of start-up, drive and stand-by current consumption perfectly. It delivers a stabilized output voltage of 24VDC; the output is short circuit proof.

The output voltage ramps down when the current exceeds 500mA, which is more than the motors need during start up. Once the platters reach proper speed the current draw is much less, as it is during stand-by.

The tube supply utilizes two high current low resistance tetrodes (PL36) and a full wave rectifier (5AR4). All tubes are made for long life; the tetrodes are good for 10000 hours under full load (which is by far not needed here).

Secondary AC voltage is rectified by the full wave rectifier and directly fed to the current tetrodes. A filter network of capacitors and a choke feed a clean voltage of about 180VDC to the regulating tetrodes. The output voltage of 24VDC is controlled by referencing to a temperature-stabilized voltage reference.

For start-up, the motor of the turntable needs about 450mA for the first brief moment, then the current drops to about 80mA. You may reduce the start-up current draw by giving the platter a push. (As the Direct Drive motor used in both Bardo and Oasis was purpose-designed for slow and gentle start-up, giving the platter a light push will expedite start-up.)

When switched to stop, the supply reduces the output current to about 60mA, just enough to hold the motor electronics under current for the next start. The tube supply may remain in this stand-by state (motor „stop“) for a long time, but to increase the tubes life, please switch off the mains switch when the supply is not used for some time like overnight.

Ront III introduced some weeks ago.
As per Brinkmann, the need to do so was triggered by the quality inconsistency of the today production vacuum tubes and the rarity of quality NOS tubes. Therefore for Helmut and Matthias, the design and production of their tube, was the logical thing to get over the problem
Brinkmann BZ34 (which has unlimited lifespan and flawless reliability), through its complex circuit, emulates the function and sound of the GZ34 NOS Mullard tube, without its downsides of wear and failure. It can also be installed to Ront II power supplies.
Besides the introduction of BZ34, Brinkmann has made some circuit modifications, he has re-designed the high voltage path and has upgraded the transformers.

FEE4EFEF-505D-4BD1-A7ED-EEAEF60FEA88.jpeg

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Very cool report Savvas ! Can't wait to hear your impression of the new controller compared to the original one, you know i love this stuff. Im always baffled how much difference in sound a good controller and motor can make :)

Last edited:

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Ront III has just been delivered to my office.
Shortly I will compare it with my Ront II and will revert with videos, measurements and sound experience.

0D2AF8FA-AEA5-471C-83DF-D8FA4E0B8EE0.jpeg 65B53523-3CB3-4DF5-B037-58F294B23E20.jpeg 1A809D73-2A43-426A-AAE0-D615DBC96B24.jpeg

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You always get the cool toys Savvas ! :)

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
I can’t help but be fascinated, happy to be a part of your journey, and eager to hear your impressions Vienna as this newest RöNt III settles into its new home in your kit. Of course, I’m simply delighted in your most recent acquisition. Congrats sir!

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I can’t help but be fascinated, happy to be a part of your journey, and eager to hear your impressions Vienna as this newest RöNt III settles into its new home in your kit. Of course, I’m simply delighted in your most recent acquisition. Congrats sir!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate this

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Ront II and Ront III side by side. Obviously there are, some differences on the circuits and components
7C872F2E-E82D-4267-9051-6F8A0722DA34.jpeg

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Since the kids were attending some e-classes yesterday, I could only install Ront III and take some measurements.

What I noticed from the beginning is that Ront III is totally silent, I mean dead quite. With Ront II, with my ear next to the power supply I could hear a slight buzzing which was further slightly increasing with the motor running.

My vibration measurements by placing the iphone on top, on both Ront versions, verified my observation. In addition a resonance measured at 17 Hz at Ront II, is no more present at Ront III.

Ront II measurements :

62D5AB86-5F4B-4E12-B931-95FEBFAD3D9E.jpeg

Ront III measurements:

185A2A54-ECD1-4E49-8B9E-D0E890797296.jpeg

Measuring the performance of Brinkmann Balance, with Ront III powering the controller and motor its again evident that wow/flutter is slightly reduced and measured at 0.45% , while the speed is much more stable.

I am curious to see how much, these improvements, will affect the sound

Last edited:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Since the kids were attending some e-classes yesterday, I could only install Ront III and take some measurements.

What I noticed from the beginning is that Ront III is totally silent, I mean dead quite. With Ront II, with my ear next to the power supply I could hear a slight buzzing which was further slightly increasing with the motor running.

My vibration measurements by placing the iphone on top, on both Ront versions, verified my observation. In addition a resonance measured at 17 Hz at Ront II, is no more present at Ront III.

Ront II measurements :

View attachment 73928

Ront III measurements:

View attachment 73931

Measuring the performance of Brinkmann Balance, with Ront III powering the controller and motor its again evident that wow/flutter is slightly reduced and measured at 0.45% , while the speed is much more stable.

I am curious to see how much, these improvements, will affect the sound
Now switch the SS rectifier to the Ront II and take the same measurements.... what are the results?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Now switch the SS rectifier to the Ront II and take the same measurements.... what are the results?
Didnt try, I will check

Reactions: Kcin

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Vienna, that is a very nice review of the Ront power supplies. I'm not sure if the Balance has a SS power supply to heat the bearing and the Ront for the motor like my LaGrange did but I wonder if you have ever tried to power the motor with the solid state PS and compare it to the Ront II? I have been using a Bardo for awhile now and recently acquired a Ront II. The effect of the tube PS was not completely to my liking as I felt that it softened the sound a bit. I replaced the stock Sovtek rectifier with a metal base Amperex GZ34 I had lying around. This brought back the kick and "jump factor" that went missing with the solid state PS out of the chain. I'm guessing this is what the SS rectifier will do for you in the Ront III.

I know the Ront III is supposed to be more than just a rework to accommodate the new rectifier. If you have some "spare time" I'd be interested in how the Ront II with the SS rectifier installed compares to the Ront III :).

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Vienna, that is a very nice review of the Ront power supplies. I'm not sure if the Balance has a SS power supply to heat the bearing and the Ront for the motor like my LaGrange did but I wonder if you have ever tried to power the motor with the solid state PS and compare it to the Ront II? I have been using a Bardo for awhile now and recently acquired a Ront II. The effect of the tube PS was not completely to my liking as I felt that it softened the sound a bit. I replaced the stock Sovtek rectifier with a metal base Amperex GZ34 I had lying around. This brought back the kick and "jump factor" that went missing with the solid state PS out of the chain. I'm guessing this is what the SS rectifier will do for you in the Ront III.

I know the Ront III is supposed to be more than just a rework to accommodate the new rectifier. If you have some "spare time" I'd be interested in how the Ront II with the SS rectifier installed compares to the Ront III :).
Dear Nick
your experience with the ss power supply and Ront II with the Sovtek and then with Amperex GZ34 is very interesting and from my own experience very accurate.

The stock Sovtek GZ34 was not of my liking either. For this reason last October I had all valves replaced with Mullard NOS.

7C7D4666-2076-4757-8C77-51ED25E897E7.jpeg
3B8DAAD8-0278-4E97-9807-A1833BFA6C8C.jpeg

the improvement I got was very noticeable and I agree with your expression ‘ brought the kick and "jump factor"’

comparing the Ront II/ Mullard valves with the solid state power supply that powers the bearing heater, the second falls very very short in comparison with Ront II/Mullard being by far ahead. in comparison I felt the sound as harsh and felt the lack of spaces with the SS power supply that heats the bearing.

I will need sometime to compare Ront II/Mullard and Ront III/BZ34

take care

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing