H J s system !

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
As ETON gmbh is sold with an unclear future unfortunately i had to redesign .
It will be a design with top of the line scan speak units incl the elipticor midrange with eliptical voice coil
Scan speak has designed a new woofer model with a papersandwhich membrane and a patented foam .
See how that works , its the next best thing to Eton and it should be stiff enough with good dampening , specs are very promising

Further more it will be 2 designs a XPE 3 and a XPE 3 S ( S version with elipticor midrange , ringradiator) 3 stands for 3 way .

Efficiency for both models is 92,5 db .
Flat freq response aim is 3 db downslope , same as the XPE model but ....

The model XPE 3 midrange now has a foam surround so it will not have the usual rubber surround phase anomalies between 1-2 khz , no 2-3 db suck out , this model will be more neutral , the aim is + - 2 db over the whole range 1/6 octave smoothed , the aim is to make a more refined design but Full range in a small package .
Housing (no wood or MDF off course) but a phenolic resin composite as usual HPL

Both are Fullrange small floorstanders , think Wilson watt puppy / sasha size but equipped with the latest 32 cm woofer which should plunge the depth .
20 hz minus 2 or 3 db .( in room )
Front firing woofers plus a form follows function design with a internal midrange speaker cabinet without any parallel walls as to prevent as much as possible that the internal soundwaves interfere with the membrane movement

Further more its completely my fault that the XPE model has had no real exposure as of yet .
They are hard to transport and i have never invited a reviewer ( for example dutch magazine) over or placed an ad .
The new model will be much easier to transport / ship and will be actually marketed / send for review etc .
The basic XPE model remains as is , it will just be updated with latest driver designs.

I thought about designing a ( horn )small 2,5 way speaker but once you have tasted the large woofer sound , there is no going back .
And as you all know im not a subwoofer fan

Attachments

• 20220304_073151.jpg
    20220304_073151.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Elipticor mid range with removable decor ring .
This has the eliptical voice coil, 20220306_103803.jpg whether it actually improves the transient response has to be seen / heard

20220306_103855.jpg 20220306_103757.jpg

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That looks very similar to the Sonus Faber Stradivari Tweeter...is it similar?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
That looks very similar to the Sonus Faber Stradivari Tweeter...is it similar?
Yes its also the scan speak textile 1 inch ringradiator , but off course the latest/ current version of that particular design .
Same as the magico mini and V3 had .
Ringradiators have slightly less moving mass versus the full softdome version 0,3 versus 0,4 grams
But the moving surface area is also less .
Ringradiators have also the extra stability in the middle because they are connected to the alumiunium waveguide .

Ps mine can also be equipped later with the scanspeak Berylium tweeter on request .
But its not my thing .
In my view they draw slight attention to themselves which is annoying in the long run

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very nice! I remember that tweeter well.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I Just made a down payment on a CAT JL 5 Amourphous core transformer / Black path edition .
I traded in my CAT JL 2 sign mk 2
Should be arriving in may somewhere .

Besides new speakers from Volkern /HPL , i m also designing equipment isolation stands for this new amp and my pre amp , tapedecks and digital .
Also made from Volkern / HPL with added isolation feet

Pics taken from Hifi-Advice
1650105115558.png

1650118466097.png

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! How does it sound?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Thanks.

I have only listened yesterday evening a couple of hours
Today im outside in the sun .

Really good .
I think ken has designed a home run with this package .
Nice switch of lights on start up green during play means you re fine.
Auto bias
No transformer hum to speak of/ silent through the speakers at the tweeters
Only 4 powertubes p / ch so not a real costly replacement.
40 kg so more easy to move

SOUND.

Id say more transparent more refined while still having the
cat dynamics / tube humanness to the sound.
Bass is different .
More balanced less annoying on some CD s.
It puzzles me a bit actually because how can 2 Cat power amps with basically the same Fr specs have a slightly different balance .
The new ref pre for example also sounds slightly leaner through the same speakers

More to come

Last edited:
Reactions: ashandger

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very very interesting, particularly your last comments/queries. For me, I have found that I seek basic fundamentals, harmonics, dynamic range, unlimited power, etc...but inevitably, to get it from 'great' to 'magic'...usually takes some fine tuning adjustments to the overall system...where 'magic' is defined almost invariably as a personal choice.

So in the cases of 'slightly leaner' I am sure it is super subtle by any form of technical measurement...but your ear is hearing it, and so it comes down to whether you decide it is 'correct' or 'preferable' or whether as you settle the system, you wish to 'finetune' with placement, room treatment,, etc that you already have to get that bid of fullness back or not.

Will be interesting to hear how it settles in as well if this has only just entered your system in the last day or so. Enjoy!

Reactions: andromedaaudio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
My pre amp is the latest design spec afaik with the black gate caps .
But this is the main culprit as to why the balance is changed .
I have to completely reposition the speakers to make it kinda acceptable .
Further away and front firing tw.
Otherwise there is to much high freq reaching the ear .
Strange but it sounds more agile /leaner.
I think it needs time to try to make it sound more converging.
Also this ml dac needs several hours on the juice otherwise it sounds harsh / crap.

Long live tape

Attachments

• 20220515_205115.jpg
    20220515_205115.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220515_205108.jpg
    20220515_205108.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Actually i just found out andromeda audio made a gigantic mistake .
After coming home from work today i discovered i connected the 4 - 8 ohm connectors to the speaker input + - , it was late when i got home saturday
But actually the output furthest away is not the 8 ohm connection like i thought but the - minus .
Its a wonder nothing broke , but that could well explain the balance issue.
I m now running the 8 ohm output as it should be .

@ The chassis markings are kinda small , easy to overlook , never the less a stupid mistake .

Ps after listening for 5 min i think it sounds already a lot better .
Luckily , because i was already wondering CAT let me down

Last edited:
Reactions: ICUToo

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
CAT is back .
This was the whole problem .
I have it on the 8 ohm tap and the bass is very good , but id say ever so slightly loose .
I ll keep it like this for a couple of weeks and then change to the 4 ohm tap .
Listening to some house music and it sounds awesome to my ears .
All is want is a trapezium shaped listening room so the reflections bounce over and around you , giving a total sound emersion.

.... Plus a nice SONY 4 K projector for Movies

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing