KL Audio Record Cleaning Machine vs Audio Desk Systeme

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
My Nitty Gritty is in the same room, hence the no music......If I do a cleaning session then I might have some flac files playing, but no vinyl.

When I had my Nitty Gritty I bought industrial ear muffs and put them on when using :D

My Hannl does not really clean any better, however so much quieter - I have able to retire the ear muffs:)

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
I too have a Klaudio, and am delighted. Previously I had a Nitty Gritty, which was replaced about 5 years ago with a VPI 16.5. One of the wonderful things about the Klaudio is that I keep it in an room adjacent to the listening room, can place the next LP in it, close the door, and go enjoy music while it's being cleaned! Additionally, when it's done there is NO STATIC CHARGE!! Major! It is also miles ahead of the VPI- my LPs never sounded better!

I use a larger funnel than the one supplied, which has eliminated that issue. No problems.

Last edited:

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
I am very happy with my unit as well. It costs quite a bit to start in comparison to standard vacuum unit but in the long run, maintenance cost is the lowest. I have Clearaudio Matrix machine and I spend hundreds of dollars on various cleaning fluid every year and never achieve the cleaning result that I did with KL. Considering
the amount of time, effort and convenience, if the KL does not have any maintenance issue, I think it is well worth the cost and is a better buy than conventional
cleaning machine.

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
Gosh I am enjoying my AD - it makes playing records so much more fun...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Amado

Got mine today

Wow, KL really works !!!
Is like taking the seal of new vinyl

congrats ... This machine rocks

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Any other $4K ultrasonic cleaners on the horizon? Just a couple of years after I get my Audio Desk Systeme, comes the KL. My VPI 16 and its successors lasted more than 25 years. I've cleaned over 6000 records on my AD. Not looking forward to doing them all again.

Has anyone done the old vacuum cleaner trick. Start with cleaner A and then do cleaner B. After B, the record will be cleaner. However, if you start with cleaner B and then do cleaner A, then after A the record will be cleaner. Or if you start with cleaner A and then do cleaner A again, the record will be cleaner. Or is the KL different? One cleaning and the record is perfectly clean and can't get audibly cleaner?

Larry

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
My take on it is the KLA is a better mousetrap - maybe. Either way the AD still works fine as a mousetrap..

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Another observation of the KL versus ADS...the KL only requires 2.5 liters of water versus almost 4 liters for the ADS. I am very happy with this machine and don't miss the ADS which is vacationing in Germany to repair dead ultrasonic transducers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Another observation of the KL versus ADS...the KL only requires 2.5 liters of water versus almost 4 liters for the ADS. (...)

Christian,
Unless you are cleaning LPs in the Sahara I do not think it is very relevant ... ;) Living in Europe my preference went for the ADS - and happily my cleaner has being working faultless for a few months.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian,
Unless you are cleaning LPs in the Sahara I do not think it is very relevant ... ;) Living in Europe my preference went for the ADS - and happily my cleaner has being working faultless for a few months.

I guess my point was that water must be added slowly to the KL using a small funnel. So you have to be patient filling it. Only having to add 2.5 litres of water in this case is a good thing. If it took as much water as the ADS, it would take twice as long. Since you are in Europe, future repairs on your ADS (almost a guarantee IME) are much faster since Germany is near by. My ADS will take 2 months for service.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Another observation of the KL versus ADS...the KL only requires 2.5 liters of water versus almost 4 liters for the ADS. I am very happy with this machine and don't miss the ADS which is vacationing in Germany to repair dead ultrasonic transducers.

You have really had bad luck with the ADS, you've sent it back a couple of times, haven't you? I sometimes have to give the record a nudge to get it turning but that has been my only problem (knock on wood) in a year +.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
You have really had bad luck with the ADS, you've sent it back a couple of times, haven't you? I sometimes have to give the record a nudge to get it turning but that has been my only problem (knock on wood) in a year +.

Yes two times. I love the KL smooth operation. Drop the toast in and that's it. The roller system for spinning the record is superior to the ADS squeaky wheel implementation that also requires a nudge to engage.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I guess my point was that water must be added slowly to the KL using a small funnel. So you have to be patient filling it. Only having to add 2.5 litres of water in this case is a good thing. If it took as much water as the ADS, it would take twice as long. Since you are in Europe, future repairs on your ADS (almost a guarantee IME) are much faster since Germany is near by. My ADS will take 2 months for service.

The ultrasonics on my ADS died this week. I was talking to a friend, he has a ADS and had a problem but he sent his to Ultra Systems in New Hope, Pennsylvania for repair. He said they are the importer for ADS, not sure on this. Ultra Systems repaired the unit, put new cleaner barrels on it and sent it back in a week. http://www.ultrasystem.com

My dealer is taking my ADS in trade and getting me a KL.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That's not a problem, it's how they're designed.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The ultrasonics on my ADS died this week. I was talking to a friend, he has a ADS and had a problem but he sent his to Ultra Systems in New Hope, Pennsylvania for repair. He said they are the importer for ADS, not sure on this. Ultra Systems repaired the unit, put new cleaner barrels on it and sent it back in a week. http://www.ultrasystem.com

My dealer is taking my ADS in trade and getting me a KL.

according to ADS, my unit was the first one with ultrasonic transducer failure. I do find that hard to believe now. If your utrasonics are dead, it has to go back to Germany. Ultra Systems is not equipped to make that sort of repair. It's a two month process to get it back. Ultra Systems did offer me a loaner unit, which is a nice service. I declined it as I wouldn't use it any way when I have the KL hanging around. I plan to sell my ADS once it is back. The warranty will expire this coming August.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing