Etsuro Gold MC Cartridge in house

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, that grain free thing is totally worth the (high) price of admission of the best gear. To get those times when the system plays out of it's skin, and chameleon like, totally disappears, still to this day makes the whole hobby worth it.

You're gonna get this on an lp by lp basis. And maybe the ethereal self effacement of the CS Port/Etsuro will be hard to beat.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, that grain free thing is totally worth the (high) price of admission of the best gear. To get those times when the system plays out of it's skin, and chameleon like, totally disappears, still to this day makes the whole hobby worth it.

You're gonna get this on an lp by lp basis. And maybe the ethereal self effacement of the CS Port/Etsuro will be hard to beat.

there is grain as an artifact perceived as detail.

then there is a grain-less transparent presentation that allows actual fine delicate detail to shine through.

and these things are in degrees. but my profound impression with the Etsuro Gold was that this grain less view allowed for these fine gradiations of texture and nuance i had not heard before. now after some time this ability seems to allow the Etsuro Gold to navigate through the music revealing musical truth where previously it was a degree of murkiness.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fantastic Mike. Now, here is the sweet torture of choice. You have 3 tts and at least 3 arms and carts. You love Etsuro on the CS Port. It brings down more veils than ever, maybe the most. Isn't that gonna suit the Saskia and NVS as well? Aren't you ever gonna muse on just how much how the other two could potentially play out of their skins too? I know all the carts you use are top performers, but if the Etsuro excels fully, all yr tts deserve it.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Fantastic Mike. Now, here is the sweet torture of choice. You have 3 tts and at least 3 arms and carts. You love Etsuro on the CS Port. It brings down more veils than ever, maybe the most. Isn't that gonna suit the Saskia and NVS as well? Aren't you ever gonna muse on just how much how the other two could potentially play out of their skins too? I know all the carts you use are top performers, but if the Etsuro excels fully, all yr tts deserve it.

don't know. but this is exactly the spot i wanted to be in, and will enjoy figuring it out. could take years or forever.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, as a famous line in Seinfeld ran, re cold medication
"Fast acting" or "long lasting": BOTH would be nice to have. Are you wanting to feel better now OR later? Why not both?
Maybe Etsuro will be "dual action" and demand greater and greater attention to it.

What a great problem to have. Like a fully stocked real ale cabinet Lol.

108CY

May 4, 2013
The opus one is a fantastic cartridge and in the right tonearm on the right turntable is fantastic, the opus one has great palpability in the midrange it has great flow indeed with superb stable imaging. The Etsuro Gold throws a wide deep soundstage that just stupendous but the real trick is the seamless lack of grain in the most natural sense. The Etsuro is able to do this but with a texture and body that is quite difficult to achieve. One can have the transparency but to have the flow and weight and body is rather difficult. The bass of the Etsuro is very quick and deep with great slam while the opus one has a deep flowing bass that can spread in the right system this can work really well and is impressive. The top too bottom they both do very well while the Etsuro does have greater sense of nuance. The latest stock golds are even better than the fist examples in my opinion as they have a greater sense of refinement. As of now the Etsuro Gold is one of the most accomplished cartridges I have ever heard and certainly works hand in glove with the cs port.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very interesting; thank you Mik.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm always intrigued by cart matching. My only totally failed experience was a Lyra Skala on my Michell Orbe/SME V. I thought an incisive cart on a lush tt/arm would be a great synergy, but totally wrong. Indeed the more liquid, warmer Lyra Parnassus fitted hand in glove, only rivalled by the more neutral Transfiguration Orpheus I decided to settle on.

Going to a more forward sounding ESCO modded Zu Denon 103 was an interesting but flawed diversion, both on the Orbe/SME V and my current tt.

My bespoke LPS modded Soundsmith Straingauge seemed to work on my old tt and current one, and this is a real chameleon of a cart.

But Skala v Parnassus experience on a warm tt/arm didn't fit preconceptions.

On paper is the CS Port the "right" tt for the Etsuro? What tts wouldn't the Etsuro suit? What carts wouldn't suit the CS Port?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Did you install a new dedicated phono together with the CS Port ?
A lot of the proponents of Master Sig
have tubed phonos, you use solid
state phonos. Maybe a little romance
needs to be added for best synergy ;)

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
On paper is the CS Port the "right" tt for the Etsuro? What tts wouldn't the Etsuro suit? What carts wouldn't suit the CS Port?

Very hard to answer, CS Port does not provide info about the effective mass of the tonearm, and Etsuro doesn't provide info about the compliance of the cartridge. A lucky match and a serendipity.
I wish someone could measure the cartridge's compliance and the tonearm's effective mass, that would be of great help to people looking to pair the Etsuro with another tonearm or the CS Port tonearm with another cartridge (or even knowing if the Etsuro+CS Port combination falls into the 9-11hz range).
IMO, anyone spending money on a tonearm or a cartridge is entitled to know such relevant data, is incredibly strange that when buying two products that trascend the state of the art of what is available today, the buyer is totally left in the dark when trying to get optimum performance from them.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Now Lagonda, you KNOW what trouble men get into when romance is on the agenda.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Now Lagonda, you KNOW what trouble men get into when romance is on the agenda.
As long as we are only swapping cartridges it’s sill relatively safe :rolleyes:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

(1) i could see myself owning a vdH Master Signature again in the future. if i'm choosing between the MS and the Etsuro Gold right now i have made my choice. but my agenda was what was best for the CS Port with it's linear tracker, and i needed to fund this acquisition in light of my other considerable recent additions. the upside of the Master Sig still intrigues me. i consider it special.

(2) yes; i did add the CS Port phono at the same time as the CS Port turntable; and the CS Port phono is Tubes......not solid state.

(3) the 1.1mv output of the Master Sig was not synergistic with the 63db output of the CS Port Moving Coil output. if i wanted to use this Master Sig with the CS Port phono likely i needed the right SUT to use with the MM outputs. considering the whole picture decided to just move on. and have to sell the MS to fund the Etsuro Gold.

i have not intended to criticize the Master Signature at all; only answer questions about why i did what i did. if i had got around to moving farther down the road with the Master Signature i might have done this differently.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
(1) i could see myself owning a vdH Master Signature again in the future. if i'm choosing between the MS and the Etsuro Gold right now i have made my choice. but my agenda was what was best for the CS Port with it's linear tracker, and i needed to fund this acquisition in light of my other considerable recent additions. the upside of the Master Sig still intrigues me. i consider it special.

(2) yes; i did add the CS Port phono at the same time as the CS Port turntable; and the CS Port phono is Tubes......not solid state.

(3) the 1.1mv output of the Master Sig was not synergistic with the 63db output of the CS Port Moving Coil output. if i wanted to use this Master Sig with the CS Port phono likely i needed the right SUT to use with the MM outputs. considering the whole picture decided to just move on.

i have not intended to criticize the Master Signature at all; only answer questions about why i did what i did. if i had got around to moving farther down the road with the Master Signature i might have done this differently.
I always pay attention to what stays,
and what goes in your system Mike,
it’s been awhile since you owned
a dedicated tubed phono.
It must be very good.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I always pay attention to what stays,
and what goes in your system Mike,
it’s been awhile since you owned
a dedicated tubed phono.
It must be very good.

thanks; yes.....not had a tube'd phono since my Allnic in 2011. before that had the Lamm P2 (2001-2005), and before that the original Aesthetix Io (1998-2001).

i think this CS Port phono is very special; but until i upgraded the cables (both phono and interconnect) much of it's sparkle was hidden. now i hear that it is transparent to the source.

the CS Phono (1) uses battery power. with a 9 hour battery life window. (2) uses a SMPS (switch mode power supply) but note that the designer of this phono circuit ran the research division, and was President of, a large Japanese power supply company before starting CS Port. he might know a bit about power supplies. and (3) impressive fit and finish....very 'zen'. and (4) super low noise floor, grain-less, and very explosive and authoritative.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The opus one is a fantastic cartridge and in the right tonearm on the right turntable is fantastic.
And in a little more lively room you will be amazed it could up its game to another level. :)

From your description of Esturo Gold, it seems to fit perfectly how Mike setup his system and his preferences in sound. Cart like Master Sig is like a good Thai food that Mike could enjoy very much but certainly would not be in his everyday choice of meal.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
And in a little more lively room you will be amazed it could up its game to another level. :)

From your description of Esturo Gold, it seems to fit perfectly how Mike setup his system and his preferences in sound. Cart like Master Sig is like a good Thai food that Mike could enjoy very much but certainly would not be in his everyday choice of meal.

(1) i do agree that my preference for the darTZeel (especially the new 468's), and system strengths seems to work magically with the Etsuro Gold. the system gets out of the way and allows every bit of Etsuro Gold nuance to come through.

(2) i like 5 stars with Thai food. :)

and i do agree that Master Sig can be a fun change of pace in my system at some point. both CS Port and Tosca have head shells allowing quick change. it will likely have to wait until i spend some time on more records for awhile.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations, Mike. I noticed what looks like the Durand saphire mounting plate between the cartridge and headshell and then read on the website that it is indeed a saphire plate but is part of the cartridge. It should have been obvious to me because of the mounting holes. Anyway, sounds like you have reached the end and closed the chapter on this particular turntable/arm/cartridge combination.

I will be interested to learn in a year or so whether or not you spend a majority of your vinyl time with one of your three turntables the way Tango and Rockitman do. That will tell us more than the detailed descriptions that readers have been asking you to write. I understand you wanting to simply listen to music and not analyze differences. I am increasingly less focused on sonic attributes, and more and more simply in the emotion of the music and listening experience.

Thank you for continuing to share your changes on the forum.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations, Mike. I noticed what looks like the Durand saphire mounting plate between the cartridge and headshell and then read on the website that it is indeed a saphire plate but is part of the cartridge. It should have been obvious to me because of the mounting holes. Anyway, sounds like you have reached the end and closed the chapter on this particular turntable/arm/cartridge combination.

thank you Peter.

that sapphire plate does link back in my experience both to that sapphire plate with the original Telos wood arm wand, then later to my Sapphire Telos with all it's sapphire bits. material science is our friend when challenging the possible for our gear. it can matter.

i have reached an end of the initial sorting out period with owning 3 turntables. i feel i have three synergistic tt/arm/cart/phono combinations. i have a feel for how this might go musically and listening relevance wise, but the proof will be found over time. at the moment i'm under the spell of the CS Port/Etsuro Gold magic and no signs of it abating at all. this morning my plan is to go back and forth with that and the Saskia to get a feel for how that might be.

I will be interested to learn in a year or so whether or not you spend a majority of your vinyl time with one of your three turntables the way Tango and Rockitman do. That will tell us more than the detailed descriptions that readers have been asking you to write. I understand you wanting to simply listen to music and not analyze differences. I am increasingly less focused on sonic attributes, and more and more simply in the emotion of the music and listening experience.

Thank you for continuing to share your changes on the forum.

agree that actions speak louder than words.

my guess is that the gravity pulling me toward one turntable combo or another might involve my record acquisition direction. and obviously for me, the area where i am drawn is classical; seemingly the strength of the CS Port/Etsuro Gold. but possibly not all classical would be best served there i think. differences <-> preferences. these are questions only time will answer.

my first move will be to take advantage of all the work Master Tang (and others) have done on his long running thread. i'll start at the beginning and pocketbook willing sample the wares so to speak. i have a nice collection of classical but it will grow.

sonic preferences and mindfulness <-> musical preferences and mindfulness.

one other telling thing maybe not thought about is my digital/vinyl ratio and how i do expect that to adjust. over the last 2-3 years it's been 2-3% (or half that for long periods of time) tape, 15-20% vinyl, and around 80% digital, the last 2-3 months maybe 25-30% vinyl, now i'm expecting close to 50% vinyl. (i've been 95% vinyl since the Etsuro Gold arrived.;)).

maybe that does not sound like a lot of time but i listen to my system more than 30 hours a week.

i still love my digital and all the new music......especially all the new classical i can sample so easily.

we will see what actually happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: dan31

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing