Gryphon Mephisto Stereo

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree! Need to get the right time, place...and price!

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
Hi, just last week, I bought a Mephisto stereo amp replacing my Pass XA100.8. Due to the size and weight of the Mephisto, I am placing directly on the concrete floor without any platform or rack. What is the recommended placement for the Mephisto to achieve improvement in sound? Thanks.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi, just last week, I bought a Mephisto stereo amp replacing my Pass XA100.8. Due to the size and weight of the Mephisto, I am placing directly on the concrete floor without any platform or rack. What is the recommended placement for the Mephisto to achieve improvement in sound? Thanks.

You should get a Stacore Basic+ platform, Jarek could make custom size for your Mephisto.
Congratulations on your Mephisto purchase.

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
You should get a Stacore Basic+ platform, Jarek could make custom size for your Mephisto.
Congratulations on your Mephisto purchase.
Thank you for your recommendation. But being located in Singapore, it will be a problem as there is no dealer here and there is no way to audition. What about HRS, Critical Mass Systems or Finite Elemente?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thank you for your recommendation. But being located in Singapore, it will be a problem as there is no dealer here and there is no way to audition. What about HRS, Critical Mass Systems or Finite Elemente?

You can order from Stacore directly they ship worldwide.
HRS is another very good option.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree...though with HRS you are going to need a special custom footer to take the weight...unless perhaps the latest M3X shelf replacements come with footers that can take this kind of weight.

On the other hand, i use Stillpoints Ultra 6s with their own bases. I have no complaints, and they easily take the weight. I use Stillpoints Ultras with HRS products on ALL of my other components...except speakers (incl Sub which is well over 310 lbs incl the mass damping on top) and the Gryphon whose incredible makes that not feasible...but equally i do not hear the 'hardening' with them that i hear with the source/preamp/power conditioner components where the HRS/Ultra combo works perfectly [for me].

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore

May I check if you have decided on which amp stand you are getting? Currently my accuphase A75 is on floor without any amp stand

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
Thanks and good to know Stacore can ship overseas. Will do more research on this.

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
Agree...though with HRS you are going to need a special custom footer to take the weight...unless perhaps the latest M3X shelf replacements come with footers that can take this kind of weight.

On the other hand, i use Stillpoints Ultra 6s with their own bases. I have no complaints, and they easily take the weight. I use Stillpoints Ultras with HRS products on ALL of my other components...except speakers (incl Sub which is well over 310 lbs incl the mass damping on top) and the Gryphon whose incredible makes that not feasible...but equally i do not hear the 'hardening' with them that i hear with the source/preamp/power conditioner components where the HRS/Ultra combo works perfectly [for me].
How do you use Stillpoints under the Mephisto? I checked the under chassis of the Mephisto and noticed there are many bolts/nuts. It will be difficult to rest the bottom chassis of the Mephisto on the Stillpoints Ultra.

Annapurna

Mar 19, 2018
May I check if you have decided on which amp stand you are getting? Currently my accuphase A75 is on floor without any amp stand
No, have not decided yet. A few audiophile friends in Singapore have also recommended some platform. A friend using Vitus is using Critical Mass Maxxum and the results have been positive for him. Another friend also using Vitus recommended SRA. He is using the SRA Virginia Class Reference. However, the Virginia Class is very expensive and long waiting time. He suggested I consider the Ohio Class XL+2.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How do you use Stillpoints under the Mephisto? I checked the under chassis of the Mephisto and noticed there are many bolts/nuts. It will be difficult to rest the bottom chassis of the Mephisto on the Stillpoints Ultra.
I actually put the Mephisto feet onto the Stillpoints Ultra 6s. In addition to working well, it also allows more air circulation underneath. It probably does not need it, but it runs hot so perhaps not a bad thing either.

magichifi

Aug 21, 2016
Sheffield
I have seriously considered the Mephisto's with the Audio Research REF40 in the past. However their low input impedance - 20 kohms, 10 kohm in the monoblocks - is not the best for the ARC preamplfiers. Either the GAT or the 7.5mk3 would theoretically be a more compatible tube preamplfier.
Hi I use an ARC ref 40 with a Mephesto and the sound is simply amazing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi I use an ARC ref 40 with a Mephesto and the sound is simply amazing.

Fantastic, Magichifi! We use the CJ GAT 2 with the Mephisto. What is the rest of your system? Also, have you experimented with different power cables with the Mephisto?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic, Magichifi! We use the CJ GAT 2 with the Mephisto. What is the rest of your system? Also, have you experimented with different power cables with the Mephisto?
Just found it...very nice! For those who are interested, from Magichifi's profile:

ARC ref 40 pre ref 2 phono benz lps jon palmer 2.5 sme 5 wadias7i
apogee scintilla gryphon mephisto nordost valhalla full balanced power supply

magichifi

Aug 21, 2016
Sheffield
No not really tried any power cables I'm using Atlas ones at the moment not sure of the model, the rest of my system is, Jon Palmer 2.5 turntable with SME5 arm Benz LPS or Koesto Onyx, ARC ref 2 phono, Wadia S7i Schiit Yggy dac Apogee Scintillas all strung together with Nordost Valhalla but I also ave Townshend Fractal speaker cables. Looking for a CD transport if you have any suggestions trying a CEC TL2N as son as the dealer has a demo in stock

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No not really tried any power cables I'm using Atlas ones at the moment not sure of the model, the rest of my system is, Jon Palmer 2.5 turntable with SME5 arm Benz LPS or Koesto Onyx, ARC ref 2 phono, Wadia S7i Schiit Yggy dac Apogee Scintillas all strung together with Nordost Valhalla but I also ave Townshend Fractal speaker cables. Looking for a CD transport if you have any suggestions trying a CEC TL2N as son as the dealer has a demo in stock
Great system. On transports, personally, I really like the Metronome Kalista Ref Transparent (the one that rolls on steel balls and has a 3' thick clear acrylic-type base.) Never heard CEC. I cannot say how good the Zanden Transport is with other DACs, though I know a few people who found it excellent (though even they felt it worked much better with its matching Zanden DAC via the i2s connection). I have to think the CEC is a serious contender in the SOTA world.

magichifi

Aug 21, 2016
Sheffield
Great system. On transports, personally, I really like the Metronome Kalista Ref Transparent (the one that rolls on steel balls and has a 3' thick clear acrylic-type base.) Never heard CEC. I cannot say how good the Zanden Transport is with other DACs, though I know a few people who found it excellent (though even they felt it worked much better with its matching Zanden DAC via the i2s connection). I have to think the CEC is a serious contender in the SOTA world.
Thanks for the info, I'll let you know which transport I finish up with.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing