DCS Rossini APEX has arrived!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Rossini apex would CB probably sound good. But I wonder if the estoteric grandioso k1x could be just as good. I like the idea of a transport built in but my esoteric k01x could do that.

I'm looking for end of life unit (my life) and the idea of equaling a Clearaudio master innovation is attractive. 6000 cds so lots of material.

Little did I know that cd cannot equal vinyl so far. (Realism, to me, of the music). as I said before, ch precision $90000 set gets close.

I could try a rossini unit but I'd need a few days. Or grandioso k1x. And need to build up some savings.
Hi Billearns,

You have quite a system there. I have heard the might full-stand Clearaudio in Hong Kong. I know nothing about vinyl, but I do have a lot of regard for Ernie Lau, and he had 2 TT there...the original Rockport Sirius III and the massive Clear Audio full-standing one. It was magnificent sound, and I am sure Ernie would not have used the Clearaudio without having extremely high regard for it.

Meanwhile, on your search for digital, if you are looking for end of life unit...and you want something organic, sublime, all about lifelike music making, there is a [nowadays] slightly off-piste suggestion...mainly because of your already reference vinyl and your desire for digital that evokes analog.

No surprises, that would be the Zanden 4-box...but with a lot of the recommendations I have discovered and now use with the original Zanden 4-box digital. If you want to play SACD layer or hi-res, then skip the rest of this. However, if you wish to take the majority of hard-disc playback into enjoy music and 'be done', I have not found anything that so keenly keeps me in the music in the world of digital than the Zanden (again, 'updated' in the ways that I have).

With the right tubes, the right cables and the Waversa INT Ref Plus, I have not found nothing that tempts me away from it...at any cost, and even more so at the cost of the Zanden these days which is only available 2nd hand. Happy to speak off-line but only if you are so interested. the key descriptors:
- organic and remarkably life like
- about the music

The most interesting commonality amongst all the reviews from Roy Gregory, Mark Michelson, Srajaen Six Moons was their comparison to the best analog...Roy most famously made the statement that in his experience only the Blue Pearl Gem Turntable matched the Zanden's uniqueness wholeness of grainless music making. I know nothing about that TT, but it is a reference TT so I suppose that says something given that he made comparisons to other reference digital (Metronome, Esoteric, etc)...but found analog (in some respects) the better rival.

- its primary set back as originally set up was that it did not convey sheer muscle and power...and that it was definitely behind in detail retrieval
- setup properly with correct tubes, isolation/grounding, cables and the Waversa, its dynamic range and sheer power went toe to toe with the Esoteric reference at that time which was quite a shock, and now I do not feel any lack for detail (I am not a detail freak, however)

Best wishes with your search. There are indeed some great current-gen digital...from your description, I would have thought Lampi Horizon, TotalDAC, APL fit very well...but you still need to find a transport..perhaps JMF, CEC.

Last edited:

billeames

Mar 6, 2023
I am struggling to improve my digital setup, but money is limited until I can save enough.. CH precision is an ultimate goal but its 86k. Or jsut 46k for C1.2 DAC. I am wondering if there exists a CD player substantially better than the K01X (Esoteric) for less than 30k? Waiting a year maybe. As you likely know my current analog setup is Clearausio Master Innovation, 12 in universal arm, Jubilee MC cartridge. That turntable sound is relaxing, detailed, dynamic. Esoteric is more laid back, less detail, and more 'digital' sounding (not as smooth). A possible choice is Esoteric Grandioso K1X. Or Rossini. Or Bartok. Or simaudio.

A two step example could be a Bartok then jump at the 46k CH C1.2 (use esoteric K01X as transport.

Note I feel digital adequate if I dont compare to analog.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpeg
    IMG_1392.jpeg
    733.5 KB · Views: 9

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I am struggling to improve my digital setup, but money is limited until I can save enough.. CH precision is an ultimate goal but its 86k. Or jsut 46k for C1.2 DAC. I am wondering if there exists a CD player substantially better than the K01X (Esoteric) for less than 30k? Waiting a year maybe. As you likely know my current analog setup is Clearausio Master Innovation, 12 in universal arm, Jubilee MC cartridge. That turntable sound is relaxing, detailed, dynamic. Esoteric is more laid back, less detail, and more 'digital' sounding (not as smooth). A possible choice is Esoteric Grandioso K1X. Or Rossini. Or Bartok. Or simaudio.

A two step example could be a Bartok then jump at the 46k CH C1.2 (use esoteric K01X as transport.

Note I feel digital adequate if I dont compare to analog.
I am a former K-01X owner who upgraded to a K-01XD. To my ears, this has been a substantial upgrade for both CD and SACD playback. Smoother, more refined sound. IMO Esoteric's Master Sound Discrete DAC technology is a significant level up from their prior dependence on AKM DAC chips. I often notice this player in pictures of systems (not featuring Esoteric) at shows.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
After extensive demo exposure to the Apex upgrade, dating back to its first availability, I’ve finally initiated the upgrade for my Rossini.

There is no wait list at the present time, so mine will be heading to Waltham this coming week.

My tendency to find myself in agreement more often than not with @Lee, leads me to expect great things. The standard Rossini is no slouch, and I appreciate that dCS continues their commitment to the Rossini platform. The upgrade involves replacement of the whole ring DAC.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
After extensive demo exposure to the Apex upgrade, dating back to its first availability, I’ve finally initiated the upgrade for my Rossini.

There is no wait list at the present time, so mine will be heading to Waltham this coming week.

My tendency to find myself in agreement more often than not with @Lee, leads me to expect great things. The standard Rossini is no slouch, and I appreciate that dCS continues their commitment to the Rossini platform. The upgrade involves replacement of the whole ring DAC.

You are going to be impressed. It’s like getting a whole new DAC.

billeames

Mar 6, 2023
I am hoping to get Clearaudio Master Innovation vinyl equivalence (in CD player) but seems impossible for less than $70000. The Master Innovation does not smear piano notes. Youtube video and personal experience. I may have to wait until I can save money, or do a DCS or an improved Esoteric. DCS and Esoteric dont seem to have external power supplies except for the Grandioso CD player. The Esoteric K01x and Simaud9o are not terribleand I can live with it as long as I dont compare it with the Master Innovation. But having 6000 CD's I see huge upside if I get high grade CD player (DCS APEX with clock, or esoteric Grandioso K1x) but take time to save up for. Or settle for Bartok (But may be a sideways move from my current Esoteric K01x) and upgrade later. Life is short!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I am hoping to get Clearaudio Master Innovation vinyl equivalence (in CD player) but seems impossible for less than $70000. The Master Innovation does not smear piano notes. Youtube video and personal experience. I may have to wait until I can save money, or do a DCS or an improved Esoteric. DCS and Esoteric dont seem to have external power supplies except for the Grandioso CD player. The Esoteric K01x and Simaud9o are not terribleand I can live with it as long as I dont compare it with the Master Innovation. But having 6000 CD's I see huge upside if I get high grade CD player (DCS APEX with clock, or esoteric Grandioso K1x) but take time to save up for. Or settle for Bartok (But may be a sideways move from my current Esoteric K01x) and upgrade later. Life is short!

I would say the Rossini Apex is at that level of analog playback but it can be heard to know for sure without auditioning both in your system. I can say the Rossini Apex is somewhat close to my Continuum turntable.

billeames

Mar 6, 2023
How much Continuum table arm cartridge cost? Mine about 50k (master innovation setup).
I'm remembering shootout at store with turntable (Air Force 3premium graham Lyra cartridge) a little better. But rossini apex quite good esp with clock.
I like power supplies also. Adds dynamics.
The hard truth is that I need to save more.
whatever I get is end point.
Thanks for response
Another thing is house sound. Esoteric goes for detail and smooth (era 2017). Simaudio a bit more dynamic less detail ( Andromeda era 2008). Sorry if not apples and apples comparison.

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
I have a Rossini Apex, Adding a clock increase substantially musicality , stressless, image and separation of instruments. Than you can add, a 10mhz clock which bring you more involved in Music.
so my config is Rossini, dcs Vivaldi clock and cybershaft 10mhz Op21… so qualities of Rossini can really be improved.

Reactions: oldmustang

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
How much Continuum table arm cartridge cost? Mine about 50k (master innovation setup).
I'm remembering shootout at store with turntable (Air Force 3premium graham Lyra cartridge) a little better. But rossini apex quite good esp with clock.
I like power supplies also. Adds dynamics.
The hard truth is that I need to save more.
whatever I get is end point.
Thanks for response
Another thing is house sound. Esoteric goes for detail and smooth (era 2017). Simaudio a bit more dynamic less detail ( Andromeda era 2008). Sorry if not apples and apples comparison.

Originally for my year 2012, it was $150-200K. Used market now is around $50K.

In my humble opinion, the midrange and bass is better on the Caliburn. May have been a setup issue.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
My Rossini arrived back at my house, avec APEX mod, yesterday morning. It was gone for 9 days. It has been streaming jazz from Quobuz for the last 23 hours. It is more pleasing every hour. It is definitely “breaking in.” I’m in the middle of The Drum Thunder Suite by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers right now. I’d say that this is the best I’ve ever heard this cut streamed.

While the Rossini was off at the dCS Spa getting its makeover, I streamed primarily with a Bluesound Node into a McIntosh MDA200. I enjoyed that too, and especially the fact that BluOS is capable of interfacing with Prime. But compared to the Rossini, or the Rossini Apex, I would describe my substitute set up as disjointed. All the musical elements are present, but they’re somewhat skewed compared to my personal reality reference.

The APEX mod adds meat to the bones of an already special device. I would do it again. All reports are that it will sound even better at this time next week. Can’t wait.

Last edited:

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
New Rossini Apex owner here and wondering if folks use the built in capability for streaming and file playback or do folks tend to use external streamers with the Rossini like an Aurender? I still have my W20SE and have been comparing the built in file playback of the Rossini using minimserver against the Rossini Apex/W20SE and connecting via AES and sending the clock out back into the Aurender.

There are things I like about both setups ... Using the built in streaming with the Rossini I hear more low level detail and better layering. Also there is a blacker background. With the W20SE I'm noticing a slightly warmer presentation with a larger overall soundstage but with a slight loss of low level detail. I am using an older Shunyata Anaconda AES cable and an inexpensive clock cable right now. Also I have compared the AES input to USB using the Shunyata Alpha USB and like the AES better. I'll likely try out some upgrades AES cables at some point also.

I will mention that it took about 200 hours for mine to really shine! I purchased my unit to use as a really nice front end for a headphone setup (still working on it) but also realized it would be a great way to audition a DCS DAC in my main setup for an extended time knowing that ultimately if I love the Rossini that it will still end up back in the headphone setup and a Vivaldi will likely be the end goal. Will be comparing against the newer Esoteric discrete dac once my new Pre/Power amps show up and get broken in.

All that said ... just wondering how others are using the Rossini for file based playback and what your experiences are?

Thanks!

George

Reactions: Lee and ashandger

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
New Rossini Apex owner here and wondering if folks use the built in capability for streaming and file playback or do folks tend to use external streamers with the Rossini like an Aurender? I still have my W20SE and have been comparing the built in file playback of the Rossini using minimserver against the Rossini Apex/W20SE and connecting via AES and sending the clock out back into the Aurender.

There are things I like about both setups ... Using the built in streaming with the Rossini I hear more low level detail and better layering. Also there is a blacker background. With the W20SE I'm noticing a slightly warmer presentation with a larger overall soundstage but with a slight loss of low level detail. I am using an older Shunyata Anaconda AES cable and an inexpensive clock cable right now. Also I have compared the AES input to USB using the Shunyata Alpha USB and like the AES better. I'll likely try out some upgrades AES cables at some point also.

I will mention that it took about 200 hours for mine to really shine! I purchased my unit to use as a really nice front end for a headphone setup (still working on it) but also realized it would be a great way to audition a DCS DAC in my main setup for an extended time knowing that ultimately if I love the Rossini that it will still end up back in the headphone setup and a Vivaldi will likely be the end goal. Will be comparing against the newer Esoteric discrete dac once my new Pre/Power amps show up and get broken in.

All that said ... just wondering how others are using the Rossini for file based playback and what your experiences are?

Thanks!

George

I use the included functionality and everything works and sounds great. I did get a nice bump from the Ansuz ethernet switch.

Reactions: Another Johnson

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
I agree with @Lee that the resident streamer is excellent. I use it for Qobuz, controlled by either Mosaic or Roon.

I have also used HEOS and BluOS controlled external streamers because Mosaic and Roon are not compatible with Prime while HEOS and BluOS are. They have performed musically too. I have nothing but great things to say about the Rossini Apex.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I agree with @Lee that the resident streamer is excellent. I use it for Qobuz, controlled by either Mosaic or Roon.

I have also used HEOS and BluOS controlled external streamers because Mosaic and Roon are not compatible with Prime while HEOS and BluOS are. They have performed musically too. I have nothing but great things to say about the Rossini Apex.

Speaking of which…had lunch with David Solomon on Friday. Qobuz Connect is being prepared…

Reactions: Another Johnson

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Just to chime in, my Rossini Player Apex sounds better on the 6V setting going through my Ayre KX-R Twenty than it does at 2V; it seems to have more heft and low end and the Ayre has zero issues with the higher output level.

Also, the Apex is by far the best upgrade money I've spent, perhaps ever.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Just to chime in, my Rossini Player Apex sounds better on the 6V setting going through my Ayre KX-R Twenty than it does at 2V; it seems to have more heft and low end and the Ayre has zero issues with the higher output level.

Also, the Apex is by far the best upgrade money I've spent, perhaps ever.

What Andy McHarg and Chris Hales have done with APEX is a genuine achievement.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What i have heard in Munchen wasn t very convincing .
I d advise Wilson to dump DCS and go with Wadax ( like magico did ) or Metronome (AQWO Dac) instead for the munchen show
Makes the demos a lot better/ interesting imo

Reactions: thomask

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, no.

I've found Wadax mechanical and very unimpressive.
I listened to the Wadax in a system that I'm familiar with and thought it's the most Analog sounding DAC that I've heard. I recently listened to a DCS Rossini in my system and it didn't work well in my system.

Reactions: thomask

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing