Gamut M250i mono blocks vs ???

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
I really like my Gamut M250i mono blocks and I understand others do too with them picking up the Golden Ear accolade 4 years in a row from TAS

Given i like speed, power & resolution were would you go next? Or are these really on a par with current amps costing much more?

Really interested in peoples views

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi JayDee,

What do you think you are missing with your current set up which seems quite nice? If you can't answer that question, you may wish to consider why you are looking to change things up. The only opinion that counts is yours.

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
Thanks - and I understand that

i supose I am asking you all if I am missing anything. I see lots of talk about amazing amps on here and wondered if anyone had experience of the Gamuts and has moved on

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
If you are happy with what you have, why bother? Obviously and with all due respect, no-one can tell you are missing "something" whatever that may be. And there will always be something that may be better. I can honestly say I'm "done" buying gear, after decades in this hobby, unless something fails. Best of luck.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Do you find that you have good musical involvement out of your system? It would seem you are not happy as you are asking questions. TAS can give a product all the golden ear awards they want but if that product doesn't jell in your system to involve you in the music then something needs to be adjusted/changed. I can't say that it is your amps. What do you like most about what your system does? What do you like least?

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
I am always looking for trends with gear. My Gamuts have come alive with a better pre amp and source, but I suppose I am wondering why there are no other Gamut users on here. is that because there are better power amps which i don't know about or because others never discovered Gamut?

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I am always looking for trends with gear. My Gamuts have come alive with a better pre amp and source, but I suppose I am wondering why there are no other Gamut users on here. is that because there are better power amps which i don't know about or because others never discovered Gamut?

Hi Jade - Fellow GamuT owner here!

I have (actually had) the D200 Mk III stereo amplifier. I bought it used as I had a credit note from the dealer I bought a Benchmark AHB2 from. The Benchmark was so bland and dull (one wanted to turn down the volume) that I returned it. The dealer had a good selection of used equipment and I spotted the GamuT. It has excellent reviews so I bought it untested - the dealer is 500 miles away.

Yes, it's a great amp and in particular the bass was astonishingly fulsome and well controlled. However it had a problem - one that may or may not be present in the M250i monos that you have. Turning on the power, there's a thump that is not supressed and causes an understandable protest from my 104dB speakers. They don't like this one bit and make this known to all by very loudly announcing their displeasure in such a way I was concerned for their welfare.

If I look at the User Guide, I see that this is a known and admitted feature on both my Mk III and the latest i version. I've not looked at the M250i manual, so I don't know if this feature affects their entire amplifier range. Most speakers would murmur a recognition that they've been given a short awakening shock, but high efficiency speakers will loudly protest.

This is something that GamuT could so easily correct - as is done with most other good amplifiers. A relay that keeps the binding posts disconnected from the amp's circuit for 3 or 4 seconds is all that's required. So, much as I loved the sound of the GamuT, I recently sold it to a happy buyer in Iceland.

The GamuT has one big advantage over most power amps - an ability to adjust the gain - by up to 14 dB. However I find it annoying that one has to remove 16 screws to remove the top plate to reach the dip switched to change the gain. Why could this not be done with a switch on the front panel (as Accuphase) or back panel (as Benchmark). Rant over - GamuT build great sounding amps.

I see you have Gamut speakers - the lovely RS7i which are far less sensitive at 89dB, so this switch-on thump (if delivered by your amps) may be barely audible. It may be difficult for you to find a better amp. There's always an advantage to having equipment from the same stable as you can be sure that their listening testing tests during prototype evaluation is done on their own family equipment. Good luck in your search - it may be a long and costly one as was mine to find an ideal SS amp to replace the SETs I was previously using. Peter

Last edited:

samsamsam

Mar 30, 2014
Hi JayDee,

want to ask a question about Gamut speaker,can you tell me how to use a spade to connect to the speaker terminal?the speaker terminal it's seem very thick.thanks

Sam

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Hi JayDee,

want to ask a question about Gamut speaker,can you tell me how to use a spade to connect to the speaker terminal?the speaker terminal it's seem very thick.thanks

Sam
Sam - While I don't have first hand experience with the Gamut speakers or the terminals they use, there are different size spades available. It's not uncommon for a specific component's binding posts to require either a larger or smaller spade to fit correctly. Most cable companies can fit an appropriate sized spade connector to their cables if you let them know what you're connecting to.

samsamsam

Mar 30, 2014
Sam - While I don't have first hand experience with the Gamut speakers or the terminals they use, there are different size spades available. It's not uncommon for a specific component's binding posts to require either a larger or smaller spade to fit correctly. Most cable companies can fit an appropriate sized spade connector to their cables if you let them know what you're connecting to.

Thanks a lot

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
Hi JayDee,

Sam
Sam

The speaker connections are over sized. It is best to use Banana or bare wire. The terminal is too big for spades

samsamsam

Mar 30, 2014

Hi,i'm a user of Gamut m250i too.it's a really good ampifer no matter compare other ampifer.but unfortunately now is discontinued:(
not many people use Gamut ampifer,i think is the look so common.:Dnot like TANK.and the ampifer sound is non colour,most people didn't like.but in fact i think that is good for match other gears(speaker,pre).
i am not a user of Gamut speaker, yesterday i ask a question of Gamut terminal is help my friend to ask.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I note today that the GamuT site is ominously not available. Does anyone know if the company is still in business?

http://www.gamutaudio.com/

Reactions: JayDee

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
Website is work again
I love my Gamut Monos But have been temped into the world of Gyphon monos. If amyine wants a great pair of immaculate black M250i’s watch this space.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Website is work again

Thanks, but something rather worrying - no electronics - only speakers (and cables) featured on their gamut.com website. However a search for Gamut D200 leads to a gamut.com page giving full details. Probably the same with other electronics. How odd they don't offer electronics on their menu.

Perhaps now they are part of the Dantax group, they've had to drop their electronic ranges. A pity if true, although their equipment was certainly due for a few changes as "faults" that have existed in decades-old products like the D200 had still not been resolved. I'm referring for example to the terrible power-up and power-down thump that was sent to the speakers. This was acknowledged by Gamut as it was mentioned in their User Manual, but inexcusable these days and easily resolved with a simple soft-start relay circuit This thump was particular serious with high efficiency speakers such as my 104 dB jobs. No trigger either. Peter

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
All the GamuT electronics are discontinued. They're supposedly working on a brand new line.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Heard the Gamuts, heard the Gryphons, albeit under show conditions. I have heard almost all the contenders, If you have not heard the Audionet SS gear (particularly the MAXs and the Heisenbergs), you should.

samsamsam

Mar 30, 2014
Thanks, but something rather worrying - no electronics - only speakers (and cables) featured on their gamut.com website. However a search for Gamut D200 leads to a gamut.com page giving full details. Probably the same with other electronics. How odd they don't offer electronics on their menu.

Perhaps now they are part of the Dantax group, they've had to drop their electronic ranges. A pity if true, although their equipment was certainly due for a few changes as "faults" that have existed in decades-old products like the D200 had still not been resolved. I'm referring for example to the terrible power-up and power-down thump that was sent to the speakers. This was acknowledged by Gamut as it was mentioned in their User Manual, but inexcusable these days and easily resolved with a simple soft-start relay circuit This thump was particular serious with high efficiency speakers such as my 104 dB jobs. No trigger either. Peter
the problem for me is not obvious,but i suggest that before you turn it off the amp,turn the volume to ZERO first.

samsamsam

Mar 30, 2014
I love my Gamut Monos But have been temped into the world of Gyphon monos. If amyine wants a great pair of immaculate black M250i’s watch this space.
WOW,hope you can write a review for compare those amp.thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing