Gryphon Mephisto Stereo

gshelley

Member Sponsor
Jan 10, 2011
Austin, TX
Have not had the chance to hear any Gryphon amps. Have heard many of the amps you reference and compare back to Mephisto though. We seem to have very similar sonic biases.

FWIW: My current improvement tracks are Room Acoustics and vibration/resonance control. Recently added Critical Mass amp stands and was really surprised by their impact. They’re the real deal- as many already know.

Thanks for all your posts.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Lloyd,
Congratulations on the Gryphon Mephisto. Always enjoy your commentary and happy you’re able to make the transition. Makes me want Mephisto(s) to replace my Lamm’s!

I have seriously considered the Mephisto's with the Audio Research REF40 in the past. However their low input impedance - 20 kohms, 10 kohm in the monoblocks - is not the best for the ARC preamplfiers. Either the GAT or the 7.5mk3 would theoretically be a more compatible tube preamplfier.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Vienna do you think the Pandora is still the best preamp for the Mephisto stereo or would CH Precision L1 be even better ?
Cheers.
During auditions I had listened to the Ch pre with Mephisto and it was amazing, of course not night and day difference. The only reason I went for Pandora it was the single power supply for the Pandora and Legato plus the fact that I could happily live with the Pandora.

Reactions: Thieliste

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
During auditions I had listened to the Ch pre with Mephisto and it was amazing, of course not night and day difference. The only reason I went for Pandora it was the single power supply for the Pandora and Legato plus the fact that I could happily live with the Pandora.

Thanks. The compares you stated with the other amps, were these controlled or at shows, especially with the boulder? What differences did you note with the boulder

Vienna

VIP/Donor
No
Thanks. The compares you stated with the other amps, were these controlled or at shows, especially with the boulder? What differences did you note with the boulder
None of these auditions where in a show. All took place privately.
The specific boulder’s sound stage was small and without soul for me. I didn’t experience any goose bump or felt that I got into the music. In contrary these feelings were witnessed immediately with the Mephisto, Pandora and CH pre.
I just knew that I had to own this amplifier.

Today I was in a studio for listening to some turntables. All of them played with the same Burmester phono, preamp and mono power amps. Again I could realize the potential of the Techdas but I was terribly missing my Mephisto sound with my modest turntable.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No

None of these auditions where in a show. All took place privately.
The specific boulder’s sound stage was small and without soul for me. I didn’t experience any goose bump or felt that I got into the music. In contrary these feelings were witnessed immediately with the Mephisto, Pandora and CH pre.
I just knew that I had to own this amplifier.

Today I was in a studio for listening to some turntables. All of them played with the same Burmester phono, preamp and mono power amps. Again I could realize the potential of the Techdas but I was terribly missing my Mephisto sound with my modest turntable.

Thanks. Burmester I like the phono a lot in SS phonos but not the pre or the power. Try to audition the phono with your gryphon. I have never heard the Legato

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Thanks. Burmester I like the phono a lot in SS phonos but not the pre or the power. Try to audition the phono with your gryphon. I have never heard the Legato
The Legato Legacy is at my home and will stay. It’s Mephisto’s brother!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Legato Legacy is at my home and will stay. It’s Mephisto’s brother!

Oh ok sorry I missed that you already owned the legato. Congrats. Is there any chance of being able to compare it to another phono if I visit? Thanks

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Oh ok sorry I missed that you already owned the legato. Congrats. Is there any chance of being able to compare it to another phono if I visit? Thanks
If you would visit, I would !

Reactions: bonzo75

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Have not had the chance to hear any Gryphon amps. Have heard many of the amps you reference and compare back to Mephisto though. We seem to have very similar sonic biases.

FWIW: My current improvement tracks are Room Acoustics and vibration/resonance control. Recently added Critical Mass amp stands and was really surprised by their impact. They’re the real deal- as many already know.

Thanks for all your posts.
FWIW, I am a huge fan of isolation...and in my case particularly admire HRS and Critical Mass...and very nearly did a full custom shelving system with one of them. In the end, i had a custom cabinet made with 4" thick shelves (piano gloss, African black sapele book matched, etc)...and then used HRS/Stillpoints under each component...and HRS/Artsenania damping plates on top.

But if were to go full cabinetry, i could easily go with either HRS or Critical Mass.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have seriously considered the Mephisto's with the Audio Research REF40 in the past. However their low input impedance - 20 kohms, 10 kohm in the monoblocks - is not the best for the ARC preamplfiers. Either the GAT or the 7.5mk3 would theoretically be a more compatible tube preamplfier.
well...given that you now have both the GAT and the 7.5mk3...that could be an option for you! ;)

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I like Gryphon amp,
i had Antileon Signature and i loved a lot this amp and i like a lot Colosseum and Mephisto listen many times from my friend and in the shop,but i don't like the pre.
I had Sonata Allegro and i found little dark for my taste and also Pandora i don't like a lot

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
HI Gian,

Thank you for your kind words...i always respect your IMMENSE experience. I also respect your kind advice to me about preferring the CH Precision M1 monos over the Mephistos. Having heard FM Acoustics (which i am told is 'similar'), I could see how great that might be. For me, the PRICE of the 2nd hand Mephisto was a key driver in my decision too...and I will be honest...for me, to own a Mephisto is already plenty of blessing...so I am very happy.

In fact, before acquiring the Mephisto, I took your advice and JackD201s...and spoke with the CH Distributor and agreed to aim for an in-house audition in early Feb. However, that was BEFORE I came across the Mephisto 2nd hand...and agreed the price within hours. I will be honest and let him know that I am [very likely] to keep the Mephisto...but if he is prepared to bring an M1.1 stereo for a shoot-out...i remain 'totally open minded'.

Reactions: gian60

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
HI Gian,

Thank you for your kind words...i always respect your IMMENSE experience. I also respect your kind advice to me about preferring the CH Precision M1 monos over the Mephistos. Having heard FM Acoustics (which i am told is 'similar'), I could see how great that might be. For me, the PRICE of the 2nd hand Mephisto was a key driver in my decision too...and I will be honest...for me, to own a Mephisto is already plenty of blessing...so I am very happy.

In fact, before acquiring the Mephisto, I took your advice and JackD201s...and spoke with the CH Distributor and agreed to aim for an in-house audition in early Feb. However, that was BEFORE I came across the Mephisto 2nd hand...and agreed the price within hours. I will be honest and let him know that I am [very likely] to keep the Mephisto...but if he is prepared to bring an M1.1 stereo for a shoot-out...i remain 'totally open minded'.

That shoot-out would be interesting;)

Reactions: Ron Resnick

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, if the Distributor is willing to bring the M1.1 Stereo, I will do it.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
We have to consider that the Mephisto is one of the best amp in the world and is an object incredible for construction and lookOne my friend had Mephisto stereo and changed with Mephisto mono and told me was a big step

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ha-hah! Yes, I am sure that Mono vs Stereo can be a very powerful improvement yet again. I remember many years ago considering my CJ MV60 amps (great amps)...and monoblocking them...and EVERYONE said it would be tremendous improvement.

On the other hand, i have heard there are 'some' stereo amps where people have remarked that the increase in linearity, dynamics is not always preferred. For example, I have heard 2 people now say they prefer the Boulder 3060 stereo to the 3050 monos, and 3-4 people have said that to me about the D'Agostino Momentum stereo vs the monos as well. ("Stereo is 'sweeter' was the basic reasoning.")

In my case, I have heard the Mephisto monos are absolutely stunning. Even on my 95db efficient speakers, i can imagine there is STILL a big difference...mainly because 'effortlessness' would increase significantly yet again. The Mephisto stereo is already a big improvement over the Colosseum Stereo.

But for me, Stereo is not only plenty great...it is also plenty BIG. I was reading about Dan D'Agostinos Relentless monos...i compared the Relentless monoblock dimensions to the Gryphon Mephisto...in cubic volume it is only 5% bigger!

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
Thanks! Yes, it has been quite a long time the Mephisto has on my list as a long-term buy...along with TA Opus cables, CJ GAT (then GAT 2), Tripoint/Entreq. And yes, along with the Arrakis...;)

I owned a pair of the Rockport Altair’s. I traded them in for the arrakis. I use to get up in the middle of the night and go down stairs and huge them. I drove them with vtl siegfrieds. But alas, we decided to move to a resort town where 75% of our house is bedrooms and baths. So I sold everything. Now when I get nostalgic I visit them on audiogon. I view the guys system I sold them to. They are amazing. F’in HEAVY! I had a lift to put the top section on top of the bottom section. I was younger (crazy)and set them up my self! You need high ceilings and a big room. They are biamped. So you need mult amps and speaker cables. Insane! While I loved them(huge middle of night), and I don’t get up in the middle of the night an huge my Q5’s, I am happier. It’s easier. Less. In every way. Now I get up in the middle of the night, listen to music and pee. ??

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I remember your saying this! I nearly bid for your Arrakis when i saw them come up on AGon those many years ago!!! I do not regret not buying them...though they were at the right price but not the right time for me. But I do intend to keep my eyes out for another pair someday...

...I have spoken with Andy Payor about keeping the new Beryllium tweeter but going back to passive to drop the 2nd amp, speaker cables and crossover (for now). It is possible to do. Not as much of the 'statement speaker' he has now designed...but I think a LOT more practical in cost and set up terms (even if the active crossover is a huge benefit in ensuring setup works better in different rooms). The cost, weight, cables, floorspace etc...is a lot of commitment to make.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I love them Arrakis!

Reactions: amadeus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing