LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I heard people are using them instead of 6550

Yes, but I also heard that it should not be done from knowledgeable people. In fact there is a reason for it : the 6550 has a maximum grid G1 rating of -300V and the KT88 has a maximum grid G1 of -200V . Under some specific conditions at power up and down the grid G1 of the power supply can be at -250V .

It is why ARC had to modify some of their amplifiers when moving from 6550s to KT120. In the power amplifiers using KT120 or KT150 they still use the 6550 in the power supply.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Seems like yes with the adapter

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I spent many hours last night and today with 3 rectifiers . I feel that the TAK 300B
Is a keeper in the Horizon also .I also feel that Tung Sol KT 170's are a keepers also . Next week I'm going to go back and compare 6SN7 5687 and some others and make my choice . But 170's and TAK 274B is excellent combo .

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Lm I'm

yes exactly! I still like the nos but for price and availability can't beat the TAK
Ty Rodney so in these two recti it like other lampi dacs I own
in my headphone amps it’s not the same compare
the taks have a faster attack where the nos a bit more refined or slower
tak I felt had a lower noise floor in amps too.
it’s a shame the gz480 was not good at Steve’s
have you tried one in yours ?

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Ty Rodney so in these two recti it like other lampi dacs I own
in my headphone amps it’s not the same compare
the taks have a faster attack where the nos a bit more refined or slower
tak I felt had a lower noise floor in amps too.
it’s a shame the gz480 was not good at Steve’s
have you tried one in yours ?
Yes didn't like it , using in TRP now . Gz480 was excellent in pac

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It is still lol. trp for me as well.
In my amps hit and miss
has anyone tried a Frankie in an H dac yet

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Any SS recti yet lol.
the SS recti has the fastest transients but does lack some tube magic

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes didn't like it , using in TRP now . Gz480 was excellent in pac
The GZ480 was my rectifier of choice in the Pacific. In our brief listen it was just a different shade. It didn’t give that big of an uptick in the Horixon. I’m so enamored now of my Tak that it has replaced the KR 5u4g until current day WE 274 B might come into production

Reactions: rau

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Does anyone know which DAC chips are used in the Horizon?
Robin
Well according to yoda he owns all there is in existence. i really don’t like to know how digital is made one way or another
it effects my view. Lastly it is even more complicated then just the chip used

Steve Williams

Well according to yoda he owns all there is in existence. i really don’t like to know how digital is made one way or another
it effects my view. Lastly it is even more complicated then just the chip used
Only 400 of them

Steve Williams

So here for me is my next big revelation and a big thank you for encouraging me to re-audition this tube in my Horizon is Lukasz and Rau.
My preferred tube set until the last 3 days has been
Thomson CSF 5687
KR KT88
Takatsuki 274B

Prior to my receiving the Horizon Lukasz had suggested that a string contender for pentodes would be KT 170

I purchased a quad matched set of TungSol KT 170's and only heard them for 5-10 minutes during the weekend Lukasz was here at my house and we were rolling tubes. I was not wowed but as Lukasz said at the time, the tubes had no hours on them and I should rethink rolling them back in at a later date

Earlier this week ran had them in and out of his system and really liked them, so much so he said that if I put them in and listen, there is no way I could go back to the KT88. Well I lisrtened for 4 days and was dazzled. Today I put back the KT88 and as good as they were they just did not project all of the information I was hearing with the KT 170's. The KT 170 filled the stage from side to side and front to back.If it were a video every pixel would be illuminated. There was energy I have never heard before and rock solid top to bottom.definition.

The KT170 is new stock, in production, affordable and readily available so for present and future Horizon owners this is a tube that I would give a huge thumb's up to

Thank you Lukasz and rau. This becomes my pentode of choice. It really works well with the Tak and brings out the best in my Lamm gear

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing