Entreq Tellus grounding

Entreq - RCA Inputs .vs. RCA Outputs; Single-Ended .vs. Balanced

Partly because he said he was only initially ordering earth cables with RCA terminations, so he presumably does not have a spade-to-spade on hand. But, more generally, and as much as this makes your head (and mine) spin, what kind of connection you ground to does make a difference. I confirmed this with input vs. output connections on my line stage and I will further check this in the next few days comparing RCA inputs to XLR.

In your experience which is better, outputs or inputs (I don't see or missed the post where you clarified.) I want to check the difference between single-ended and balanced on my Vitus player, but we are currently out of stock of the XLR cables.

John

In your experience which is better, outputs or inputs (I don't see or missed the post where you clarified.) I want to check the difference between single-ended and balanced on my Vitus player, but we are currently out of stock of the XLR cables.

Inputs appeared to be a better grounding point on my line stage. I used input #1 for the DAC, input #2 for the Entreq and input#3 for the phono stage. It would be interesting to hear your experience if you try the same comparison.

BTW, after spending a week with the Apollo's (still with only the line stage grounded), last night I switched to the Atlantis RCA's, again grounding both channels separately. When swapping the cables, I took care to replace them one at a time, so that the line stage remained grounded at all time through at least one cable, the idea being to minimize the time required for the effect to build up again. When doing so, the improvement brought by the Atlantis cables was immediately obvious and further improved during the listening session. The qualitative character was the same, the only change was in intensity. Great stuff!

Inputs appeared to be a better grounding point on my line stage. I used input #1 for the DAC, input #2 for the Entreq and input#3 for the phono stage. It would be interesting to hear your experience if you try the same comparison.

BTW, after spending a week with the Apollo's (still with only the line stage grounded), last night I switched to the Atlantis RCA's, again grounding both channels separately. When swapping the cables, I took care to replace them one at a time, so that the line stage remained grounded at all time through at least one cable, the idea being to minimize the time required for the effect to build up again. When doing so, the improvement brought by the Atlantis cables was immediately obvious and further improved during the listening session. The qualitative character was the same, the only change was in intensity. Great stuff!

My experience with Atlantis as well...increased intensity. Enjoy!

After speaking to Spirt and Lloyd on another forum I awaited US distribution.Now that Entreq has reached US soil I'm going to take the plunge.
My system is all analog and I will need only need one connection.I'll be grounding my full function Tron Syren pre-amp.
The Syren has 4 inputs ,one is for the built in phono section and is occupied by my turntable.That leaves 3 open RCA inputs.
My question is if I connect the Silver Tellus or Silver Minimus to one of the open inputs on my Syren would it still have an effect on the phono section ?
Also being I will be grounding only one component would the Silver Minimus with one connecter be as effective as The Silver Tellus which has 3 or 4 connecters ??
Thanks for your help ,advice and all the informative posts.
Enjoy
Ed

After speaking to Spirt and Lloyd on another forum I awaited US distribution.Now that Entreq has reached US soil I'm going to take the plunge.
My system is all analog and I will need only need one connection.I'll be grounding my full function Tron Syren pre-amp.
The Syren has 4 inputs ,one is for the built in phono section and is occupied by my turntable.That leaves 3 open RCA inputs.
My question is if I connect the Silver Tellus or Silver Minimus to one of the open inputs on my Syren would it still have an effect on the phono section ?
Also being I will be grounding only one component would the Silver Minimus with one connecter be as effective as The Silver Tellus which has 3 or 4 connecters ??
Enjoy
Ed

Do you know if your Tron is dual mono and if you are going to be grounding each channel separately? If you are going to connecting only one ground cable, you will be able to use at most two ground posts (with the Atlantis cable), in which case a Silver Minimus plus Atlantis Minimus would seem to be a better buy than a Silver Tellus for about the same money.

Enjoy
Ed

Hi Ed,

congrats...and very much looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in grounding. Ask away, and if we can help, we will. As for Silver Tellus vs the Minimus, that is hard to say. I am going to instinctively say that the amount of grounding material does matter...sure, it probably matters more when you have more connections (as you have suggested)...but i am also going to say that relative to the Minimus you might find further benefit from a Tellus.

I am also going to say that, with most people, once you start...it becomes a very long road with lots of continued improvement as you continue to build up your 'grounding arsenal'. I think the reason is that electronic systems seem to have a lot of rfi/emi/other distortion that gets slowly and steadily cleaned up by things like Tripoint/Entreq as well as Stillpoints...

...if you can, try both...have them send both over and just remember that the changes begin around 20 minutes, then 3 hours and then 48 hours, and then 2 weeks...so to compare the 2 boxes, you will need a bit of time over a decent afternoon and better yet, a weekend.

72 Hour Entreq Observations:
1) dramatically reduced system noise floor.
2) Music erupts from the absolute black abyss...very noticeable and welcome.
3) Challenging leading edge transients never go over the edge... sibilance and any remnants of glare from aggressive, large orchestral passages seemingly disappear.
4) Music is clearer, less distorted and I didn't think I had any distortion. It just sounds more real and less recorded.
5) Perceived depth and width of the sound field is also significantly enhanced. Music blooms w/o borders/restrictions and each instrumental, percussive and vocal element space is better defined.
6) Recorded ambience and note decay is more realistic.

The setup as mentioned before are two Silver Tellus boxes and 6 Atlantis eartha rca to spade cables. Two cables (L&R) for phono input, two cables (L&R) for main preamp input and two cables with separate Tellus box for power amp inputs..rca. I also have noticed that any other source device plugged into the main pre benefits...along with digital sources. That is it for now. I would like to thank again Bill Demars from Beauty of Sound for getting this stuff in to try.

Where is Mike L in this conversation ? I would of thought he had his stuff by now...:confused:

My observation too during my demo with Apollo and Atlantis.

3) Challenging leading edge transients never go over the edge... sibilance and any remnants of glare from aggressive, large orchestral passages seemingly disappear.
4) Music is clearer, less distorted and I didn't think I had any distortion. It just sounds more real and less recorded.
5) Perceived depth and width of the sound field is also significantly enhanced. Music blooms w/o borders/restrictions and each instrumental, percussive and vocal element space is better defined.

The setup as mentioned before are two Silver Tellus boxes and 6 Atlantis eartha rca to spade cables. Two cables (L&R) for phono input, two cables (L&R) for main preamp input and two cables with separate Tellus box for power amp inputs..rca. I also have noticed that any other source device plugged into the main pre benefits...along with digital sources. That is it for now. I would like to thank again Bill Demars from Beauty of Sound for getting this stuff in to try.

Where is Mike L in this conversation ? I would of thought he had his stuff by now...:confused:

Fully agreed on the observations.

Here is one thought for you since you are already using two ground boxes (I was planning to experiment with this at some point, since I will probably add a second box for digital): do you think it might be beneficial to run a spade-to-spade cable from one box to another in order to create a unified ground?

Have you checked to see if your signal and safety/chassis grounds on are connected?

You'll need a multimeter.

A number of Devialet owners have posted in this thread about the benefits of connecting a Entreq Tellus to their signal grounds.

The signal and safety/chassis grounds on the Devialets are connected.
Maybe I misunderstand the post but signal and chassis grounds will be connected together at some point within audio hardware, however the critical variable is at which point within the device, the connection is not a direct connection meaning there can be value of using signal ground type product.

Cheers
Orb

Awesome...great to hear! Glad you guys are getting better access to experience this stuff...Enjoy!

Fully agreed on the observations.

Here is one thought for you since you are already using two ground boxes (I was planning to experiment with this at some point, since I will probably add a second box for digital): do you think it might be beneficial to run a spade-to-spade cable from one box to another in order to create a unified ground?

My Tellus for the amps is around 10 feet from my tellus for source components, so getting a cable that long may be detrimental. I may try at one point on doubling up the boxes for source components only. Using the Atlantis dual ended spade connections from each cable... connect one spade to each box to spread the capacity. For now, I am leaving well enough alone and see where it goes. The improvements are real and worth the money in my view.

Enjoy
Ed
I have a Silver Minimus which is used for the two earth grounds of the Entreq speaker cables I use with two Silver Tellus/ Atlantis for the sources and their Entreq i/cs (one for each set).
Like Lloyd I would be doubtful if a Silver Minimus would have sufficient capacity for your pre amp and while a Silver Minimus/Atlantis Minimus would probably be adequate I am sure a Silver Tellus would be a better option even if used only for the preamp. It also gives you the option of earthing other components in the future without the need to further change your earthing complement and as noted earlier the cost is much the same.

That is good to hear and all the improvements I have had with my system.
After all the debate about the effectiveness of Entreq grounding it is really gratifying to see Entreq vindicated in the USA and hopefully many more will take the opportunity to significantly improve the sound quality of their systems in such a cost effective manner.
Yes where is Mike?

For now, I am leaving well enough alone and see where it goes. The improvements are real and worth the money in my view.

In mine too! It was already the case after 24 hours and a week later it is still improving. I stated in an earlier post, when I was asked to quantify the effect, that is was about comparable to my most recent hardware upgrade (from the Ref Anniversary to the Ref 10), but by now it is definitely more than that. :D

In mine too! It was already the case after 24 hours and a week later it is still improving. I stated in an earlier post, when I was asked to quantify the effect, that is was about comparable to my most recent hardware upgrade (from the Ref Anniversary to the Ref 10), but by now it is definitely more than that. :D

That's a nice comparison...and i would concur with my own personal experience in this...it really is a level of refinement/removal of distortion that is hard to fathom...til it's gone. And then it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to live without this kind of grounding benefit (for me). Trust me...i've been there 3 times while i unhooked this stuff...and for a short while it was really difficult. Fortunately after 20 minutes, it starts to settle in, and within 3 hours you are moving nicely along. Again, it continues to drive along nicely for 48 hours (though some say 72)...and then i find it continues to refine more subtlely for about 2 weeks.

That's a nice comparison...and i would concur with my own personal experience in this...it really is a level of refinement/removal of distortion that is hard to fathom...til it's gone. And then it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to live without this kind of grounding benefit (for me). Trust me...i've been there 3 times while i unhooked this stuff...and for a short while it was really difficult. Fortunately after 20 minutes, it starts to settle in, and within 3 hours you are moving nicely along. Again, it continues to drive along nicely for 48 hours (though some say 72)...and then i find it continues to refine more subtlely for about 2 weeks.

Definitely a one way street.

Just a small addition.
I have been using Entreq for a few months now, and have refined it for my budget.
I have a Cleanus, two Silver Tellius, one Apollo spade to spade (Cleanus to Tellius)four Apollo spade to spade chassis cables, on one Tellius, and four Apollo RCA to spade cables, doing signal ground.
Most other things I tried, did make improvements, but not enough to justify the expense, IMO.
I have to throw in here, that one of the biggest upgrades, was putting Stillpoint Ultra SS, under my speakers!
As Stillpoint are the importers of Entreq, I hope I am not spoiling the thread.

Just a small addition.
I have been using Entreq for a few months now, and have refined it for my budget.
I have a Cleanus, two Silver Tellius, one Apollo spade to spade (Cleanus to Tellius)four Apollo spade to spade chassis cables, on one Tellius, and four Apollo RCA to spade cables, doing signal ground.
Most other things I tried, did make improvements, but not enough to justify the expense, IMO.
I have to throw in here, that one of the biggest upgrades, was putting Stillpoint Ultra SS, under my speakers!
As Stillpoint are the importers of Entreq, I hope I am not spoiling the thread.

Nice one...yes, the Stillpoints stuff is also great...its all for lowering distortion in an already good system whose 'voice' you like (imho). I am fortunate to be in that position, and thus, its been about lowering distortion across the board: mechanical isolation, grounding, emi/rfi shielding. As much as i can enjoy thinking about some great sota speaker...the music i am getting is addictive already, and i know i have a little ways to go on isolation/lower distortion...

...and these things cost waaaay less than new/second hand equipment on the market today. That's PARTICULARLY fun after so many years of assembling the system one piece at a time!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu