Koetsu

Gadzooks!

Nov 29, 2020
Saw this posted the other day in another Koetsu users group. New model is called the Leopard Platinum. Very beautiful.

View attachment 106833
I was recently at Prostar Audio in Fort Lauderdale, FL where I heard the Koetsu Leopard mounted to a Kuzma 4Point 11" on a dual wing Kuzma Stabi R with two 4Point 11" tonearms running through various phono stages (Pass Labs XP-27, Zesto Tessara and Sutherland TX-Direct). I was able to compare the Leopard to one of my favorite cartridges: My Sonic Labs (Platinum) as well as the ever so nicely balanced and musically dynamic Dynavector (XV-1s). Performance wise, the MSL Platinum sits in between the musicality of the Leopard and the dynamics of the XV-1s So, a choice among those pickups would be based upon a personal preference and system synergy. The Leopard is a truly fantastic pickup. I understand that this was one of the first Leopards that has been released in the US. I would have sent this post earlier but I am still waiting see when the Leopard is included on the Koetsu website.

Reactions: Johan K and jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was recently at Prostar Audio in Fort Lauderdale, FL where I heard the Koetsu Leopard mounted to a Kuzma 4Point 11" on a dual wing Kuzma Stabi R with two 4Point 11" tonearms running through various phono stages (Pass Labs XP-27, Zesto Tessara and Sutherland TX-Direct). I was able to compare the Leopard to one of my favorite cartridges: My Sonic Labs (Platinum) as well as the ever so nicely balanced and musically dynamic Dynavector (XV-1s). Performance wise, the MSL Platinum sits in between the musicality of the Leopard and the dynamics of the XV-1s So, a choice among those pickups would be based upon a personal preference and system synergy. The Leopard is a truly fantastic pickup. I understand that this was one of the first Leopards that has been released in the US. I would have sent this post earlier but I am still waiting see when the Leopard is included on the Koetsu website.
I just went into the Koetsu site (Mofi Distribution) and it is still the old set of cartridge lineup. Stating that the Jade and the Coralstone have been discontinued. I've never seen models like the Jasper and Moss Agate there, or in any of the dealers. Now I wonder if the Leopard will be put up there, with the SRP.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Blue Lace arrived today. Just started playing. Linn arm and table. Heavenly.

20230505_214017.jpg 20230505_213941.jpg

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Beautiful! Congrats and you deserve it! It's the one cartridge I've had that sounded jaw-dropping right from hour #1 and has never backed off from that level (probably ~ 650 hours into mine).

There were some comments on the look of the recent Blue Lace stone and I'd mention I think most of the "brilliant" looking Blue Lace pics we see were very heavily "goosed" via contrast & saturation post-processing. It's the hardest stone to photograph accurately, because its beauty in person is in the subtle and intricately feathered gain detail - which is too low contrast to come through well even with a decent SLR, and thus doesn't translate easily to pics. To compensate, sometimes the image is "goosed" in post processing by the proud Blue Lace owner. I'm a little bit guilty of that myself! The natural color is really a very subtle milky blueish-gray. This latest Blue Lace looks like a typical Blue Lace to me; you really have to appreciate its natural beauty in person and of course the SOUND :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Beautiful! Congrats and you deserve it! It's the one cartridge I've had that sounded jaw-dropping right from hour #1 and has never backed off from that level (probably ~ 650 hours into mine).

There were some comments on the look of the recent Blue Lace stone and I'd mention I think most of the "brilliant" looking Blue Lace pics we see were very heavily "goosed" via contrast & saturation post-processing. It's the hardest stone to photograph accurately, because its beauty in person is in the subtle and intricately feathered gain detail - which is too low contrast to come through well even with a decent SLR, and thus doesn't translate easily to pics. To compensate, sometimes the image is "goosed" in post processing by the proud Blue Lace owner. I'm a little bit guilty of that myself! The natural color is really a very subtle milky blueish-gray. This latest Blue Lace looks like a typical Blue Lace to me; you really have to appreciate its natural beauty in person and of course the SOUND :)
Thanks so much, Mike!

Everything you said, I couldn't have said it myself, down to the 'milky bluish gray' description. Very accurate. Incredible improvement over my Urushi. And agree, from hour 1, it is stunning already. Bass is deeper and Soundstage is more laid back. The Koetsu sound is definitely there, and everything just sounds fine, smoother, more airy, and more seductive. I Love it!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Here's another shot.

20230505_181313.jpg

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Blue Lace arrived today. Just started playing. Linn arm and table. Heavenly.

View attachment 108920 View attachment 108921
Dear jadis,

Congratulations and welcome to the BlueLace club? :D ! It looks absolutly beautiful. Yes my BlueLace sounded great right out of the box too, but after ca 35-40 hours it became a killer in prestanda.. and after that it has remain.

Enjoy your beautiful blue stone jewel !!

All the best

/ Jk

Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dear jadis,

Congratulations and welcome to the BlueLace club? :D ! It looks absolutly beautiful. Yes my BlueLace sounded great right out of the box too, but after ca 35-40 hours it became a killer in prestanda.. and after that it has remain.

Enjoy your beautiful blue stone jewel !!

All the best

/ Jk
Thank you , Johann. I'm experiencing what Blue Lace owners are experiencing. Lovely and very refined sound. From top to bottom.

Reactions: Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Thank you , Johann. I'm experiencing what Blue Lace owners are experiencing. Lovely and very refined sound. From top to bottom.
I’m very happy for you… and remember… the best is yet to come. Happy music weekend ;) !

/ Jk

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Into 25 hours of the Blue Lace and it never ceased to amaze me, record after record. The bass quality is big leap over the Urushi, and the separation of instruments is just simply outstanding. The finesse on the top and mid range is also remarkable. It's amazing how a platinum stone body can transform the performance over it's lower priced wood brethren.

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
I thought of starting a new thread, and it's all about Koetsu products, its name, almost synonymous with mystique and magic; for many years prior to owning one, it was like an elusive dream. Then a Black fell into my lap and me, I fell for it, and even took the country dealership of it in the mid 2000s.
I am not one for spending a huge amount of time on the internet, hence have just come across this thread (despite having posted elsewhere in connection with a Koetsu Black). Just want to give the thread (and you Phil) a thumbs up! - it looks like I have a bit of reading (catching up) to do :)

Reactions: jadis and Johan K

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
I am not one for spending a huge amount of time on the internet, hence have just come across this thread (despite having posted elsewhere in connection with a Koetsu Black). Just want to give the thread (and you Phil) a thumbs up! - it looks like I have a bit of reading (catching up) to do :)
From another Krell owner then… - Welcome to WBF new2Krell. Hope you will enjoy this forum as much as I do. Great people, great knowledge and great positive attitude here.

Enjoy? ;) !

/ Jk

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Into 25 hours of the Blue Lace and it never ceased to amaze me, record after record. The bass quality is big leap over the Urushi, and the separation of instruments is just simply outstanding. The finesse on the top and mid range is also remarkable. It's amazing how a platinum stone body can transform the performance over it's lower priced wood brethren.
Hi Jadis,

Hey.. I told you?:D… I am soo happy for you man, that you enjoy your BlueLace… One thing I did notice one day from another.. after about ca 45-55 hours of playing… that the amplitude from the cartridge suddenly got stronger.. like the volyme increased by it self…
Please report to me if you endevour the same. It would be very cool to hear if happens to you too. Enjoy your beautiful Blue Stone.

Kindest Regards

/ Jk

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Welcome to this humble Koetsu thread of ours, new2Krell, and hope you not only enjoy it but also can contribute some insights. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis,

Hey.. I told you?:D… I am soo happy for you man, that you enjoy your BlueLace… One thing I did notice one day from another.. after about ca 45-55 hours of playing… that the amplitude from the cartridge suddenly got stronger.. like the volyme increased by it self…
Please report to me if you endevour the same. It would be very cool to hear if happens to you too. Enjoy your beautiful Blue Stone.

Kindest Regards

/ Jk
Thanks a lot, Johan. Most certainly I'll give my feedback on its 50th hour. All the best too to you.

• Love

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
From another Krell owner then… - Welcome to WBF new2Krell. Hope you will enjoy this forum as much as I do. Great people, great knowledge and great positive attitude here.

Enjoy? ;) !

/ Jk
Thanks Johan.
I am actually a long time owner of my particular Black (some 30 years now). It hasn't been in use for all that time for various reasons, but it remains the most satisfying cartridge I have ever owned, despite it being the lower end of the range. As a result, I have never felt the need to move up the Koetsu tree (to date) though I am presently having thoughts on how much longer this satisfaction will continue with this particular cart, and have recently been considering the purchase of another.
As mentioned in my post, I have only just started reading this thread, (there are many pages!). I will get through them all over time. I am sure there will be a lot of interesting information and experiences within. Looking forward to it! :)

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Welcome to this humble Koetsu thread of ours, new2Krell, and hope you not only enjoy it but also can contribute some insights. :)
Thank You!
Well, I have started at the beginning, it's going to take a while to catch up on everything.
The comment re your Friden visit brought a smile to my face. Not sure if you went to the same location I did those years earlier (Friden seem to have moved from Central (Golden House) to Jaffe St. Wan Chai)? The impression of the distributor was most definitely the same :) Typical of many businesses in HK though.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thank You!
Well, I have started at the beginning, it's going to take a while to catch up on everything.
The comment re your Friden visit brought a smile to my face. Not sure if you went to the same location I did those years earlier (Friden seem to have moved from Central (Golden House) to Jaffe St. Wan Chai)? The impression of the distributor was most definitely the same :) Typical of many businesses in HK though.
If I'm not mistaken, it was located in Pottinger Street just off Queen's Road Central. Even now when I close my eyes, it's like I can still see the shop.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing