Good mid-price audiophile switches

slai

Dec 13, 2020
Singapore, Shanghai
Not exactly but I have an etherRegen with Afterdark audiostyle OCXO clock. Both powered with Sean Jacobs DC-3 and DC-2. The external clock feeding the eR is a great upgrade. Wonder how close this would come the Innuos Phoenix Net or edisoncreation switch. Obviously the quality of clocks have a big impact.
Thank you for Sharing, Magnuska. As the eR is relatively warm and am also looking to simplify my system (switch and ps in a box), am pondering the possibility of switches from N&E Audio and aDark.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Thank you for Sharing, Magnuska. As the eR is relatively warm and am also looking to simplify my system (switch and ps in a box), am pondering the possibility of switches from N&E Audio and aDark.

I’m trying to avoid increasing clutter. Fewer boxes is a goal so the Edison switch appeals to me from that respect. Not sure it’s enough justification to move on from my eR/Super3. I’m in a happy place. I guess that’s the one advantage of not knowing how much better it can get.

slai

Dec 13, 2020
Singapore, Shanghai
I’m trying to avoid increasing clutter. Fewer boxes is a goal so the Edison switch appeals to me from that respect. Not sure it’s enough justification to move on from my eR/Super3. I’m in a happy place. I guess that’s the one advantage of not knowing how much better it can get.
I share the same thoughts of wanting fewer boxes and having less clutter. Hence I am holding back from purchasing a good LPS (Super3/Hypsos/JR-2) for the eR, while considering possibilities.

Reactions: kennyb123

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
I also try to avoid clutter:). A lot to learn and evolving superfast. When I bought the etherRegen we had very limited knowhow about the impact of better PSU and clocks. Now we know more and more brands have it built inside the box. I have been thinking to replace my clutter with the Phoenix net. A friend om mine have just bought it and its really good in his system, also replacing a etherRegen. But if the edison extreme version would be close to the phoenix net then this is really a bang for the buck.

Reactions: kennyb123

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I also try to avoid clutter:). A lot to learn and evolving superfast. When I bought the etherRegen we had very limited knowhow about the impact of better PSU and clocks. Now we know more and more brands have it built inside the box. I have been thinking to replace my clutter with the Phoenix net. A friend om mine have just bought it and its really good in his system, also replacing a etherRegen. But if the edison extreme version would be close to the phoenix net then this is really a bang for the buck.
I would consider the Edison Extreme. I am going to try and compare it to my Melco and I have been told it beats it by a fair margin, and is cheaper to boot. That makes it way cheaper than the Inuos.

Reactions: Forte and Magnuska

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
The PhoenixNet review that some may have seen earlier this week has made it over to 6Moons ... in English.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
With 3 switches and 3 LPS's and a Mutec REF10 clock clutter does not adequately describe the mess. However, I found 3 switches better than two. I found adding the Mutec to the ER and SOtM switches very worthwhile. I wonder (don't know) if there is an additional benefit to using the same clock on the 2 switches.

I also have an Innuos Statement and found reclocking the USB (essentially a Innous Phoenix) with the Denafrips Terminator Plus and Iris DDC an unquestionable improvement - and moves the mess to another level. So while the Innuos switch is not exactly the same as the USB reclocker it may not be a stand alone end game for switches? I would test a new switch with and without an ER or your old switch before settling on a single switch.

It may be worth the clutter.

Reactions: Forte and Magnuska

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
With 3 switches and 3 LPS's and a Mutec REF10 clock clutter does not adequately describe the mess. However, I found 3 switches better than two. I found adding the Mutec to the ER and SOtM switches very worthwhile. I wonder (don't know) if there is an additional benefit to using the same clock on the 2 switches.

I also have an Innuos Statement and found reclocking the USB (essentially a Innous Phoenix) with the Denafrips Terminator Plus and Iris DDC an unquestionable improvement - and moves the mess to another level. So while the Innuos switch is not exactly the same as the USB reclocker it may not be a stand alone end game for switches? I would test a new switch with and without an ER or your old switch before settling on a single switch.

It may be worth the clutter.

So, you have three switches plus fiber? Wow! Plus clock, and a few linear power supplies! this is by far the harde(est) core I have ever seen in this “front”. I appreciate your dedication

Reactions: timztunz

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
So, you have three switches plus fiber? Wow! Plus clock, and a few linear power supplies! this is by far the harde(est) core I have ever seen in this “front”. I appreciate your dedication
It scares the hell out of me.

Reactions: kennyb123 and Forte

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
I have found that more switches are better if they are from different brands vs all from same brands.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
I would consider the Edison Extreme. I am going to try and compare it to my Melco and I have been told it beats it by a fair margin, and is cheaper to boot. That makes it way cheaper than the Inuos.
Please share when you have compared Edison extreme with Melco S-100 and powersupply?

Reactions: rgmd11

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
Anybody try Renolabs?

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Latest midfi switch adventures:
- Silent Angel Bonn N16
- SotM sNH-10G (fully modded)
- Buffalo GS-2016 (clock, PS and led mod)
- Telegartner M12 Magic
- Apple Airport Express

Attachments

• 38C42AD6-B934-40CD-B3FF-2F665B211B61.jpeg
    38C42AD6-B934-40CD-B3FF-2F665B211B61.jpeg
    636.9 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: Danski

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
My poor beautiful JS-2! Why do you stack all those ugly switches on top of it?
:eek::cool:
I had some (short) wiring issues. Vault Boy wasn't happy either but it’s better after full gear re-arrangement.

Attachments

• 198424C2-D7D1-4427-BE36-D65BEA324DC3.jpeg
    198424C2-D7D1-4427-BE36-D65BEA324DC3.jpeg
    565.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 658FCA64-5580-446A-8C42-5BE0E0381F9F.jpeg
    658FCA64-5580-446A-8C42-5BE0E0381F9F.jpeg
    564.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
I have been thinking of the Ediscreation extreme silent switch. But as I have seen many recent post claiming that putting 2 or more switches in series is an upgrade. Would 2 standard Ediscreation switches in series sound better than one extreme? It would be a little more expensive with 2 but not much.

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
I have been thinking of the Ediscreation extreme silent switch. But as I have seen many recent post claiming that putting 2 or more switches in series is an upgrade. Would 2 standard Ediscreation switches in series sound better than one extreme? It would be a little more expensive with 2 but not much.
I cant comment on Edison but from my experience with multiple switches of same brands, I'm guessing you may be better off with one Edis extreme edition vs 2 Edis regulars. 2 of the same will likely lower noise floor (but you need another PC and lan cable) while one Extreme will do more than lower just noise floor. You can always add a budget switch in front of the Edis Extreme to lower noise floor.

Reactions: Magnuska

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
I may be able to offer some real life / actual owner insights on your question in a few days. I just received today the EdisCreation “Extreme“ Silent OXCO Switch. You probably read my impressions of the “Standard“ EdisCreation Switch above on this thread. I now have both of them, and will “cascade”. Not exactly your inquiry, but close.

Give me a few days to put them in play and figure things out

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
I recently installed a new system and I thought I would start with a "cheaper" switch to start with something until I can refine / finalize my digital side of things so I got the silent angel bonn 8 with a ifi power supply. Some claim smps work better with switch vs lpsu.
I didn't want to spend too much and it would give me a base to try, and if I decide to upgrade, I could still use this switch to replace a TP-link feeding my other non hifi devices and therefore keep the general network cleaner as well.

I had not experienced before with upgrading network / power so it was interesting to make some trials.
The first upgrade was to change the power supplies of the internet provider and my nas for better lpsu. Big difference.
I then compared going from the router vs the silent angel. Very audible difference. Going from the router, the sound was not satisfying.
I will not describe in details what the improvements were as it is well known by now. It's not suble.
(Bear in mind it was still audible despite my whole system + cables + power lines are all new and not yet broken in)
The way I see it, it is small yet very audible increments that all add up.

Encouraged by this and following good comments here, I ordered the Extreme Edisreation today.
The interaction with Edison was great and I'm now looking forward to receive my unit, in about 3 weeks I believe.

I will be able to compare both and will report.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing