Good mid-price audiophile switches

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Has not shipped yet. I followed up yesterday with Edison and he emailed me back saying "my switch is in process" and will ship this week.

Hopefully it ships soon. And once it ships from Hong Kong, it will take a while to arrive here (I am in USA)
I hope you are already enjoying it....

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Not yet. It was shipped, but has not arrived here. Any day now

The Edison Silent Switch arrived today. Impressive looking unit, super built, heavy, big, beautiful! Outstanding packaging as well. I felt I was getting something like an amp or DAC, component.

In terms of timeframe, it took two weeks to build and ship, but once it was shipped, it arrived in five days, from Hong Kong to East Coast US. Which is remarkable! It was shipped with something called SF Express, then when arrived in the NY airport hub, UPS Ground took over and delivered.

Have not had the chance to listen yet, I hooked it up to my main level, next to router first, to make sure it worked (yes, it did!). I will keep it there for one day or two, then transfer downstairs where my Audio system is.

@Stereophonic

04177496-6639-40B0-88F9-A7097A914F64.jpeg

ECB309D0-D488-4CF3-A2BE-5A110E80A85E.jpeg
144E6607-0510-4C77-9DD0-25E10BC6DA37.jpeg

Last edited:

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
The Edison Silent Switch arrived today. Impressive looking unit, super built, heavy, big, beautiful! Outstanding packaging as well. I felt I was getting something like an amp or DAC, component.

In terms of timeframe, it took two weeks to build and ship, but once it was shipped, it arrived in five days, from Hong Kong to East Coast US. Which is remarkable! It was shipped with something called SF Express, then when arrived in the NY airport hub, UPS Ground took over and delivered.

Have not had the chance to listen yet, I hooked it up to my main level, next to router first, to make sure it worked (yes, it did!). I will keep it there for one day or two, then transfer downstairs where my Audio system is.

@Stereophonic

View attachment 76341

View attachment 76342
View attachment 76343
Well thyname - I imagine a few folks are waiting for your report before pulling the trigger - I certainly am !

no pressure :)

Phil

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia

Attachments

• FAA47C4D-57F7-4F3F-A10C-6DFFAED80FF7.jpeg
    FAA47C4D-57F7-4F3F-A10C-6DFFAED80FF7.jpeg
    813.1 KB · Views: 42

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain

@Stereophonic

View attachment 76341

View attachment 76342
View attachment 76343
Thank you very much for your pictures...
It looks as every Edison design. Stunning construction.
I can’t wait for your listening experience...

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Thank you very much for your pictures...
It looks as every Edison design. Stunning construction.
I can’t wait for your listening experience...

Thanks! I am itching to put it in my audio system downstairs. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.

As for the looks and feel: seeing pictures is one thing, having it is another. I had seen all pictures I could find on this, here and elsewhere, and still, was pleasantly surprised when it arrived. From unpacking it, to holding it. It really changes your perception of a “switch”. It looks and feels like a component

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Thanks! I am itching to put it in my audio system downstairs. Maybe tonight or tomorrow.

As for the looks and feel: seeing pictures is one thing, having it is another. I had seen all pictures I could find on this, here and elsewhere, and still, was pleasantly surprised when it arrived. From unpacking it, to holding it. It really changes your perception of a “switch”. It looks and feels like a component
I have Edison’s Extreme LPS so i know what you are talking about...;)

Reactions: thyname

janleysen

Feb 4, 2021
I have a (8 year old) Netgear switch. From there an ethernet cable is running to my streamer (but other devices are also connected to this switch).
Should I replace the Netgear switch with an "audiophile switch" (with enough ports to connect all my devices), or is it a good idea to put an audiophile switch in my listening room between the ethernet cable that comes from the Nertgear switch and my streamer?
Thanks!

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Better idea is reverse connection.
Putting your internet access point and router on your listening room ( Server place) with an audiophile switch and connecting your old Netgear from new switch....
You will avoid a lot of noise and you’ll have stronger digital system signal for audio.

StefanT

Mar 28, 2014
I have a (8 year old) Netgear switch. From there an ethernet cable is running to my streamer (but other devices are also connected to this switch).
Should I replace the Netgear switch with an "audiophile switch" (with enough ports to connect all my devices), or is it a good idea to put an audiophile switch in my listening room between the ethernet cable that comes from the Nertgear switch and my streamer?
Thanks!
Most people have maybe 10 - 20 meters between their Internet Acces Point/Router in their homes and their HiFi system in their listening room. My advise (and what's also been recommended to me) is to keep your Netgear switch close to your router and connect it with a good general ethernet cable to your "Audiophile switch" that you install as close to HiFi system as possible. Then, between your "Audiophile switch" and your streamer/network player you could try a short length (1-2 meter) of an "Audiophile" ethernet cable.

Reactions: Nikko and thyname

janleysen

Feb 4, 2021
Most people have maybe 10 - 20 meters between their Internet Acces Point/Router in their homes and their HiFi system in their listening room. My advise (and what's also been recommended to me) is to keep your Netgear switch close to your router and connect it with a good general ethernet cable to your "Audiophile switch" that you install as close to HiFi system as possible. Then, between your "Audiophile switch" and your streamer/network player you could try a short length (1-2 meter) of an "Audiophile" ethernet cable.
Thank you, StefanT!

janleysen

Feb 4, 2021
Better idea is reverse connection.
Putting your internet access point and router on your listening room ( Server place) with an audiophile switch and connecting your old Netgear from new switch....
You will avoid a lot of noise and you’ll have stronger digital system signal for audio.
Thank you. Unfortunately, that is not possible.

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia

@Stereophonic

View attachment 76341

View attachment 76342
View attachment 76343
Here is an update on the EdisCreation Silent OCXO Switch, standard version of it, as I finally put it in my audio system, after I left it running in a different place in the house for almost over 24 hours:

First, let’s be real, it’s a switch. We are not talking here about replacing “my” Walmart receiver with a top quality amp. So my expectations are very realistic here, I have been in this hobby for almost twenty years now, and I have tried many things. And yet, I am thrilled to report my expectations were exceeded by a very wide margin. For a switch. If I say “I was pleasantly surprised”, it would be an understatement. In an attempt to quantify: “before” and “after” the Edison’s Switch, I was expecting a difference of between 0% to +2%. Centered towards / close to 0% in expectations to be honest. First couple of hours of listening (actually more like the first seconds sound came out with it in place), a solid +4-5%! I would have even put higher percentage, but I am really trying hard not to sound REALLY silly or heavily struck by placebo Yeah, I know putting percentages here is a bit silly, but hey! Why not?

I was very happy with my previous switch, the EtherRegen, from launch first batch November 2019, but this is better. To my ears. I am sorry. It is also more expensive, at upper $800s, once you factor in shipping and current exchange rate USD vs. Hong Kong $. Truth be told, the EtherRegen was the first and only “audiophile” switch I tried very early, and made me believe they CAN make a difference. So here is that.

I don’t know why it sounds good, don’t ask me technical questions or ask me to provide measurements as proof . Just my own subjective impressions. Maybe it’s the superior built-in optimized OCXO clock, or the built in linear power supply, or the case, or the ground lifting pots (which by the way are a great idea!), or the connectors, or.... who knows. I just know I like what it does for me.

Just a couple of observations on sound I can easily discern: better tonal quality. Instruments sound more accurate, more natural. Some people call this timbre. In other words, sound is more natural to my ears, or to what I perceive to be “natural”. Better dynamics, as in improved difference between quiet and loud passages. The sound is now more clearly defined, sharper outlined phantom images, which I think it gives me an enhanced ability to hear the brief moments of silence between the passages. Overall, quieter, more naturally pleasing “cozy”, “fuller” sound, having lost nothing in details, or “speed” and impact.

I did ground the Edison Silent OCXO switch to my Shunyata Everest CGS ports, and why not, I have the Everest already, spare ground cables, and the Edison switch has the ground terminal. So nothing I had to pay extra for to ground it. I isolated the ground on the outlet pot connected to main room switch, and left the ground pot connected on the outlet feeding my streaming DAC (Esoteric N-01XD).

Still too early, although I feel confident it can only get better, not worse. To the point of thinking of getting a second one (I should really try to fight these ideas in my head , unhealthy). If I do get a second one, I will use it to replace main house switch in this room, which will feed my HT equipment stuff (video streamers, TVs, DVR), as well as feed the second Edison switch dedicated to my stereo for cascading. Still just a thought, it has eight outlets as an added “bonus” for convenience and multiple usage, which comes handy in this scenario. I am totally aware it might not be the same improvement in size I get now for the one audio-dedicated switch.

Bottom line: I feel this is money very well spent FOR ME. Absolutely zero regrets or buyer’s remorse. Thanks to @CKKeung for starting this thread and @Stereophonic as well (another thread), and for bringing this to my attention. It’s sometimes the smaller companies, hidden under the radar, that make innovative products at relatively affordable prices.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Here is an update on the EdisCreation Silent OCXO Switch, standard version of it, as I finally put it in my audio system, after I left it running in a different place in the house for almost over 24 hours:

First, let’s be real, it’s a switch. We are not talking here about replacing “my” Walmart receiver with a top quality amp. So my expectations are very realistic here, I have been in this hobby for almost twenty years now, and I have tried many things. And yet, I am thrilled to report my expectations were exceeded by a very wide margin. For a switch. If I say “I was pleasantly surprised”, it would be an understatement. In an attempt to quantify: “before” and “after” the Edison’s Switch, I was expecting a difference of between 0% to +2%. Centered towards / close to 0% in expectations to be honest. First couple of hours of listening (actually more like the first seconds sound came out with it in place), a solid +4-5%! I would have even put higher percentage, but I am really trying hard not to sound REALLY silly or heavily struck by placebo Yeah, I know putting percentages here is a bit silly, but hey! Why not?

I was very happy with my previous switch, the EtherRegen, from launch first batch November 2019, but this is better. To my ears. I am sorry. It is also more expensive, at upper $800s, once you factor in shipping and current exchange rate USD vs. Hong Kong $. Truth be told, the EtherRegen was the first and only “audiophile” switch I tried very early, and made me believe they CAN make a difference. So here is that.

I don’t know why it sounds good, don’t ask me technical questions or ask me to provide measurements as proof . Just my own subjective impressions. Maybe it’s the superior built-in optimized OCXO clock, or the built in linear power supply, or the case, or the ground lifting pots (which by the way are a great idea!), or the connectors, or.... who knows. I just know I like what it does for me.

Just a couple of observations on sound I can easily discern: better tonal quality. Instruments sound more accurate, more natural. Some people call this timbre. In other words, sound is more natural to my ears, or to what I perceive to be “natural”. Better dynamics, as in improved difference between quiet and loud passages. The sound is now more clearly defined, sharper outlined phantom images, which I think it gives me an enhanced ability to hear the brief moments of silence between the passages. Overall, quieter, more naturally pleasing “cozy”, “fuller” sound, having lost nothing in details, or “speed” and impact.

I did ground the Edison Silent OCXO switch to my Shunyata Everest CGS ports, and why not, I have the Everest already, spare ground cables, and the Edison switch has the ground terminal. So nothing I had to pay extra for to ground it. I isolated the ground on the outlet pot connected to main room switch, and left the ground pot connected on the outlet feeding my streaming DAC (Esoteric N-01XD).

Still too early, although I feel confident it can only get better, not worse. To the point of thinking of getting a second one (I should really try to fight these ideas in my head , unhealthy). If I do get a second one, I will use it to replace main house switch in this room, which will feed my HT equipment stuff (video streamers, TVs, DVR), as well as feed the second Edison switch dedicated to my stereo for cascading. Still just a thought, it has eight outlets as an added “bonus” for convenience and multiple usage, which comes handy in this scenario. I am totally aware it might not be the same improvement in size I get now for the one audio-dedicated switch.

Bottom line: I feel this is money very well spent FOR ME. Absolutely zero regrets or buyer’s remorse. Thanks to @CKKeung for starting this thread and @Stereophonic as well (another thread), and for bringing this to my attention. It’s sometimes the smaller companies, hidden under the radar, that make innovative products at relatively affordable prices.
Hi Thyname,
Congratulations!

But your result is not unexpected.
The performance of Edison Silent Switch Switch OCXO exceeded my expectation similarly.
IMO it's the best-buy audiophile switch in the market currently!

BTW I think your plan of buying a second one is not irrational.
Enjoy!
:)

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

Great description - very helpful. Congrats!

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I was very happy with my previous switch, the EtherRegen, from launch first batch November 2019, but this is better.
Question - how had you been powering your ER? Your Edison switch includes an internal LPS so the apples to apples comparison would have the ER powered by an LPS as well.

$800 with a built-in LPS is a heck of a good price. I’ve added a Super3 to my ER so it’s more like I have a $1300 switch including the DC cable.

Reactions: Miki70

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
... $800 with a built-in LPS is a heck of a good price. I’ve added a Super3 to my ER so it’s more like I have a $1300 switch including the DC cable.
It's US$800 with a built-in LPS AND an ocxo clock module.
IMHO it's a steal.

Reactions: kennyb123

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Question - how had you been powering your ER? Your Edison switch includes an internal LPS so the apples to apples comparison would have the ER powered by an LPS as well.

$800 with a built-in LPS is a heck of a good price. I’ve added a Super3 to my ER so it’s more like I have a $1300 switch including the DC cable.
LPS-1.2 first, then Keces P8

Reactions: kennyb123

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Hi Thyname,
Congratulations!

But your result is not unexpected.
The performance of Edison Silent Switch Switch OCXO exceeded my expectation similarly.
IMO it's the best-buy audiophile switch in the market currently!

BTW I think your plan of buying a second one is not irrational.
Enjoy!
:)
Could you share with us your experience?
Regards !!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing