Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Hm…there is no one size fits all solution…
There certainly is a solid consensus which tubes are the top contenders but out of these which will fit best in your rig requires a bit of trial and error…
So i would advise to check the related thread on the tube rolling for H and you’ll get a proper feel…

After reading a large part of this thread, I want to try out the Horizon in my system. Is there any information on how often they come up on the used market and typical prices used? I could try to audition one somewhere in Colorado, but I think it would be better to buy used and listen to it in my home for several months.

There were two for sale recently in our classified section...

reach out to member "golum" as he had one listed recently. Not sure if he sold it...

From his classified ad.....
On behalf of my good friend I'm placing this listing for a brand new Horizon DAC. If You opened to read this listing I believe you know what You are looking into - one of the best DACs currently on the market.
Unit is brand new pulled out of the flight case for trial and picture taking. Only reason for selling is that he received it as trade in and needs to move it due to other priorities.
Warranty, tech sheet and rest I don't need to mention as everything is there. Ah yes - tubes are stock ones which he got with the unit.
For the rest of the info please contact me directly.

Reactions: Rumpole
Thanks for the suggestions. I talked with the distributor and they mentioned that the Poseidon launch happening in two weeks. I checked the launch thread here, and they are also launching a new version Pacific 2 DAC. So I'll probably wait to see the new products.

Distinguished Horizon owners: do you leave the DAC always on, or - to save tubes life - you switch it on when listening only? In the latter case, what is the warm-up time to sound at its best?

Distinguished Horizon owners: do you leave the DAC always on, or - to save tubes life - you switch it on when listening only? In the latter case, what is the warm-up time to sound at its best?
Hi Simone, (far from Distinguished) LOL, my routine goes as follows (perhaps others do different). I listen to music everyday. If I know I'm doing some chores outside, I won't power the H up until I'm back in the house. Once back in the house I turn it on and it stays on until I am done listening for the day. I avoid multiple power on and off. From what I have gathered leaving the unit on is less detrimental on the tubes than multiple power cycles. I may take a sauna for 30-40 minutes and take a break from the music, I just leave the unit on until I resume listening. I hope this helps and finds you well...John

Another thing I neglected to mention when ever I am away while the H is up, I Mute the amp, its a good habit to have...

Hi Simone, (far from Distinguished) LOL, my routine goes as follows (perhaps others do different). I listen to music everyday. If I know I'm doing some chores outside, I won't power the H up until I'm back in the house. Once back in the house I turn it on and it stays on until I am done listening for the day. I avoid multiple power on and off. From what I have gathered leaving the unit on is less detrimental on the tubes than multiple power cycles. I may take a sauna for 30-40 minutes and take a break from the music, I just leave the unit on until I resume listening. I hope this helps and finds you well...John
Im 100% tube system except for my Extreme. I agree with you about the power on and off is when failures mostly occur but the tubes I use are very old and very unobtainium so I turn my system on every day half hour before I listen and always turn off my system when Im done. its tubes so the mantra is always "amps are last on and first off". Having said that each morning and evening I close my eyes and say a little prayer when the power switches are powered on or off. o_O

Largely the same approach here. Turn on once a day, unless I know my return to the system is in doubt. I'll add it sounds 95% within 5 minutes. 15 minutes for 99%. However, if you leave the H on overnight, it sounds even better the next day. For me there is some personal stress involved in doing this, consuming the precious tubes, but the tubes are probably less stressed than I am.

I power down my tube amp if I'm away for over 15 minutes.

Thanks Sir John :p (and @Steve Williams , @Tuckia), so the common habit is to find a trade off between "on" time and the number of on/off switches. This sounds very sensible to me.

My hectic lifestyle allows for long, planned listening sessions only during the weekend, whereas during the week I am lucky if I can snag an hour here and there. This is why I have been avoiding DHT gear and/or electronics with several tubes so far ...

A warm-up of 15min to get 99% of sound quality would be acceptable though!

I avoid turning on my Horizon unless I have a 3 - 5 hour listening window and I don't leave it on over night for the same reasons mentioned by others. However, I find that it takes about an hour of play before it comes into its own fully.

Ray

I avoid turning on my Horizon unless I have a 3 - 5 hour listening window and I don't leave it on over night for the same reasons mentioned by others. However, I find that it takes about an hour of play before it comes into its own fully.

Ray
This is also a very good protocol...

Im 100% tube system except for my Extreme. I agree with you about the power on and off is when failures mostly occur but the tubes I use are very old and very unobtainium so I turn my system on every day half hour before I listen and always turn off my system when Im done. its tubes so the mantra is always "amps are last on and first off". Having said that each morning and evening I close my eyes and say a little prayer when the power switches are powered on or off. o_O
Steve you bought pretty much all the tubes on the planet your safe :)

Steve you bought pretty much all the tubes on the planet your safe :)
I did have a fun 6 months of exploring the world of very old tubes and their sonic characteristics. I’m totally chill where I am now. I have sufficient backups to the tubes I use and have sold off mint versions of tubes I ruled out. So all good Rodney

Largely the same approach here. Turn on once a day, unless I know my return to the system is in doubt. I'll add it sounds 95% within 5 minutes. 15 minutes for 99%. However, if you leave the H on overnight, it sounds even better the next day. For me there is some personal stress involved in doing this, consuming the precious tubes, but the tubes are probably less stressed than I am.

I power down my tube amp if I'm away for over 15 minutes.
Tube life extinction comes from the on/off cycling more than leaving it on. If you feel it’s safe enough, then leave it on continuously unless you know you won’t use for 3 days or more. Each on/off cycle introduces a molecule of air into the vacuum which eventually causes tube failure, that is how I was educated.

in an all tube system with amps, etc, the cost of leaving on and the fact that tubes are running near rated capacity all the time, it’s probably best to switch off all the tubes each night.

I did have a fun 6 months of exploring the world of very old tubes and their sonic characteristics. I’m totally chill where I am now. I have sufficient backups to the tubes I use and have sold off mint versions of tubes I ruled out. So all good Rodney
Yep, Uber safe! Steve, read your messages please

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing