Chronosonic XVX.

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I would feel very happy if Wilson considers that the XVX is a replacement of the XLF - at a cost of more than 50% over the XLF list price, these seem to be great and assuring news to some current XLF owners. The XLF was a crazy move, XVX would be complete madness ...

I have no doubts that the XVX is a better speaker, but my admiration for the XLF will not change with it. Besides, as I enjoy playing with tube electronics, the XLF allows me to play some games that will be forbidden with the XVX. ;)

Agree the XLF is a great performer and the XVX sets a new benchmark in performance and price (the WAMM must be a further giant step forward). The continued drive by Wilson to improve their products periodically through upgrade/replacement of models has provided a nice upgrade path for me. My first Wilson was a traded pair of Alexandria S1’s where the owner was upgrading. After 5 years, I traded the S1’s for 2.5 year old traded XLF’s. The owner of the XLF‘s is now trying to decide between a pair of XVXs or Gryphon Kodo. Maybe in another 3 to 4 years I can trade the XLFs with XVXs. I keep in contact with the original XLF owner so you never know. And it’s nice to know that someone else is now enjoying my old S1’s.

I have been very impressed with each upgrade which has only been possible for me in monetary terms through the pursue by the original owners to trade up and Wilson and other companies continued pursue of better performance.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I heard the 2060 / 2010 combo once on kharma midi exquisite , i didnt like it , it sounded a bit cool clinical .
I would definetively ad a tubed pre .
But there is something about boulder gear , its made to perfection .
From all the solid state ive owned i was reluctant to let the boulder amp go
I used an Audio Research Ref40 for many years with a 2060 and then with my current 3060. I just switched to the new Boulder 1110 pre that IMO sounds better than the Ref40.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My pleasure!
Appointment booked : will audition the XVX with TLi on 18th Jan afternoon.
Hi CKKeung,

Did you manage to hear the XVXs? Most interested to hear what you think.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CKKeung,

Did you manage to hear the XVXs? Most interested to hear what you think.
Not yet, because of the lockdown. :confused:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Got it...was wondering about that. Have you spoken or heard from the owner in HK of the XVXs? How does he compare them with his previous Stenheims? Have you heard any comments about the XVXs?

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
Got it...was wondering about that. Have you spoken or heard from the owner in HK of the XVXs? How does he compare them with his previous Stenheims? Have you heard any comments about the XVXs?
I haven't heard the XVXs, but the owner received very favorable comments from friends who knows his system well. Apparently there was a good improvement after adding the latest MIT speaker cable.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
He was very pleased with the XVX.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I haven't heard the XVXs, but the owner received very favorable comments from friends who knows his system well. Apparently there was a good improvement after adding the latest MIT speaker cable.

After someone buys an expensive speaker, if a friend does not give favorable comments he might not remain a friend for long?

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
After someone buys an expensive speaker, if a friend does not give favorable comments he might not remain a friend for long?
There's always comments behind the back, or direct communication to please. Only the person commenting knows if it's true.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
After the Wilson official dealer in Hong Kong sold the first pair, they got another pair of XVX as showroom demo 2 months later.

I didn't but a group of frds of mine (including WBF member TLi) went for an audition.
All of them can't praise the XVX more highly.
Actually they said that the XVX seemed to be better than its bigger brother.
(They attended the HK demo of Master Chronosonic before and were unimpressed. So it's their impression of two diff demo sessions only.)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
After the Wilson official dealer in Hong Kong sold the first pair, they got another pair of XVX as showroom demo 2 months later.

I didn't but a group of frds of mine (including WBF member TLi) went for an audition.
All of them can't praise the XVX more highly.
Actually they said that the XVX seemed to be better than its bigger brother.
(They attended the HK demo of Master Chronosonic before and were unimpressed. So it's their impression of two diff demo sessions only.)
Very interesting! Thanks...the speakers that have been replaced by XVX is pretty impressive. Steinheim Ultimates, Rockport Arrakis, etc...this seems like it could be more than just a replacement for the XLF by some significant margin. I have also heard a US listener also preferred his time with XVX over the his time with listening to WAMM.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Just one data point, but I have a friend whose opinion I greatly respect who went to demos in the same room (but different associated components) of the Master Chronosonic and the XVX, and he preferred the XVX. I wonder if preference for the Master Chronosonic or the XVX is primarily a function of the size of the room in which the system will be located.

At the demo of the Master Chronosonic + Master Subsonics he and I attended together I was much more impressed with the loudspeaker system than he was.

Hey Ron, do you have any more comments from your friend about why he preferred XVX or WAMM or how they differed in that room? And third, did the sound coming from the WAMM provide significantly greater scale than the smaller XVX? Thanks for any color here.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hey Ron, do you have any more comments from your friend about why he preferred XVX or WAMM or how they differed in that room? And third, did the sound coming from the WAMM provide significantly greater scale than the smaller XVX? Thanks for any color here.

Sorry, but I do not have any other information.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Sorry, but I do not have any other information.
Thanks...I have been hearing very good things about it here and there, so thought i would ask.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We could expect it, considering the price difference. I listened several times to the WAMMs in the same room as I have listened many times to the XLF, and I am aware of the significant differences. But in the end the similarities were enough to please me and make me an happy audiophile! ;)
Have you heard the XVX Micro? Would be interesting to learn what the differences were in that room between the WAMM and the XLF.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree the XLF is a great performer and the XVX sets a new benchmark in performance and price (the WAMM must be a further giant step forward). The continued drive by Wilson to improve their products periodically through upgrade/replacement of models has provided a nice upgrade path for me. My first Wilson was a traded pair of Alexandria S1’s where the owner was upgrading. After 5 years, I traded the S1’s for 2.5 year old traded XLF’s. The owner of the XLF‘s is now trying to decide between a pair of XVXs or Gryphon Kodo. Maybe in another 3 to 4 years I can trade the XLFs with XVXs. I keep in contact with the original XLF owner so you never know. And it’s nice to know that someone else is now enjoying my old S1’s.

I have been very impressed with each upgrade which has only been possible for me in monetary terms through the pursue by the original owners to trade up and Wilson and other companies continued pursue of better performance.
Hey Aussienut. Do you know whether the owner went with XVXs or Gryphon Kodo? Thanks!

Reactions: Aussienut

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Hi, I know he was heading to the USA around late Feb for a business trip and take the opportunity to listen to the XVX and Gryphon. But I assume this probably didn't happen with the world lockdown. Plus the USDollar to Aussie has tanked in recent months, so a purchase of this magnitude would cost thousands more. Now that you have reminded me I may drop him a note and find out the latest.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi, I know he was heading to the USA around late Feb for a business trip and take the opportunity to listen to the XVX and Gryphon. But I assume this probably didn't happen with the world lockdown. Plus the USDollar to Aussie has tanked in recent months, so a purchase of this magnitude would cost thousands more. Now that you have reminded me I may drop him a note and find out the latest.
Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing