I Guess It's About Time

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
Hi all,

I've been around for about a week so I guess I better introduce myself.

Name obviously is Rick. Age is nearly 70. Time flies when you're having fun.

I had an interest in electronics and technology from an early age. Studied electronics in college and got my first job doing QC and repair for the Southern California distributor for Sherwood. Later I would work for Ed Miller, and Morris Kessler at SAE. While I was there, Jim Bongiorno joined the company.

I spent nearly seven years at Soundcraftsmen, makers of equalizers, preamps, and amplifiers. Mainly in technical and supervisory positions. When the American audio industry started going off shore I transitioned into QA and QC engineering and managerial positions within the Southern California electronics industry, but I never lost my love for communications and audio.

I've never been able to concentrate on one hobby. Classic cars, photography, fly fishing, knife collecting and vintage watch collecting, and amateur radio have all garnered my attention at one time or another. I can only imagine what I might have accomplished had I concentrated all my efforts and disposable income on just one hobby.

Current system is modest, consisting of a Schiit Audio Freya preamp fed by a Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit DAC. Amplifiers are Parasound solid state, and PrimaLuna tube amps. Primary speakers are KEF LS50S, and Wharfedale 10.1s. My listening room is 10 x 12 so bookshelf speakers make sense until I can arrange for a larger listening room.

That's about it. Glad to be here. I'm sure I'll learn plenty.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Welcome Rick, I hear you loud and clear when it comes to multiple hobbies / passions, all good though ! Like you I still enjoy physical media

Reactions: Mr Rickz

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome, Rick!

Do you still operate an amateur radio station?

Ron
W2DXX

Reactions: Mr Rickz

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
Welcome, Rick!

Do you still operate an amateur radio station?

Ron
W2DXX

Yes Ron, when I'm at my off grid cabin in Montana. I'm a snow bird and don't operate here in So Cal.

Rick
N7NKN

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing