Good mid-price audiophile switches

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
I found the EdisCreation was an improvement in my digital chain. I use the A side of the ER to the EC to the ENO AG to my dac.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
(I was amazed at what the ENO-AG ethernet filter)

Oh no another dang box !

I had not come across these untill now .. do they work as well if there are no switches in the chain
Phil

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
(I was amazed at what the ENO-AG ethernet filter)

Oh no another dang box !

I had not come across these untill now .. do they work as well if there are no switches in the chain
Phil
Yes the ENO works from a Router or switch upstream in your digital chain, it is a passive device which filters RFI and EFI carried on the cable. It connects downstream to your Dac or streamer with it’s own ethernet cable that is attached to the unit.

Reactions: pjwd

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Anyone try Edison clock mod to SoTm switch?

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Reactions: donkeyshark

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I added a Mutec Ref10 clock to a SoTM switch and ER switch. It was well worth it.
That's a crazy expensive clock... did you try something less expensive beforehand?

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
That's a crazy expensive clock... did you try something less expensive beforehand?
No, I was looking into the less expensive Chinese products, the Ref10 came up used and since I needed a 50 ohm and a 75 ohm clock it made sense to go for it. At the time there was no one selling the clocks for the ER and ebay/alibaba was the way to get a no-name one. I see now there are resellers advertising purpose made clocks for the ER.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
This is why I’m thinking of the Edison mod.. much cheaper option....

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Would someone who is using the Edison switch kindly share which Ethernet port should receive the signal and which port should be used out to the streamer?

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Would someone who is using the Edison switch kindly share which Ethernet port should receive the signal and which port should be used out to the streamer?
It does not matter which Ethernet port. I would just recommend breaking the ground (switch to "ground isolate") on the ethernet port connected to router / upstream switch

Reactions: timztunz

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
It does not matter which Ethernet port. I would just recommend breaking the ground (switch to "ground isolate") on the ethernet port connected to router / upstream switch
Thank you!

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Do you think there is any benefit in keeping them the farthest apart? In on 1 and out on 9, or vice versa?

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I don't have an Ediscreation but I have 3 switches. My experience was each is a further improvement. I have the ER last ( on the streamer) and found it was better there than at the beginning (off the router). Power cables and ethernet cables matter a lot, as do the power supplies for the switches. I was amazed at what the ENO-AG ethernet filter does between the ER and streamer.

I think it takes at least several days for the OCXO to start to settle. Vibration control can also be an issue for the crystals.
Did you try the ENO filter on it's own (removing the ER)?

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I don't remember a/b testing with and without the ER. I do remember the wow factor adding the ENO with the 3 switches in place. I also recently removed the SOtM and ER and just ran the EE 8Switch and it was a big step backwards in sound quality streaming Tidal. I also remember adding the EE 8Switch to the SOtM and ER as having a positive effect.

I felt the ENO's effect being more than the 8Switch.

Essentially, in my system more is better....

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
This maybe a silly question. I just ordered the English Electric 8Switch. I currently use a modem connected to a router. My music server is connected to the router. How do I connect the 8Switch? Once I receive the 8Switch, I will order the ENO.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
This maybe a silly question. I just ordered the English Electric 8Switch. I currently use a modem connected to a router. My music server is connected to the router. How do I connect the 8Switch? Once I receive the 8Switch, I will order the ENO.
Disconnect the server from the router, plug it into the switch. Run another ethernet cable from the switch to a LAN port on the router. Plug any other ethernet devices into the switch, nothing should be connected to the router except the WAN cable from the modem and the LAN connection from the switch.

Reactions: Rejean

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
Audiobomber,
Thanks for your response. Is there a way to eliminate the router?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Audiobomber,
I don't think so unless you get an all in one audiophile router/switch. I think Waversa makes one.

Last edited:

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Audiobomber,
The router is a bridge between networks, i.e. the Wide Area Network of the internet, and the Local Area Network in your home. A switch operates within a singe network. You can eliminate the switch by using the router as a router and switch, but you need a router.

Your new switch will allow the router to specialize. I'm confident you will find that relieving the router of its switching duties will improve sound quality. You may get another little bump in SQ by improving the router's power supply.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing