I said I would never buy another Turntable...Argh !!!

I'm on it Ron, but as I said, the physics of running long RCAs is not favourable.
If I can get unbalanced interconnects for my Straingauge "phono" over these lengths, I'll really consider relocating tt.

Just putting it on top of one of the Stacore platforms will resolve any issues :cool:

XV, that's happening.
It's just that my tt will in effect be 5" off the floor, 3' from each Zu down firing sub.
This will be a REAL challenge for the Stacore.
If it can truly isolate my tt from sub frequencies coming up from the flr, it'll be worth its weight in gold.

So, we're talking about a motor that could be described as high torque, but the belt JUST has enough tension to get the platter going, variable tension to be tuned by ear, and the platter due to its supreme wt, takes 90s to get up to speed?
Wow!

So, we're talking about a motor that could be described as high torque, but the belt JUST has enough tension to get the platter going, variable tension to be tuned by ear, and the platter due to its supreme wt, takes 90s to get up to speed?
Wow!

are you trying to make some sort of point ?

Sure Christian.
Fairly self evident.
In case it's not clear, I've never heard of a high torque drive system taking 90s to get an lp up to speed.
Not a criticism Christian, I'm just taken back a bit that high torque on a frictionless air bearing needs so much time.
Obv a factor of a platter pretty much 2-3x as heavy as most other competing heroic tt systems.
I guess that's the point I'm making.

That's how high mass inertia driven turntables are supposed to be setup so the drive has the least amount influence on the platter, it takes very little to get the AS going, just a touch and you easily can set it up so it reaches speed in 10-15 seconds but you're missing the point of this type of design going back years.

david

Sure Christian.
Fairly self evident.
In case it's not clear, I've never heard of a high torque drive system taking 90s to get an lp up to speed.
Not a criticism Christian, I'm just taken back a bit that high torque on a frictionless air bearing needs so much time.
Obv a factor of a platter pretty much 2-3x as heavy as most other competing heroic tt systems.

Sure Christian.
Fairly self evident.

yes...If it is 90 seconds...so be it. I think a mat that is non abrasive would allow one to keep it spinning the entire time during the listening session changing out and flipping LP's while it spinning at terminal velocity for 33, 45, 78 lp's.

Sometime my pre play routine vinyl rituals alone takes longer than 90 secs. :D

Kind regards,
Tang

I think there is a misconception about the start time issue.

it's only at the beginning of the session that start time is any concern. once the first record is cued the platter is left spinning until the session conclusion. you are changing sides and pressings leaving the platter spinning.

and it's such a simple adjustment to listening culture to just start the platter first thing instead of other things. right now i'm turning on the tt light, firing up the Herzan, switching inputs, all of which take a few seconds each. I can just turn the platter on first thing with the AE.

with the Rockport I had to turn the compressor on and off every 2 hours to expel any moisture from the compressor evaporator.

every tt has quirks. the question is how much it makes you smile and want to play more tunes.

listening with David it was such a minor concern on the AE I did not even notice it. and with the massive degree of inertia and floating platter there is no strain on anything. which is the whole enchilada right there.

much ado about (almost) nothing.

Who is in a rush anyway? It is LP for God's sake. If you want fast get a streamer! :)

I have no problem stopping the platter to put on a new LP. Who wants to have to hit a moving target when one is trying to relax?

yes...If it is 90 seconds...so be it. I think a mat that is non abrasive would allow one to keep it spinning the entire time during the listening session changing out and flipping LP's while it spinning at terminal velocity for 33, 45, 78 lp's.

Assuming you don't use a record clamp. I guess a weight would be fine, or nothing at all. Does David have a preference? I know that Mike likes his Durand weight.

Assuming you don't use a record clamp. I guess a weight would be fine, or nothing at all. Does David have a preference? I know that Mike likes his Durand weight.

AS also stands for all steel and naturally AS has it's own stainless weight :)!

L_001649-Test.jpg

david

there is an AS Record Weight that does come with the AS-2000, and that is what David uses without stopping the platter.

at this point I would assume that is what I would use too. the Durand works fine on a moving platter on and off too. so I would end up comparing the two. one thing for sure; that platter won't care a whit about the weight of the Record Weight.

There is a difference between a clamp (screwed down before spinning) and a weight (which I occasionally use on the AF1 and all the time on the CA MI). Weight can be removed or put on while spinning w/o much effort.

There is a difference between a clamp (screwed down before spinning) and a weight (which I occasionally use on the AF1 and all the time on the CA MI). Weight can be removed or put on while spinning w/o much effort.

Yes, I assume that a clamp is either screwed down or clamps down with a hinge and lever. A weight can just be lifted off and placed back while the platter is spinning. I now see the steel weight that David uses in the photo. Thanks.

David, do you use a washer under the LP to raise the center? This works very well with the SME screw down clamp which has a concave bottom really flattening warped records. If the steel weight has a flat bottom surface, I don't think a washer would be of any benefit. I also like the idea of a clamp because one can experiment with the pressure/tension for different thickness LPs. In fact, with some records, too much pressure actually raises the outer edge of an LP off the platter. One must apply the right amount for best record to platter contact.

Last edited:
Yes, I assume that a clamp is either screwed down or clamps down with a hinge and lever. A weight can just be lifted off and placed back while the platter is spinning. I now see the steel weight that David uses in the photo. Thanks.

David, do you use a washer under the LP to raise the center? This works very well with the SME screw down clamp which has a concave bottom really flattening warped records. If the steel weight has a flat bottom surface, I don't think a washer would be of any benefit. I also like the idea of a clamp because one can experiment with the pressure/tension for different thickness LPs. In fact, with some records, too much pressure actually raises the outer edge of an LP off the platter. One must apply the right amount for best record to platter contact.

It's flat bottom, drop & or while play. The Thorens & Grarrard Refs both have clamps, don't use them and a medium mass AT weight sounds just as good as either one of them.

david

Last edited:
Congratulation to David first for his big experience and AS
And then to others that can buy it
Enjoy that life is only one

Sorry go have misconstrued, AS gets up to speed, and you swap records on and off never interrupting/powering down the tt?
There are some belt drives where one does indeed have to keep stopping and starting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu