Lampizator DAC measurements.

This is a thread posted by Lloyd - just addressing some of the points on tube distortion

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...nd-transistors&p=294464&viewfull=1#post294464

In that thread, from Tomelex: "Its true that some tubes, for example, DHT type triodes, are the most linear amplifying devices commercially available (VMOS fets are very near as good but no longer made for general consumption, I think Nelson Pass had some made for him special at one point). The triode does have an internal feedback mechanism and that's why its so linear. The more linear a device is, the less IMD products occur,and that's IMO one of the big advantages of tube gear in general."

from DonH50: "My SP3a1 had extremely low distortion, lower than most SS gear back then and probably now (don't recall exactly but it was something like 0.001 ~ 0.005 % at 1 or 2 Vrms output). It would also put out large voltage swings into a high-impedance load (10's of volts). The D79 was rated at 1 % or somthing like that but again it was very low up to clipping, at least into my Magnepans. Don't recall the SA-220's specs nor what I measured. I worked at a couple of audio stores back then, and consulted for a couple more, so had access to a lot more gear than now. Back then McIntosh were the amps with among the highest distortion into speaker loads by my measurements (and that of some others) but they were highly-regarded nonetheless."

A quotation from Thrax the manufacturer in a Mono and Stereo article:

"Why do we use triodes?
Audiophiles have been led to believe through published measurements at maximum output power and uneducated reviewers that single-ended triode amplifiers produce vast amounts of harmonic distortion. As a matter of fact triode vacuum tubes are by far the most linear amplifying devices in existence today. They produce the least amount of distortion, and that distortion is predominately second harmonic, which is the least obtrusive type for the sound. By contrast, pentodes produce greater distortion, and the third harmonic tends to dominate. A transistor looks at best like a very bad pentode."

(http://www.monoandstereo.com/2013/06...er-and_24.html)

From Atmasphere: Triodes are indeed some of the most linear devices around, and as Don points out, so are some of the MOSFETs and FETs. The high distortion of an SET is something that really should not be experienced if set up right (if you will pardon the pun- 'set' up right??)... which most are not. You really are not hearing what an SET does unless the speaker has enough efficiency to prevent you from ever needing more than about 20% of full power. This really keeps the distortion and especially the higher orders in check!"

I just finally got these amps to where they are at last week. This doesn't mean I haven't heard high end amps before. I'll be doing more comparisons with these amps soon.

We played a wide selection of music from orchestral DSD/DXD tracks from 2L to classic rock.

So, you have heard high end amps elsewhere, and this amp in isolation with the Ascenti's to confidently strut your judgement. Don't worry, I have already read comparisons of the hypex from many people who have actually compared it to various amps.

So, you have heard high end amps elsewhere, and this amp in isolation with the Ascenti's to confidently strut your judgement. Don't worry, I have already read comparisons of the hypex from many people who have actually compared it to various amps.

I've been building Hypex based amps for 8 years. I'm well aware of how they compare against other amps. This is the best one yet that I've built. And as I said earlier, you can't judge an amp based on just the Hypex module. The Hypex modules are designed to be completely transparent, so the designer can voice them the way they want to using the input stage.

Thanks but I don't see any data on this sheet for 1 ohm.

Trust me you won't have any trouble driving any speaker on the market with these. I found this on another thread. Maybe it will answer your question.

View attachment 22945

Even with the NC500's, we never got close to straining them or having them cut out with the ML's.

The spec to pay attention to is peak current if you want to know how much balls an amp has.

Compare the Krell Solo 575 specs to the NC 500. Especially the peak current, distortion and signal to noise ratio.

View attachment 22950View attachment 22951

Is the Krell suitable to drive ML's? Where's the 1 ohm rating?

The Krell only shows THD at 2 frequencies. The NC 500 is over the whole audio band. And it's THD+Noise. One missing spec for the NC 500 is damping factor. Which happens to be 1000.

Last edited:
Some old Apogees need 1 ohm, MLs don't. Also driving is different from sounding good. Devialet can drive MLs too, doesn't mean it sounds good on them

Compare the Krell Solo 575 specs to the NC 500. Especially the peak current, distortion and signal to noise ratio.

View attachment 22950View attachment 22951

Is the Krell suitable to drive ML's? Where's the 1 ohm rating?

Blizz you are comparing the wrong Krell. I own old generation "big iron" 6kw transformers in each monoblock Krell. My Krell would vaporise that little hypex amp ;)
Check the stereophile measurements for the much inferior fpb 600 stereo. I own the 750mcx monoblocks.

Amps = amplifier that is what they do, speakers need to be driven properly, unless you enjoy the sound of clipping?
Keith.

No, I like texture, tone, soundstage

I hear live music every day Ked, that big black thing, is a piano, and we have a cellist in the family now too.
Art is created in concert halls , I amjust trying to reproduce that creation as accurately as possible.
Valve amps for example with their high output impedance can change the frequency response of a loudspeaker, boosting certain frequencies and attenuating others.
The added distortion can be extremely pleasant ,and there is nothing wrong with enjoying it, personally I find it is similar to viewing everything through rose coloured spectacles.
Keith.

So, while someone is playing the piano and the cello, do you sit on the sofa and fart, to give the bass and dynamics of a full symphony orchestra?

Soundstage although usually a completely artificial construct is a function of the room and speakers, tone is frequency response but texture... what kind of texture do you prefer chewy ?
Keith.

Keith - I don't think based on my listening tests that soundstage is a construct solely of speakers and room. I have heard source components, preamps, and amps all substantially changing soundstage.

Keith - I don't think based on my listening tests that soundstage is a construct solely of speakers and room. I have heard source components, preamps, and amps all substantially changing soundstage.

Keith can't measure soundstage, so it is artificial

Blizz you are comparing the wrong Krell. I own old generation "big iron" 6kw transformers in each monoblock Krell. My Krell would vaporise that little hypex amp ;)
Check the stereophile measurements for the much inferior fpb 600 stereo. I own the 750mcx monoblocks.

Yes those are powerful amps. Would be good to compare with the Mola Mola Kaluga. But I would reccommend a few week trial. As at first the transparency of them, will take a bit to get used to.

Anyways guys lets get back to Lampi measurements. We have strayed way off topic with this amp conversation.

Anyways guys lets get back to Lampi measurements. We have strayed way off topic with this amp conversation.

Which Lampi? What level, what generation, what tube types? Recall that the DHT dacs are multi-tubinous.

As to amps, I find it hard to believe that any Class D amp cam compete with the CH Precision's M1, Goldmund Telos 5000, Dartzeel NHB-458 or the Rowen Absolute 1. All SS amps.

Which Lampi? What level, what generation, what tube types? Recall that the DHT dacs are multi-tubinous.

As to amps, I find it hard to believe that any Class D amp cam compete with the CH Precision's M1, Goldmund Telos 5000, Dartzeel NHB-458 or the Rowen Absolute 1. All SS amps.

How about any Lampi DAC to start.

Yes I know it's sometimes hard to believe that innovation has the potential of making things possible that weren't possible in the past.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing