Good mid-price audiophile switches

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Quick update: continue to be impressed with EdisCreation Silent OCXO switch. I came back from work tonight, after leaving the switch on full time, and I can say my system never sounded so good. So I put my money where my mouth is, and ordered a second one, this time the “extreme“ version.

When it arrives in a few weeks, I will put the Extreme where my audio is, and will “relegate” my Standard switch to replace the main switch that feeds my HT stuff and the new Extreme switch
I just ordered the fancy one based on your excellent report thank you.
Will be very interested to see what the number 2 does for your HT setup .. hadn't occured to me

Phil

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Would anyone here be so kind as to explain, in fairly simple terms, why one of these switches have a bearing on sound quality? First let me say that I do believe they do. I have an Aurender N20. From my Xfinity router I have CAT8 in a short run to a 16 port Netgear switch. From that switch a fairly long run of CAT8 to the music room. I first went directly into the N20. When I added the EtherREGEN and upgraded power supply I got an improvement. When I upgraded to a Sablon Ethernet cable, an improvement. Based on the comments of someone here I upgraded the power supply to a Farad Super3, further improvement. But if I understand correctly the Aurender buffers the Internet stream and plays from the HD. If the stream from the Internet is being buffered how does the switch affect the audio signal? Sorry if this is a moronic question.

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Some listeners a while back discovered that re-clocking with a really good clock can undo some of the harm that cheap clocks had done further upstream. Successive re-clocking can help further providing the best clock is used closest to the streamer as a lesser clock can reverse some of the gains.

I honestly don’t know it this is accurate but it would maybe explain some of this madness. I think there’s more to it though as the better switches take care to do less harm as far as passing noise on to our gear.
This is hard to explain and I am not qualified to do so but take with a grain of salt.
From my humble testing, it is more cost effective to upgrade (and/or get more) switches than spend top coin$ on a ultra high end ethernet cable or swapping mid level to ultra high end cables.
After adding/trying a few mid-fi switches, you may think you just upgraded your dac (or whole system and/or had your ears cleaned).
If you are able to test or borrow some switches, I encourage you to do so.
I even tried my used Apple Airport Express (with wifi turned off) as a "switch" straight from router and that improved my setup. Bizarre.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
lso,
Quick update: continue to be impressed with EdisCreation Silent OCXO switch. I came back from work tonight, after leaving the switch on full time, and I can say my system never sounded so good. So I put my money where my mouth is, and ordered a second one, this time the “extreme“ version.

When it arrives in a few weeks, I will put the Extreme where my audio is, and will “relegate” my Standard switch to replace the main switch that feeds my HT stuff and the new Extreme switch
Hi thyname,
Congratulations!

Please note that the internal components of the Extreme Version take much much longer time to run-in. Pls be patient. ;)

Also, my friends and I don't like the Bybee filters inside the Extreme version.
We asked Edison to omit it when ordering so this "simplified Extreme Version" is cheaper.
(But this is our personal preference only.)

Reactions: Forte and thyname

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
CK, is the EdisSS isolate ground switch “audibly” noticeable?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
lso,

Hi thyname,
Congratulations!

Please note that the internal components of the Extreme Version take much much longer time to run-in. Pls be patient. ;)

We asked Edison to omit it when ordering so this "simplified Extreme Version" is cheaper.
Hi CK
I just ordered the extreme ... thanks for starting this thread...did you listen with and without bybee .. my experience is that bybee devices worked OK in power supply side
Phil

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
It's my personal preference only.
To my wooden ears, I think it throws the baby out with the bath water.
:p

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
This is hard to explain and I am not qualified to do so but take with a grain of salt.
From my humble testing, it is more cost effective to upgrade (and/or get more) switches than spend top coin$ on a ultra high end ethernet cable or swapping mid level to ultra high end cables.
After adding/trying a few mid-fi switches, you may think you just upgraded your dac (or whole system and/or had your ears cleaned).
If you are able to test or borrow some switches, I encourage you to do so.
I even tried my used Apple Airport Express (with wifi turned off) as a "switch" straight from router and that improved my setup. Bizarre.

That hurts my head to think about. LOL

Good advice - thanks.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
lso,

Hi thyname,
Congratulations!

Hi CK.
Could you please explain your opinion about Edison’s switch by itself and vs others?
What don’t you like about ByBee filters?
Sound differences between grounded vs isolated?
Regards.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CK.
Could you please explain your opinion about Edison’s switch by itself and vs others?
What don’t you like about ByBee filters?
Sound differences between grounded vs isolated?
Regards.
Selling at around usd800 only, but with proprietary circuit boards, internal linear powersupply & ocxo module, the Edison switch is a steal for sure.
Sonic-performance-wise it can fight with many of the more expensive audio switches and right now if any friends in HK ask me for advice on mid-price audiophile switches, I will recommend Edison switch to them.

Concerning Bybee filters, I think it creates so much quietness that some airliness and dynamics are gone.
This can be diff if the mains is very noisy.
My personal preference only.
:)

slai

Dec 13, 2020
Singapore, Shanghai
Have anyone done any comparison between N&E Audio Silent Switch OCXO and the AFTERDARK Project ClayX Giesenmann Network Switch X OCXO 10M Master Clock?

Last edited:

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Have anyone done any comparison between N&E Audio Silent Switch OCXO and the AFTERDARK Project ClayX Giesenmann Network Switch X OCXO 10M Master Clock?
Not exactly but I have an etherRegen with Afterdark audiostyle OCXO clock. Both powered with Sean Jacobs DC-3 and DC-2. The external clock feeding the eR is a great upgrade. Wonder how close this would come the Innuos Phoenix Net or edisoncreation switch. Obviously the quality of clocks have a big impact.

Reactions: Nikko

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing