Entreq Coming for Testing/Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
IMHO any measurement without a previous debate on how such device should be measured and what the person measuring it is aiming to is useless.

We can assume that this device pretends to works as a RF noise sink. As far as I know there are no standard ways of measuring it using audio measuring equipment.

No, the scientific method states that someone else can independently use the protocol and produce similar result or they can't and go on to debunking or making recommendations.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice job Amir - as predicted, the device does nothing, and worse, the cables to it act as antennas picking up junk which is fed back into the components' grounds. I suspect any positive results people report are really due to star-grounding at one point - same as if they were to connect to a Shunyata Triton II - but with the same unwanted antenna-effect. This is why I practice star-grounding at the preamp with well shielded interconnects.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
sorry Amir, but, your test doesn't make sense.
You are free to write your opinion and I to not read it, but the protocol you used, do not respect the real operating conditions on which the boxes are normally inserted.
There is not a complete chain which may change the transient ...etc.
Beside, a measurement like this may indicate a false result as well as, for example, it is wrong to say that 2 amplifiers sound the same due to the fact which both cover the frequency spectral from 20 to 20KHz.
For that reason some of Entreq's users here, have suggested you to run a preliminary test by listening whether the inclusion in your chain of the groundbox could make changes (positive or negative).

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I guess if someone wants to buy something and spends enough money on it they can convince themself that a device does what the manufacturer claims.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Yup. PO made a mistake sending it to Amir. What did he use to plug it into...a home theatre receiver ? GMAFB ! His testing procedure is clearly erroneous and not relevant to the device and how it works in the signal chain. Who says the Entreq effect is measurable in the first place ?
Comments from those who have no experience with the device and applaud Amir are laughable. Get a life.

sorry Amir, but, your test doesn't make sense.
You are free to write your opinion and I to not read it, but the protocol you used, do not respect the real operating conditions on which the boxes are normally inserted.
There is not a complete chain which may change the transient ...etc.
Beside, a measurement like this may indicate a false result as well as, for example, it is wrong to say that 2 amplifiers sound the same due to the fact which both cover the frequency spectral from 20 to 20KHz.
For that reason some of Entreq's users here, have suggested you to run a preliminary test by listening whether the inclusion in your chain of the groundbox could make changes (positive or negative).

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I don't believe this product does anything, and still applaud Amir for his approach. I question any and every claim that it works, but that's just me. A simple test for any owner would be to just join all those cables together, in open air, away from this product, and see what you hear. Then plug them into the product again, and see what you hear.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
I don't believe this product does anything.

did you tried it? If not, as I suppose, why you are so sure?
It is unbelievable how the skepticals here refuse to test it a priori (prefer to stay at theoretical deduction rather than from observation or experience).

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
did you tried it? If not, as I suppose, why you are so sure?
It is unbelievable how the skepticals here refuse to test it a priori (prefer to stay at theoretical deduction rather than from observation or experience).

There is no valid science behind it; the manufacturer cannot articulate it either.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
try to listen the difference (if any) with the only thing that can measure the goodness or not of the result. The ears!!
I do not think you can measure everything in this field. Do you measure the output of your amplifier when you test for new loudspeakers?
Simply you test and if you like and you have the budget, you buy.
However, I understand that this is the part of forum reserved for the measurements, so I'm not in the right place.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
try to listen the difference (if any) with the only thing that can measure the goodness or not of the result. The ears!!
This is not the ear forum. It is the measurement forum. Anyone has a pair of ears and can do that evaluation. My role in this is having the test equipment and knowledge to run tests to determine if objectively we can identify what the box really does. The measurements demonstrate that which after seeing the data, is an obvious conclusion.

That said, I am continuing my testing. That is why the thread on ASR Forum is titled, "Entreq "signal grounding" Preliminary Measurements." It was intended to get feedback from knowledgeable people on the direction was going.

But yes, I plan to also listen but again, my unique value that I bring is in instrumentation. Any of you can listen and post your opinion.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What did he use to plug it into...a home theatre receiver ? GMAFB !
Home theater receiver? What on earth are you talking about? No home theater receiver or any such thing was used in my testing.

The core testing apparatus was a $25,000 Audio Precision Analyzer. The device has a very accurate and accurate signal generator. I used this to generate a 1 Khz tone. I then use the analyzer portion to a) subtract the 1 Khz tone and show what was left. This is stand-in for a source device and pre-amp, except that in this case, we are talking about trusted, laboratory grade audio instrumentation.

The second test was using a 500 Megahertz Tektronix scope to instrument what is occurring on the wire connection to Entreq.

Third was a very sensitive AC microamp meter designed for detection of minute ground current leakage. This was used to see if any AC current travels over the connection to the Entreq terminal.

Forth was a differential probe used to eliminate airborne common mode noise injected onto the probes of the instrumentation.

None of this involves any home theater equipment.
His testing procedure is clearly erroneous and not relevant to the device and how it works in the signal chain. Who says the Entreq effect is measurable in the first place ?
Well, the clear intention for P-O for loaning me the device was to measure it. He is a very kind individual and despite the risk that are involved in any third-party evaluation he has chosen to participate in this work by loaning me the equipment.

Comments from those who have no experience with the device and applaud Amir are laughable. Get a life.
My suggestion is that you contribute to the topic constructively rather than expressing anger and frustration. My "life" is this hobby where I enjoy learning what makes such equipment tick. Instead of telling you it is non-sense based on reading their web site, I have chosen to spend time making these measurements and publishing them. If it is not life for you, that's OK. But leave the interested parties be please. :)

Sal1950

Banned
Aug 5, 2015
Central FL USA
No one is censoring any data. I have asked based on past performance here and thread melt downs that you complete posting your data at your website

This also is the "Measurement Based Audio Forum" here on WBF and why this header was started.
Why should test data by Amir be censored here? If some members of this forum can't behave themselves in a professional manner here they should be the ones that are moderated.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What would a good measurement protocol be?

For those Entreq special products, perhaps this guy would know best:

Per-Olof Friberg

Entreq Headquarter:
Phone: +46 (0)705 200 500
Fax: +46 (0)42 520 50
e-mail: info@entreq.com
Rönnetorp 18
265 90 S-Åstorp
Sweden

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
we don't know how to measure...that is the whole issue. Has anyone measured stillpoints for example and how they affect the sound of a system/component ?
Perhaps the same skeptic crew feels stillpoints don't affect the sound either ?

Maybe someone in their contact list would know how to measure them; they make them, so they must know some', or is it an audio "secret"?
http://www.stillpoints.us/index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing