Cable Modems

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
On a slightly different tack, does anyone know how the Motorola MB8600 compares to the Arris SB8200? They’re both using the same Broadcom chipset, but that’s not all that matters I’d guess. I’d read a number of complaints with the Arris locking up, and also being very sensitive to t3/t4 errors.

Check that. I decided to just buy the SB8200. Now I need to figure out whether to go with an all in one wireless router, that will feed my audio backbone and my other non-audio media needs, or drive a separate device just for wireless and maybe a managed switch for my Ethernet audio feeds.

Last edited:

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I got the SB8200 and it looks new and unused. Before hooking it up to the service feed I went to the default address to check it out. I was surprised to find no user name or password was needed. Is this normal?

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
I got the SB8200 and it looks new and unused. Before hooking it up to the service feed I went to the default address to check it out. I was surprised to find no user name or password was needed. Is this normal?

All I did was call xfinity to have the SB8200 authorized for my account. Once they made the change, it was plug and play. I never needed to access the user menu.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Can anyone confirm the SB 8200 is compatible with Spectrum? Arris' website lists the SB 8200 as Spectrum compatible but Spectrum's modem compatibility list doesn't show the 8200.

It appears that Spectrum approved and then retracted compatibility with the SB8200. According to reviews on that page, Spectrum will refuse to authorize SB8200 for customers. Must be some incompatibilities/bugs based on their testing.

According to @Xymox original post, the Netgear CM1000 is virtually identical.

I'm on a Broadcom-based Netgear CM600, powered by an old HDPlex 100W LPS. I'm thinking of trying the CM1000, in conjunction with upgrading to Spectrum's asymmetric 940 Mbps down/50 Mbps up "gigabit" offering. I wish I had a fiber provider. Since when is 50Mbps up a "gigabit" offering? ???

Has anyone tried the CM1000 yet?

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
It appears that Spectrum approved and then retracted compatibility with the SB8200. According to reviews on that page, Spectrum will refuse to authorize SB8200 for customers. Must be some incompatibilities/bugs based on their testing.

According to @Xymox original post, the Netgear CM1000 is virtually identical.

I'm on a Broadcom-based Netgear CM600, powered by an old HDPlex 100W LPS. I'm thinking of trying the CM1000, in conjunction with upgrading to Spectrum's asymmetric 940 Mbps down/50 Mbps up "gigabit" offering. I wish I had a fiber provider. Since when is 50Mbps up a "gigabit" offering? ???

Has anyone tried the CM1000 yet?
So I assume the Netgear CM1000 won't be approved by Spectrum either? I decided to leave my network as is for a few weeks since I have an Extreme on order and want to install it and run it for a while with the existing setup. I can run up to six cables from the street cable box so my plan after the Extreme arrives is to run an entirely seperate network with only the Extreme and a Wi Fi access point on it. For that I'll need a modem and router.

Reactions: ctydwn

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
So I assume the Netgear CM1000 won't be approved by Spectrum either? I decided to leave my network as is for a few weeks since I have an Extreme on order and want to install it and run it for a while with the existing setup. I can run up to six cables from the street cable box so my plan after the Extreme arrives is to run an entirely seperate network with only the Extreme and a Wi Fi access point on it. For that I'll need a modem and router.

According to this site: https://approvedmodemlist.com/charter-spectrum-approved-modems/

The CM1000v2 is approved, but I guess you need to ensure you get v2 when you buy.

nenon

Jan 29, 2020
Chicago
@austinpop - take a look at post #23. I have this modem and can send it to you if you want to try it. It's yours if you like it. From memory, it sounded better than the SB8200, but ti was limited to something like 340Mbps.
The chassis I ordered never arrived and the seller gave me a refund, so it's not in that chassis.

But that reminds me I was planning to to put my SB8200 in a similar chassis - I kind of forgot about this.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
@austinpop - take a look at post #23. I have this modem and can send it to you if you want to try it. It's yours if you like it. From memory, it sounded better than the SB8200, but ti was limited to something like 340Mbps.
The chassis I ordered never arrived and the seller gave me a refund, so it's not in that chassis.

But that reminds me I was planning to to put my SB8200 in a similar chassis - I kind of forgot about this.

Thanks! I'll get with you offline...

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
It appears that Spectrum approved and then retracted compatibility with the SB8200.

What?! I just bought one for use on a Spectrum system! o_O

(Later) I just checked their website and they still show the SB8200 rev.4 or higher as being supported.

(And a bit later still) I also just got off the phone with one of their Internet tech persons. He said the SB8200 rev.4 or higher is supported. Now either he’s just reading off the same website I’m looking at, and it’s wrong, or it’s right. I guess I’ll find out for myself on Saturday.

Last edited:

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
What?! I just bought one for use on a Spectrum system! o_O

(Later) I just checked their website and they still show the SB8200 rev.4 or higher as being supported.

(And a bit later still) I also just got off the phone with one of their Internet tech persons. He said the SB8200 rev.4 or higher is supported. Now either he’s just reading off the same website I’m looking at, and it’s wrong, or it’s right. I guess I’ll find out for myself on Saturday.

The question is whether the unit you receive is Rev 4. Let us know if that’s the case.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
The question is whether the unit you receive is Rev 4. Let us know if that’s the case.

I got a rev.6. Hopefully if Spectrum is supporting the 4, the 6 will work too.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
I got a rev.6. Hopefully if Spectrum is supporting the 4, the 6 will work too.

Promising. Where did you buy the modem? Please let us know if:
  • Spectrum activates the modem, and
  • it works.
Thanks and good luck!

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Likewise, thanks.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Bought and shipped from Amazon. I’ll let you know after Saturday!

Reactions: austinpop

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Just as an aside... I called Spectrum about upgrading my speed to their "gig" offering of 940 Mbps. Turns out the upload is only 35 Mbps, plus I have to pay them $300 for a mandatory service call so they can "check your wiring."

:(

People with symmetric 1G/1G fiber service, consider yourselves lucky!

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I’m going to be leaving Verizon FiOS for this. :rolleyes::confused:

rsrzr

Jun 22, 2017
I’m also an ex enterprise network guy. I have 1G fiber to my house with multiple switches and routers throughout the house. Whole house is wired cat-6 with cat-7 AQ cable to the dac. For tuning, I set everything up using large packets since we stream video and Tidal MQA at the same time. Always use wired connections, never wifi for audio room listening.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Promising. Where did you buy the modem? Please let us know if:
  • Spectrum activates the modem, and
  • it works.
Thanks and good luck!

I’m happy to report that the SB8200 is working fine on my Spectrum service. There were no issues other than the usual provisioning Spectrum had to do as part of activating the service. Just based on what I’ve read online, if anyone decides to go this route make sure the modem is at rev4 or higher. I sprung for 400Mbs service and I’m getting excellent DL speed. Unfortunately Spectrum caps the UL on the 400 to 20Mbs.

I forgot my wired router :(, so I had to buy a cheapie TPLink from Amazon so I could hook up my Ubiquiti WAP. I decided to keep the WAP separate from the router. All is working as it should.

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
If I read this correctly you have a cable modem, an Ethernet wired router, and then a Wireless Router as well. Is this easy to configure?
In this order?
1. Install sb8200 and get spectrum yo set up.
2. Connect to an Ethernet Wire only router. Will. I have to configure it or just connect?
3. Connect the wired Ethernet router to the WiFi router. Anything special with this?

My main question. Do I have to have special skills to implement this system or will everything talk to each other out of the box with normal setup for each item? Like install software, configuration, etc.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
If I read this correctly you have a cable modem, an Ethernet wired router, and then a Wireless Router as well. Is this easy to configure?
In this order?
1. Install sb8200 and get spectrum yo set up.
2. Connect to an Ethernet Wire only router. Will. I have to configure it or just connect?
3. Connect the wired Ethernet router to the WiFi router. Anything special with this?

My main question. Do I have to have special skills to implement this system or will everything talk to each other out of the box with normal setup for each item? Like install software, configuration, etc.

That’ll work with no configuration on your part if you really want to do that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing