Listening Room Intelligibility Test

Referring to loudness limits, I find that it depends a lot on the source material. Various things break up differently in my room depending on the bass and treble content. My main speakers are capable of reaching extremely high levels without distortion (Geddes Abbeys). My subs are not quite so capable. I tried listening to Speak to me/Breathe (Pink Floyd) at an average level of ~100 db. The initial 'heart beat' thuds definitely caused my subs to distort at that level (and also to cause various furniture items to vibrate sympathetically), but the rest of the song was quite listenable (transients to ~110 db or so as measured with a Radio Shack meter). Listening to something that has a lot of sharp notes in the midrange but fewer highs and lows, Common Ground (Andy McKee), I found that I could only listen at a maximum of ~98 db average without a sense of break-up in the room - transients to 103 db or so. I normally like to listen at 80-85 db, which avoids these issues (as well as the danger of significant hearing damage). I'm sure I could listen louder without distortion if my room was treated optimally.

I agree (know!) that rooms can have their volume limits, but the offered explanation does not ring true to me.

It seems the reason given to the room hitting it's limits is the bass. IME it is not the bass (at least not in my case, but I'm having trouble imagining how it would manifest anyway) but far more the upper frequencies.

Sure, the subs/woofers may be getting one r two horsepower applied to them (which sounds impressive) but what are the actual figures??? It is very low I'm pretty sure, ie 100db efficient still only means a few percent of the applied power is converted to sound. I am sure the correct answer will be on it's way!!;)

If it were the bass, then it would imply a small two way for example could not be played to loudly for the room, which I doubt very strongly is the case.

I get the idea it is somehow connected to the uncontrolled/excess of reflections, or at least it is how it manifests in MY room. The unintellgibility suddenly goes thru the roof.

Funnily enough, the initial tendency to make it easier to understand is to turn it up, which only worsens the situation. Usually happens in the TV room (untreated), hard to understand so turn it up, makes it harder to understand.

Still, treating the room certainly helps the ringing (not bass in this example) which certainly allows a higher volume with intelligiblity.

I am late to the record the room party, but as it is only 35 bucks I'll send a payment to Art and have it dissected here.

So will havta start mucking about wioth audacity again soon.
========================================================
Yes and yes, I think. right on all accounts.

Never mind about $35, just post the wav file. for all to listen to and I'll run it.

Yes, I am talking about deep bass overdriving the structure of the room. Yes, 2 hp subwoofer power is 1500 electrical watts and it produces about 1/2 watt of acoustic power. Such is life in the sonic lane. Does this mean subwoofers leave huge black carbon footprints? Yes. Does this mean subwoofers are not GREEN and will soon be black listed as being Politically Incorrect to own, let alone fire up?

I wasn't thinking about a 2 way and how that speaker falters. I agree that that anything above 50 Hz bounces off the walls and becomes acoustic. And, acoustics is linear even at the loudest of listening level. Now, I have heard lamp shades, light bezels, amp tops, amp fins and knick knacks in the book shelves take off above certain sound levels. Vibration must be the one that has a threshold for turning on, but just a sound wave, no threshold. We do have the fletcher munson curve which often comes into play when discussing loud vs not so loud listening effects.

Art Noxon

It is always the same, if the sound is bad, people always turn it up. Makes no sense to turn difficult-to-hear sound down, does it? Great sounding spaces are played quietly and awful spaces are played loud, always has been this way, a law of sonic life. Definition of insanity some say is to keep doing the same thing, expecting something different than you always get.

I think I have mentioned it before. You can EQ for intelligibility and improve the quality of the overall delivered sound using volume adjustments. Just turn down the loud garbles bandwidths of sound by about 5 dB and things get sounding really great. But who wants EQ in their high end audio chain?

Last edited:
========================================================
Yes and yes, I think. right on all accounts.

Never mind about $35, just post the wav file. for all to listen to and I'll run it.

Thanks Art, tho TBH I do not mind one bit about the money. (if I'd known it was so cheap, I'd have done it ages ago!) I recall asking on DIY audio once about how we might go about getting a measurement of the matt test for analysis.:p

Yes, I am talking about deep bass overdriving the structure of the room. Yes, 2 hp subwoofer power is 1500 electrical watts and it produces about 1/2 watt of acoustic power. Such is life in the sonic lane. Does this mean subwoofers leave huge black carbon footprints? Yes. Does this mean subwoofers are not GREEN and will soon be black listed as being Politically Incorrect to own, let alone fire up?

Ok then, guess we were talking at cross purposes. For sure, the bass can (and does) induce rattles etc, but I find that does not tend to 'drive me from the room' as the 'room overloading' does. More an annoyance really, like the person talking behind you at a concert.

The remedy for what I have been calling 'room overloading' is, of course, room treatment which fits in kinda well with this forum haha.

It is always the same, if the sound is bad, people always turn it up. Makes no sense to turn difficult-to-hear sound down, does it? Great sounding spaces are played quietly and awful spaces are played loud, always has been this way, a law of sonic life. Definition of insanity some say is to keep doing the same thing, expecting something different than you always get.

Yep, you gotta realise what is going on, but as you say it is the first instinctive thing to do...a bit like when you go into a skid in the wet, you tend to press harder on the brake.

Same deal, wrong way to handle things.

I think I have mentioned it before. You can EQ for intelligibility and improve the quality of the overall delivered sound using volume adjustments. Just turn down the loud garbles bandwidths of sound by about 5 dB and things get sounding really great. But who wants EQ in their high end audio chain?

I do NOT get this standard audiophile response of 'who want's eq' in their 'hi end systems'. We have all seen some pretty horrendous measurements of purported hi end systems!!

I would not be without it!!! I use two deqx units, others use Tact or similar. Possibly we may again be talking at cross purposes a little, I mean what the deqx does could be argues does not fall into 'mere' EQ territory.....

Heck, given that viewpoint what to make of the (equally standard) audiophile view that it IS ok to 'eq' the response with cables or power cords??

Crikey, I know which I'd pick.

One that makes a real, definite and measurable difference.

Often at pennies in the dollar I might add.

Thanks, I will get onto the measurements soon. On that question, and germane to your recent point, would it be instructive to do a series of measurements at progressively louder levels?

Since the remodeling/expansion of my studio in 1984, I have been actively chasing down 'secondary emission' or sympathetic vibrations from heating convectors to ceiling lamp fixtures. If you've read my thread "Why We Need SPLs in Excess of 120dB" here on WB, then you know that room overdrive is a very important issue.
I run a very special type of subwoofers, whose drivers each have 5HP motors and are highly efficient, driven by tens of thousands of watts of amplifiers. The vibrations actually set the earth itself into motion and these vibrations can be felt some distance from the house. Needless to say, this presents not only structural distortion challenges, but structural damage risks. Fortunately, my home design was a direct response to having lost a previous home to a twister. It was also built with more than a passing nod to the cold war. Those overkill construction techniques lend the structure to being naturally resistant to sound pressure levels that would implode a contractor-built home.
My studio has always had some emphasis on acoustics, as Bob Carver advised for his Sonic Hologram to work properly. I built a LEDE configuration with the dead end being the speaker end of the room. When I converted this space to a theater in 2009, I decided now was the time to really work on the acoustic side of it. So I made the dead end nearly anechoic. I tripled up on the fiberglass panel thickness on the wall behind the speakers. I added 10" thick batts and just stuffed them in the empty spaces between the tops of my midrange cabinets behind the 12' AT screen. I built bass/light traps and hung them from the ceiling directly over the screen. What a difference. When one walks into the theater, one feels the air being sucked out of their head, so to speak. Yet the back end is live and reverberant to a degree. Sonically, the new treatments made a dramatic difference in the imaging and smoothness of the frequency response. Just listening to a sweep tone produced consistent volume across the sweep, where prior to renovation, the volume would fluxuate dramatically as the sweep progressed. Now I'm finding myself hearing minute details that go unnoticed when I listen on headphones. I was able to tell about the three DACs in Ethan Winer's listening challenge last summer and correctly identify which was which, only on the speakers.
The system and room sound very clean with dynamic program material that may have very loud percussion, but enough 'white space' in between to make it tolerable with an average SPL around 115dB and a crest factor of 13dB. The percussion may be heart-stopping (at least people tell me they have difficulty breathing or experience moderate to severe chest pains) with the bass and percussion over 130dB. When I'm listening alone, and having a few moments of excitement, the levels often exceed 140dB (the limit of my CEL 201 sound level meter) and well before that, my ceiling tiles and light fixtures rattle audibly such that their decaying rattle is heard between beats. At higher levels, I have more serious problems with broken fluorescent tubes, as happened to me about 2 months ago during a particulary spirited playback session. The other problem is ceiling tiles that get sucked out of the gridwork on pipe organ pedal tones, particularly when two pedals overlap briefly, creating a beat tone in the single digits. This has been a constant nuisance, but infrequent enough that I have not felt it financially prudent to spend much effort and materials to redesign the ceiling. The other problem is dust precipitation. Once up in the 135+ range, it starts "snowing" in here--dust from between the tiles is forced out of the space as the tiles hop around within the gridwork. Although they are damped with 24" wide fiberglass batt insulation pushing them down against the grid.
I think I'll have the broken glass problem cured when I convert all the troffer lighting to recessed PAR lights with LED bulbs, as part of my energy saving strategy.
I don't expect environmental restrictions from an energy usage angle, but from a nuisance angle. When David Lee fired up his Bassmaxx subwoofer at the New York City SPL shootout in a night club, there was a complaint to the EPA from an apartment building across the street. Apparently the superstructure of the high rise apartment was being vibrated or shaken to such a degree that it triggered complaints from residents there. The sound levels inside the club were in excess of 150dB during the brief test, about 20dB louder than most of the competitors. This illustrates that there is an environmental issue, but not for the reasons already mentioned here.
Electricity IS an issue, and thankfully I don't operate this system more than about 2 hours per week at any appreciable levels. We do watch movies on weekends, but using perhaps one one hundred thousandth of the system capacity, so it's basically idling at theatrical motion picture levels.
With my room being relatively dead, and also power hungry, it takes a lot of power to overcome that vacuum at the lower frequencies and there is little reverberation to add perceived loudness to the mids/highs. Just putting an ordinary pair of hi-fi speakers at the front of the room and playing them with several hundred watts reveals very anemic bass. This room doesn't have any gain at very low frequencies, unlike most rooms, for some peculiar reason. I think it has to do with a very deep cancellation at 34Hz from the back wall, at the central listening position. All my seating is located at precisely the null for low frequencies. Good for imaging, and viewing the screen, but very bad for deep bass.
One thing I've noticed about SPLs over 140dB is that air friction produces an almost instantaneous increase in air temperature. Just two minutes of very loud LF content brings a 3°F temperature rise on two thermometers located in different parts of the room. The amps aren't pumping out much heat because they aren't working hard to produce that SPL, but the air turns "solid" feeling as it can be felt buffeting every surface of one's body, so I attribute the temperature rise to air friction.
Frequency of content in the program material can set off resonances of particular objects and walls, ceiling, etc. There is also the masking effect with material that leaves no 'white space'. Constant screaming guitars in some Japanese rock is like that. Jazz, and some pop music has a wide aperture. I'm particularly enjoying some late 80s Japanese pop albums that are especially well-recorded and with a kick drum that will evoke comments like "the bass was incredibly fast!"

Gary, thanks for running that file. I'm not exactly sure what I'm seeing here... it looks like the waveform spectrum in the upper trace and the zoomed in detail of the actual waveform data in the lower. Is that what I'm seeing?

Basspig-Sometimes when I read the things you write I find myself at a loss for words. I know by now that I shouldn't be surprised at the things you say like earth moving, property distruction, lightbulbs breaking, snowstorms of dust, temperatures rising, people becoming sick and running screaming from your room. It's all a bit much. I'm confident that you have to be hearing impaired.

Basspig-Sometimes when I read the things you write I find myself at a loss for words. I know by now that I shouldn't be surprised at the things you say like earth moving, property distruction, lightbulbs breaking, snowstorms of dust, temperatures rising, people becoming sick and running screaming from your room. It's all a bit much. I'm confident that you have to be hearing impaired.

Yeah, I kind of reacted the same way. His intelligibility test looks good, though.

It's a long story, oweing to a lot of uh, psychological shortcomings earlier in life that lead me to "extremist audio." :)
I'm as adverse to loud noises as the next person, but sparing application of audio does help with the hearing preservation. Yes, it's not good. I sometimes shoot firearms without hearing protection either. A number of my friends survived the Viet Nam war and have difficulty handing the sound pressure levels I sometimes demo at. Fortunately, my listening time is limited, and the loudest energy is below 50Hz. Energy in the midrange is seldem more than 118dBa.
Just this evening, I was listening to J-pop music and had my sound level meter, a CEL 201, with me in the front row. The SPLs were hitting 132dB just as the 'signal present LEDs on the QSC amplifiers were beginning to flicker on peaks. This is the point at which the amps are idling.
As I mentioned in the over 120dB thread, I needed a system that was equally at home with Classical music as it was with accurately reproducing the impact of pyrotechnics recordings that I made using 24-bit recording. The rise time on those explosions is 40µS. In order to reproduce the impact of those sounds, the system has to be phase-coherent and have very fast transient response. That has been documented by my square wave acoustic test a couple months back. I think that if you can reproduce a square wave at the listener position that is recognizeable, then you are seeing the phase integrity needed for good intelligability. I've been told, time and again by Classical musicians and recording engineers that come to my GBS screenings, that the experience is 'better than being in the concert hall'. A cellist friend of mine is always amazed at the beauty of the double basses, as reproduced here. A violinist commented on more than one occasion about how perfect the 'balance' of the sound of the orchestra was. On everything, from Rachmaninoff piano concertos to Italian opera with full choir, the system produces a palpable 'you are there' sensation.
When I go to see so-called 'high end' loudspeakers, including electrostatics at a show room, what I hear is good, but still have that 'hi-fi speaker' sound. Speakers should disappear when listening to a fine recording.
Another hint about the quality of the reproduction is that people can tolerate louder than usual playback levels without cringing. Well, at least up to the point where their chests are being forcibly pushed in/out by the sound pressure waves. :) Clean, articulate audio is a joy to listen to, even at elevated levels. Transients can be very loud, but due to their short duration, accepted by many listeners. Piano is particularly hard to get right. A lot of systems intermodulate piano chords, making them sound harsh. The pianist who performed Rachmaninoff's Concerto No 3 in D minor Op 30 thoroughly enjoyed listening to his performance a week after the concert, when I had the Blu-ray disc ready for preview. As a performer who plays only on the finest Steinway concert grands internationally, he has very discerning ears for how the piano should sound. His only complaint was that the one supplied for this concert was slightly out of tune. Indeed, D# and B above middle C had one of their triad strings out of tune just slightly, probably due to the piano being moved from backstage to center front during intermission.
It was a formidable task, and it took me nearly forty years to get it right, but I am extremely happy with my system. Even my parrot doesn't seem to mind music at live levels when he's in the room with me.

Ah, kidney stones.. I don't know about that, but I do know that at times it can be an aid to overcome constipation. "Sonic Kaopectate" as it were. :)

This graphic depiction shows a layman's description of the sound pressure levels to be expected with various settings of the master volume control:

Bass Pig's Volume&.jpg

READING RED TEA LEAVES

Hello again, I’m checking in for some more adventures.

Here I am going over the latest two MATT printouts. So refer to them as I go through this project. We’ll start with Mark, the bass pig and end with Gary, the MaggiStax guy.

It should be very clear that Mark the bass pig it hot and articulate in the bass range, below middle C, 260 Hz.

He is maintaining 20 dB articulation down to 250 Hz, when the listening position goes into a self cancel. Something seriously reflective is beaming the direct signal into the listening location with a time delay that equals ½ cycle of 250 Hz. That’s about 27”. If his listening position is 27” away from the back wall, that would do it.

Notice how the articulation remains strong all the way to 28 Hz. Even there it is about 5 dB. This is a fantastically clear room, the way pro recording studios are.

Fletcher Munson Curve

Except for one thing, which may be related to the nick name; “bass pig”. The bass just climbs in level, up to +10 dB over the midrange program material. Now, if we are playing the room quietly, this is an appropriate gain in the bass, as noted by the Fletcher Munson curve, which show us that our perception of bass is not as sensitive as our perception of midrange, at low sound levels. However at high sound levels we hear bass just as well as the mids. It’s as if bass pig is running his system with the bass boost button pushed all the way in.

This brings up a very interesting psychoacoustic fact. Our overall dynamic range in the midrange is about 100 dB, conversationally speaking. However, in bass it is only 50 dB. Our threshold of hearing in the treble range is 0 dB. Our threshold of hearing in the bass range is (hold your breath…) 50 dB. Yes, unbelievably 50 dB.

When we adjust volume, we adjust the entire bandwidth the same number of dB at the same time. If we were playing 100 dB and turned the volume down 10 dB, all frequencies drop 10 dB. That’s what we would expect a volume knob to do. But if we turn the volume down an additional 40 dB, we no longer hear bass, but our treble is still cooking at conversational sound levels.

In my former life (young), I built boxes for the first half of my life. I gave some away, lost a good number on (permanent) loan and sold some, usually for just enough to pay for the materials and drivers. I’d be doing the same thing today if I didn’t have a financially minded business partner. Anyway, I developed a great sounding low volume speaker. It had a small bass driver with a huge magnet and a big sealed box. It played the deepest bass quietly and had mid and tweet drivers that played clearly and quietly. It was made to produce quiet full range background music. But it sure sounded awful when the volume was turned up.

I always wondered why we don’t have a progressive volume control, one that keeps the apparent volume constant full bandwidth, instead of a simple linear one that we normally are provided with. It would be adjust bass between 100 and 50dB while it adjusted treble between 100 and 0 dB. I know there are some like that. Anyone have experiences with that type of volume control?

Let’s look at Gary -2, the guy with MagnapanStax headphones. He retook the MATT test after the idling truck drove off. However he reports after 40 seconds into the test another truck buzzed by him, but not for long. The test is 90 seconds. The center line of the test is 45 seconds into the test. Gary had a drive-by event a little before the center line of the test. What that event did is to raise the background noise floor, which means the room didn’t get as quiet as it otherwise would have gotten.

We have always kept the MATT test a symmetric test. Why? It is so comfortable to work with. Ascending tones followed by descending tones. If you hear it on the way up, you should also hear it on the way down. It’s like a double check on what you are hearing. Also, visually, it is just easier to see stuff when it is symmetrically displayed. We have tried many times to just show the first 45 seconds, the first half of the test, but it always leaves a hunger for completion.

The demo part of the MATT trainer is a good example of a half test. http://www.acousticsciences.com/matt.htm

Anyway, look at the lowest portion of the test data, and keep comparing the left to right versions, which should be like a reflection. Between 625 and 700 Hz we can compare the data at 40 seconds in. Notice the flat bottom on the left section of data compared to the down, up down sculpted version of data on the right side? OK, it’s a fine point and barely noticeable, but when ever we see a flat bottom to the test, it’s usually noise.

Moving on. Overall, the levels are fairly flat and the intelligibility is fairly good (10 to 15 dB). We do see a lot of loud quiet loud quiet loud quiet etc a we move up the spectrum. This is typical of a reflective room. Now the bottom end is something else. We have a strong dropoff in level starting at 150 Hz and ending at 80 Hz. It climbs back up and hangs in there until it starts to roll off at 35 Hz. Notice the drop in articulation in the deep bass range, it’s down to 5 to 10 db. Even so, it’s pretty good.

What I don’t like is the notable amount of sonic gargling going on between 50 and 100 Hz. This should be an audible and bothersome affect. Again, I’d say your room is just too bright. Now I’ll go and try to find a picture of your setup… got it. Way too much side to side energy. We need to get some serious acoustics on your side walls.

You do not want any flutter energy anywhere near the area of the speakers. And I’ll bet there is a lot of flutter there. Stand near the speakers, facing the listening position. Clap your hands in front of you and again over your head. Hear that zing? That continuance of sound. What ever goes on in the front of the room is what you hear in your chair.

Carpet Acoustics

Here’s a good opportunity to slightly discuss acoustic ceiling tile. They are a directional acoustic product. They absorb vertical sound and do not absorb grazing sound. That means between the carpet and ceiling you probably do not have strong treble flutter, vertically, but the side walls….ouch….don’t get absorbed by those tiles up there.

Also, pull that carpet forward. You want the speakers playing off the 2 front corners of your magic carpet ride. And place your chair at the other end of the carpet. Persian carpets are acoustics for the floor. Notice, I’m not talking about any carpet, I’m talking about a Persian carpet. I have a white paper somewhere about carpets…

I was in a dealers showroom, on the east coast, someone who everyone knows. Very tricked out room with monster Wilsons. It was just awful and no one could figure out what was wrong. It was now my turn. I go up to the old boy and clap my hand. I hear the zinger. How could that be? Wall acoustics everywhere, TubeTraps in the corners and pressure zones of the walls. New carpet.

The only thing hot was the ceiling. It’s hard to get people to believe that sound has no sense of direction. They love to load stuff onto the side walls but can’t imagine that the ceiling is just like a side wall, as far as how a sound wave operates. Acoustically, a ceiling is a wall turned sideways. If you don’t see it like that…what can I say.

Back to the story: Clap – zing, clap – zing. I look around and there is no obvious repetitive sound path. So I look past the obvious. I can’t hear the zing side to side or front to back. It must be vertical, but we have fluffy new carpet. I get on all 4s and like a dog put my face close to her floor, sometimes I’ll just lay down to do this. And I say into the carpet the old sound check routine…check, check, testing one, two… I just as well could have been talking to a wall. It was so hot, yes the carpet. So I dig around and shine my flashlight into the carpet and it shines right back.

They had bought a new carpet, one that was sealed water tight, easy to clean and quick to dry after a steam cleaning. You know, I had written for those guys a paper about carpet selection and it was still sitting there in their acoustic file. But they forgot to read it before they went shopping and bought the wrong new carpet. I told them to drag a good Persian into the room and up to the front of the Wilsons and presto, they sounded like Wilsons.

Why do I always tell stories.....?
Hope you don’t mind…I just love life in the fast lane of audio, I know you guys do too.

Art Noxon
Invented TubeTraps, Pres of ASC
www.acousticsciences.com

Hope you don’t mind…I just love life in the fast lane of audio, I know you guys do too.

Art Noxon
www.acousticsciences.com

Hey Art... it's with your stories that folks like us can learn from your experience.

(...)
They had bought a new carpet, one that was sealed water tight, easy to clean and quick to dry after a steam cleaning. You know, I had written for those guys a paper about carpet selection and it was still sitting there in their acoustic file. But they forgot to read it before they went shopping and bought the wrong new carpet. I told them to drag a good Persian into the room and up to the front of the Wilsons and presto, they sounded like Wilsons.

Art Noxon
www.acousticsciences.com

Wonderful story - it is the kind of situation we do not solve in computer simulations using the standard typical absorption coefficients. But now you have to tell us the number of knots per square inch of the proper carpet ...

Wow Art, nice reading. And I think you've picked up the hardwood carrying beam that was just about 27" above the microphone (the black traps don't extend all the way to listener chair--they just absorb some HF reflections from the mains).

The system was designed to have a power bandwidth according to Fletcher-Munsen--good catch!
Here's why:

Behind the Scree&#110.jpg

In the photo above, you can see the measuring mic position, about 9' from the drivers. This was taken during a retentioning of the movie screen, so the screen was temporarily removed during this shot. It gets stretched by being pushed in and out several inches from LF sound energy during loud playback of very low frequency events.

The woofers on the ends are very special. They can do nearly a 4" stroke and are linear to past 3". They have an upper cutoff around 60Hz. Their efficiency is best below 20Hz actually. They're probably contributing most to that curve.

This room has a real problem with bass. It just is a black hole for bass. Years ago, when I put conventional loudspeakers down here, they sounded, as my Italian friend used to say, like "paper cup speakers". It's impossible to get deep bass in this room. That is, until David Lee's little inventions arrived in 2006. Practically speaking, the system only needs one of those drivers. I bought four because I didn't believe the manufacter's claims and figured I'd need the extra output. Big mistake. Funny thing is, Room EQ Wizard measures pretty flat, except for a huge dip around 34Hz.

There is still a hint of problems with the ceiling and the concrete floor. Perhaps the carpeting is too thin. I could probably put down thicker carpet with a denser pile and padding on the carrying beam which is five 2x12 Black Locust timbers with 3/16" steel plates sandwitched in between the two innermost timbers. That sucker weighed almost 4,000lbs and I lifted it into place with an array of hydraulic jacks and stacking blocks over a week's time. It has a formidable bare surface area that is covered with luan mahogany.

I'm not completely done with the subwoofer design. The drivers are in cabinets I designed for a different driver 28 years ago. I've drawn up a new design for a pair of 38 cu ft cabinets with a vent area of 16 sq ft.

Some other things I plan to do is put foam or felt padding on the baffles of the mid/hf cabinets. That should clean up the response above 12KHz (which was not measured here) and eliminate the flutter echo between the screen and the baffle faces.

But as it stands, everyone who's heard music and fireworks on it has been truly delighted with the sound quality.

Thanks, Art. That was a great story. I agree with the Persian carpet. I would add that it has to be natural wool as that sounds far better than cotton. I've never owned a large enough silk carpet for it to matter to the acoustics. The carpet I'm using is unfortunately too heavy to move. It's natural wool and probably 1" thick. When my larger speakers are in the room, the carpet does go all the way up to the front edge of the speakers. I'll have to get a couple more absorbing panels on the side walls - which are a bit bright.

Thanks for a analysis. It's a great learning story for every one reading.

Now, I hope that others will post their recordings too. There was an early post about using a RadioShack SPL meter as a mic+preamp. If someone plugs that into the line-in jack on a laptop, would that be sufficient quality to make more illustrations?

btw, I'm not the MagnepanStax guy, you might have been thinking of someone else.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing