Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

• Wow
Reactions: ctydwn
Regarding noise, my GG’s had a little mechanical transformer noise, but nothing to speak of at the outputs. My Pacific is dead quiet. Zero transformer noise. Very clean output. Overall it is the quietest piece of tube gear I’ve owned. I am expecting the same from the Horizon.
I've heard this from several Lampi owners of comparable DAC's. My units have been sent out for upgrades and then evaluated for noise, and they are clean in other settings.

It seems that I have a power supply issue that challenges transformers more than most. I've applied Topaz isolation transformers (balanced and not), DC offset cancelers, and regenerators (best solution so far), but I still get some noise. I just seem to have some gremlins... So, I am sensitive to noise, and am hoping to hear of the relative comparison.

I've heard this from several Lampi owners of comparable DAC's. My units have been sent out for upgrades and then evaluated for noise, and they are clean in other settings.

It seems that I have a power supply issue that challenges transformers more than most. I've applied Topaz isolation transformers (balanced and not), DC offset cancelers, and regenerators (best solution so far), but I still get some noise. I just seem to have some gremlins... So, I am sensitive to noise, and am hoping to hear of the relative comparison.
This is Lukasz: the GG in some environments did have occasional transformer problems. However the Pacific never ever had those problems, and we sold close to 200 of them. Its seems like it is an extremely bad luck with super unfriendly electrical environment, or just a bad transformer specimen. Transformers sometimes after long time of use loose some of their impregnation and they start behaving the way which was IMPOSSIBLE to catch and eliminate during the testing phase. Your DAC needs a free warranty service and I guarantee we can stop this sound. The Horizon has tripled transformer power versus the Golden Gate which makes them less stressed and less likely to misbehave.

Fwiw, i constantly move my ear close to all my components and speakers listening for any background noise or hiss. My wife really does think I’m nuts. But the Pacific, in my system at least, dead quiet. On with the main event!! Enjoy all you lucky attendees! And of course to the host&hostess and Lukasz and Fred

Reactions: christoph
Fwiw, i constantly move my ear close to all my components and speakers listening for any background noise or hiss. My wife really does think I’m nuts. But the Pacific, in my system at least, dead quiet. On with the main event!! Enjoy all you lucky attendees! And of course to the host&hostess and Lukasz and Fred
My Pacific is dead quiet as well. However the tubes ring and I have great results from Herbie's Damping rings

Reactions: marty
I'm sitting here with Lukasz and Fred and they told me the real nick name to your unit :p
So now you know:D:D:D...Rod can't wait to lay his hands on "her":)

So now you know:D:D:D...Rod can't wait to lay his hands on "her":)
Never had a DAC that I need to use protection with , Lukasz better include some

Attachments

• D141E689-94E4-4423-9648-8329F7300909.jpeg
    D141E689-94E4-4423-9648-8329F7300909.jpeg
    533.6 KB · Views: 13
Never had a DAC that I need to use protection with
No worries - despite protection it will provide you with countless hours of heavenly sensual experience ;)

This is Lukasz: the GG in some environments did have occasional transformer problems. However the Pacific never ever had those problems, and we sold close to 200 of them. Its seems like it is an extremely bad luck with super unfriendly electrical environment, or just a bad transformer specimen. Transformers sometimes after long time of use loose some of their impregnation and they start behaving the way which was IMPOSSIBLE to catch and eliminate during the testing phase. Your DAC needs a free warranty service and I guarantee we can stop this sound. The Horizon has tripled transformer power versus the Golden Gate which makes them less stressed and less likely to misbehave.
Yes, Steve, I think I have a particularly hostile feed from my power pole. All three Lampi products' transformers have sung (and their 211 amps, too), which makes me think that their favorite transformer source just might not match with my home's power situation. That said, I have used their DAC's in my main system exclusively since 2015, so it clearly isn't too bad, and I've enjoyed great music. I have queried so many Lampi owners in those years, and none of them report what I hear, so I don't think it is a Lampi problem, per se.

I have encountered similar and worse transformer ringing in other tubed gear (Cary 300B monos, EAR 890), but I have also had a number of VAC pieces and a few ARC ones that were very quiet, only faint tube rush at most. I am faced with an element of "luck of the draw" most likely.

Now I'm just eager to hear the consensus on evaluating Horizon relative to the Pacific. Is this my next upgrade?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing