David Karmeli’s Bionor/Lamm/AS-2000 Audio System

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I bet DDK misses his contributions as well; WBF was a free marketing vehicle for him to sell millions of dollars worth of equipment to the members. Nothing hurts more than a self inflicted wound.
You mean he misses WBF's contributions, LOL! I do give him the benefit of the doubt that he is a bit purer in motive than that. I don't think he needs, as a lot of audiophiles, the hassles unless it is for love as much or more than money.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I bet DDK misses his contributions as well; WBF was a free marketing vehicle for him to sell millions of dollars worth of equipment to the members. Nothing hurts more than a self inflicted wound.
I think ddk did well in audio long before WBF, and will do well long after. I learned a lot from his posts and he always made me laugh ! :) I miss Tango and Bill too :confused:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
A "free marketing vehicle"? My understanding is that WBF charges a fee to all manufacturers and dealers who sell their wares here. If they can get it, I don't have a problem with that. As Milan notes, @ddk gave out advice and priceless information to many without asking a dime.

Spats on, ankles covered.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
jeff1225 said:
“I bet DDK misses his contributions as well; WBF was a free marketing vehicle for him to sell millions of dollars worth of equipment to the members. Nothing hurts more than a self inflicted wound.”

Actually not Jeff. You asked him for a lot of advice which he was happy to give you for a while. You then asked me for David‘s cartridge and cable recommendations. It seems you appreciated his free advice whatever the source and who shared it. That all stopped.

David contributed more to this forum than he ever received. And the owners realized this and invited him back publicly. They understood the value of his contributions.

David helped me transform my old system long before I ever bought my first turntable from him. He happily shares his experience and knowledge with others. Just ask member CDK84 who now has a completely new system based on natural sound values.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
A "free marketing vehicle"? My understanding is that WBF charges a fee to all manufacturers and dealers who sell their wares here. If they can get it, I don't have a problem with that. As Milan notes, @ddk gave out advice and priceless information to many without asking a dime.

Spats on, ankles covered.
Some dealers actually support the site by purchasing ads. Some give “free advice” so they can trick the slow minded into thinking they are their “friend.” It’s a smart sales technique when dealing with rubes.

Here’s a great quote from the Art of the Deal, a book written by a guy adept at selling to suckers:

“I’ve never been terribly interested in why people give, because their motivation is rarely what it seems to be, and it’s almost never true altruism.”

Reactions: Argonaut

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I joined WBF in the post-DDK era but I’ve definitely enjoyed reading about him and his approach to audio. Why does a hobby - which is supposed to be fun, first and foremost - create such divisiveness? It strikes me as being incredibly petty.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I joined WBF in the post-DDK era but I’ve definitely enjoyed reading about him and his approach to audio. Why does a hobby - which is supposed to be fun, first and foremost - create such divisiveness? It strikes me as being incredibly petty.

people are divisive. that’s why we are attracted to debates, camps, schools of thought, being right, etc. audio is amazing that it ticks all those needs also those of sports and sometimes even music

Reactions: sujay and Lagonda

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Yes, it is petty. These visit to Utah threads that all exist in the DDK sub forum are all about learning and creating friendships and having a good time.

There are quite a few, and they are all worth reading. Alan, Mike, Steve, Bonzo, Ron, and I have all written them. DDK‘s essay about natural sound and the beyond turntables are also worth reading. In my opinion, they are reference articles on this forum.

Reactions: Amir and MarcelNL

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Some dealers actually support the site by purchasing ads. Some give “free advice” so they can trick the slow minded into thinking they are their “friend.” It’s a smart sales technique when dealing with rubes.

Here’s a great quote from the Art of the Deal, a book written by a guy adept at selling to suckers:

“I’ve never been terribly interested in why people give, because their motivation is rarely what it seems to be, and it’s almost never true altruism.”

Yes, that is a great quote from a very astute observer.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
David contributed more to this forum than he ever received.
How are you calculating this assertion?

Partly on the back of my first order of an AS-2000 turntable David built an entire turntable business. David received a great deal from this forum, including actual business.

And the owners realized this
This characterization is false and misleading. You never asked me why I, for one, invited David back, so this is merely an assumption on your part.

In addition to using WBF to help cultivate a successful business, David, like each of us, enjoyed WBF as a regular member in terms of making friends and participating in dialogue.

David was not invited back because "he contributed more to this forum than he ever received." I never made any such calculation. It never even occurred to me to think this way.

I invited him back myself several times because he has incredible high-end audio experience in general; vast expertise in vintage components in particular; he's one of the leading turntable experts in the world; he's probably the world's single leading authority on the SME 3012 tonearm; and -- most of all -- because I knew how much he enjoyed his participation here.
They understood the value of his contributions.

David was a very prominent member, one of the members I personally thought of as a senior member. We have a number of prominent members I personally think of as senior members. These are people who enjoyed the website before I discovered it in 2015.

I personally would welcome back any member -- but especially a senior member -- who enjoyed WBF but chose to leave as a result of some controversy, drama or misunderstanding. Via telephone voicemail messages and emails and third-party back-channel requests I invited Bill back around 10 times.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I invited him back myself several times because he has incredible high-end audio experience in general; vast expertise in vintage components in particular; he's one of the leading turntable experts in the world; he's probably the world's single leading authority on the SME 3012 tonearm; and -- most of all -- because I know how much he enjoyed his participation here.

David was a very prominent member, one of the members I personally thought of as a senior member. We have a number of prominent members I personally think of as senior members. These are people who enjoyed the website before I discovered it in 2015.

I personally would welcome back any member -- but especially a senior member -- who enjoyed WBF but chose to leave as a result of some controversy, drama or misunderstanding. Via telephone voicemail message and email and third-party back-channel requests I invited Bill back around 10 times.

How about this? They participated for mutual benefit, like any free exchange, until it was no longer mutually beneficial. At least we can still reference their posts.

Reactions: Bobvin

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Yes, that is a great quote from a very astute observer.
OT, and very much so perhaps....although that observation might be true for some, is it not a major waste to miss out on what people have to truly give from the heart due to a generalization or a cynical POV ?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Sad state of afairs from the amazing first post of this thread to now. A lot of fingers pointed one direction. Maybe if a mirror was included within the pointing we could lay this to rest for good and maybe David might come back, this place is better with him present.
Let the egos rest.

Reactions: Lagonda and Bobvin

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I can name one we could afford to lose.
There is a an “ignore” function or some such thing… you can just “tune out” someone who troubles you.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
David @ddk is one of few audiophiles that I trust his audio thinking.

I think david and all of us love high-end audio and audio business has no relation to this passion.

When I read David’s post I really enjoy and I do not care he is in audio business or not.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I have just this moment reached out for my handkerchief, in order to dab a crocodile tear or two from my eye .;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
There is a an “ignore” function or some such thing… you can just “tune out” someone who troubles you.
I just exercised the Ignore function for the first time regarding a certain member who will go unnamed whose posts are of no value and are clearly intended to annoy. I feel better already.

Reactions: Pokey77 and PeterA

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I just exercised the Ignore function for the first time regarding a certain member who will go unnamed whose posts are of no value and are clearly intended to annoy. I feel better already.
Damn, I hope it wasn’t me :cool: (but if it was, i suppose you wouldn’t see this!)

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing