"High End" Speakers you have owned

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
Not soooo many during the last 30 years.....

Ohm F
Apogee Caliper
Thiel CS2
Intonation Terzian
Hedlund Horn
Magnepan 3.6SE

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
AR 9
Miller & Kreisel with 2 sub
IMF RSPM iv
Quad 57 and 63
Acoustat 2+2
Apogee Diva
Tympany IV A
Soundlab A1 + B1
Yamamura 3 way
Audiotekne 9412 3 way with Ale
Audiotekne 8716 CB with sub Krell Master Reference and super tweeter Yamamura
EV Sntry III
Quad Corner Ribbon
Montagna Spark 03 CB

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Not soooo many during the last 30 years.....

Ohm F
Apogee Caliper
Thiel CS2
Intonation Terzian
Hedlund Horn
Magnepan 3.6SE

Not so many here either (all monitors):

Ensemble Reference
Reference 3A MM De Capo BE
Reference 3A Reflector

I had an upgrade hiatus of 21 years, that's why. On the other hand I don't see what would ever replace my current outstanding Reflector monitors (plus JL Audio F112v2 subs). Yes, I hear great floor standers in my friends' systems.

O.k., before all of that I had a Stax headphone system, so make that four 'speakers'.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Martin Logan CLS with Vandersteen subs.
ML Request
ML Statement E2
JM Labs Mini Utopia
Sonus Faber Cremona Monitors
MBL 101E with ML Statement E2 sub towers.
The Statements and Requests are gone, the rest is still in use.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
My list:

Cones:
Wilson Audio Cube, Watt Puppy 3.1, 5.1, 6, Maxx3
Avalon Eidolon
von Schweickert VR6
Eggleston Savoy
Ensemble Primadonna, Reference
YG Anat II Reference Professional
Triangle Magellan
QLN Reference
Genesis V, 500, 501, APM
Sonus Faber Extreme
Dali Reference 40
Audio Physic Caldera
I.Q. System TW 500 SSC
Backes & Müller BM35

Planars:
Martin Logan CLS, CLS2, CLS Z, Quest, Sequel, Monolyth III
Genesis 300, 350se
Infinity Beta
Audiostatic 300SL
Magnepan 3.6

Horns:
Jadis Eurythmie
BD Design Reference
Hedlund
Beauhorn Virtuoso
RD Acoustic Evolution, Euphoria
hORNS FP 12
hORNS Universum III
hORNS Opera Beryllium

more to come :)

Reactions: sujay

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
AR 9
Miller & Kreisel with 2 sub
IMF RSPM iv
Quad 57 and 63
Acoustat 2+2
Apogee Diva
Tympany IV A
Soundlab A1 + B1
Yamamura 3 way
Audiotekne 9412 3 way with Ale
Audiotekne 8716 CB with sub Krell Master Reference and super tweeter Yamamura
EV Sntry III
Quad Corner Ribbon
Montagna Spark 03 CB
Hi Gian60,

What did you think of the Krell Master Reference Sub? I have only spoken with a few people about it...most of the comments were super...but 1 thought it was AWFUL (an owner of the Apogee Grands where the Krell Master Ref Sub was incorporated into the speaker design.)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Gian60,

What did you think of the Krell Master Reference Sub? I have only spoken with a few people about it...most of the comments were super...but 1 thought it was AWFUL (an owner of the Apogee Grands where the Krell Master Ref Sub was incorporated into the speaker design.)

Fantatstic subs when paired with the LAT1000 speakers. I listened to such system several times in a large room - when the subs were switched on the easiness and space increased significantly. I still have a pair of the large speaker units I got from Germany many years ago - they are extremely heavy and each 15 inch speaker incorporates an accelerometer. The cones were reported to be able of tree-inch front-to-back excursion. A never carried sub project, meanwhile I sold the LAT1000's ... a1.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
since 1994 when i re-awakened my serious audiophile/hifi urges after the kids left home, ive had a few high end speakers;

in dedicated 18' x 12' x 10.5' den in previous home.

(94')Wilson Watt Puppy 3/2
(96') WP 5.1
(98') WP 6.0
(2001) Kharma Exquisite Reference 1D

(2004) moved to new home with 29' x 21' x 11' purpose built dedicated room in the barn;

Kharma Exquisite Reference 1D (continued)
(2005) Von Schweikert VR9SE (VR7SE temporary loan) (actually ordered VR11SE's but they were never built--i did not cancel)
(2006) Evolution Acoustics MM3
added pair of JL Fathom f113's + pair of Marten Dukes (rear channel) with short lived 18 month multi-channel period.
(2012) Evolution Acoustics MM7's

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Krell Master Reference is the best and deep bass i listen in my life.
I had Ongaku and AudioTekne amp so i couldn't use and try his big power but was fast and very deep
You can choose to use between 40 to 100 hz,gain,can you use 3 filter,and cut from 12 to 48 db

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I can tell one thing,that Wilson did the original WAMM copying my system i had before he did WAMM
i had IMF RSPM IV monitor with very good bass made by the driver KEF B 139 and WAMM used 2 of this
I put for mid high 9 electrostatic cell RTR and a ribbon super tweeter Accent from Germany
I used a sub M&K

WAMM used 15 electrostatic cell Janszen for mid high
On the right Magnepan mg 2 only for mid high,another trial

I am joking but its true i did before Wilson did WAMM

Attachments

• IMG_5434.jpg
    IMG_5434.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5435.jpg
    IMG_5435.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 9

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The extra heavy woofers of the Krell Master Reference. The cones are really stiff. On the left we can see the accelerometer connections. The other specimen is still mounted in in an experimental box I assembled to measure the Thiele/Small parameters. I used the box mainly as a sub for home theater.

Perhaps it is the proper time to look for a new owner ...

P1020109.JPG k2.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Krell Master Reference is the best and deep bass i listen in my life.
I had Ongaku and AudioTekne amp so i couldn't use and try his big power but was fast and very deep
You can choose to use between 40 to 100 hz,gain,can you use 3 filter,and cut from 12 to 48 db
Amazing! Would love to hear...though they are so old today, i would be concerned about the built-in amp getting burned out or needing significant repairs.

Reactions: microstrip

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The extra heavy woofers of the Krell Master Reference. The cones are really stiff. On the left we can see the accelerometer connections. The other specimen is still mounted in in an experimental box I assembled to measure the Thiele/Small parameters. I used the box mainly as a sub for home theater.

Perhaps it is the proper time to look for a new owner ...

View attachment 47162 View attachment 47164
Very cool!!! Of course, you could find a Krell Master Ref and put in the new parts! Probably a very good pairing with your XLFs...yes, it will take time to dial-in...but i can only imagine the tremendous potential you have! !!!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Amazing! Would love to hear...though they are so old today, i would be concerned about the built-in amp getting burned out or needing significant repairs.

The built in amplifier was an FBP700 equivalent!

Very cool!!! Of course, you could find a Krell Master Ref and put in the new parts! Probably a very good pairing with your XLFs...yes, it will take time to dial-in...but i can only imagine the tremendous potential you have! !!!

I am now dreaming about Wilson sub's ... The reality is the JLAudio JL113 mk2!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The built in amplifier was an FBP700 equivalent!

I am now dreaming about Wilson sub's ... The reality is the JLAudio JL113 mk2!
Yes, because the FPB used to burn hot, i would be concerned after 20 years of what might be required...perhaps just a good re-capping?

In any event, 20 years is a long time...and Wilson Subs are surely a great dream to have! So is the Gotham...i have also heard good things about the Paradigm Sub 2. I considered both Gotham and Sub2...but in the end for cost, size and a great dealer who did a great setup...i went with the big Velodyne DD18+. I have no regrets, but i do know that Wilson's big subs are an entirely different beast! Do let us know if you go that route! That would be truly awesome.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I can tell one thing,that Wilson did the original WAMM copying my system i had before he did WAMM
i had IMF RSPM IV monitor with very good bass made by the driver KEF B 139 and WAMM used 2 of this
I put for mid high 9 electrostatic cell RTR and a ribbon super tweeter Accent from Germany
I used a sub M&K

WAMM used 15 electrostatic cell Janszen for mid high
On the right Magnepan mg 2 only for mid high,another trial

I am joking but its true i did before Wilson did WAMM

You were ahead of your time! and a brilliant designer apparently! ;) I have enjoyed reading all of your posts about the magnificent systems you have owned, own and are currently enjoying. Great reading! Please continue to write!

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
Magnaplaner 1d's, Soundlab A2X, Vandersteen 5a's, Von Schweizer VR8's, Consensus Audio Conspiracy's, Legatto's, Evolution Acoustics MM3's with Acapella Arts Ion tweeters( current). Loved every one of them!

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, because the FPB used to burn hot, i would be concerned after 20 years of what might be required...perhaps just a good re-capping?

In any event, 20 years is a long time...and Wilson Subs are surely a great dream to have! So is the Gotham...i have also heard good things about the Paradigm Sub 2. I considered both Gotham and Sub2...but in the end for cost, size and a great dealer who did a great setup...i went with the big Velodyne DD18+. I have no regrets, but i do know that Wilson's big subs are an entirely different beast! Do let us know if you go that route! That would be truly awesome.

Full recapping is the way to go on these vintage Krells.

The Wilson sub's are great - I have used one with the Watt/Puppy's system 7 . But could not resist trying it with other speakers!

a1.jpg

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Anybody own Usher BE-20 DMD's? I think i'm going to try a pair as I have a room that does this magic trick where it makes all the bass disappear! If the big Ushers can't deliver then i'll sell everything and buy some good headphones.

Reactions: Lagonda

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Anybody own Usher BE-20 DMD's? I think i'm going to try a pair as I have a room that does this magic trick where it makes all the bass disappear! If the big Ushers can't deliver then i'll sell everything and buy some good headphones.

And there's always subwoofers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing