Magico M6 and Tube Amp?

Why not try the AUDIO RESEARCH 330 M.
sounded very good on the S3 mk2 in munich .

I honestly havent heard a good sounding M6 yet.

Forget about large commercial speakers get a wiilson sasha or magico S3 mk2.
Most have integration issues

Wilson XVX .... all fall in the category " trophy sound '

Last edited:
I would take the CATs every day of the week and twice on Sunday on just about any speaker... IMO the tonality of the CH is simply not natural and without tone you don't really have music...the rest of the hifi traits become irrelevant. Mind you, I am only talking about a direct comparison of these two brands...not an absolute context but a relative one.

Yes I understand your need to take any valve over CH. The cat is however just an average push pull KT amp with just no transparency to recordings and to the music once you get past the valve tone on the first record

The CH can sound pretty bad but it has a lot of adjustments that can make it sound better. Not as good as a good low watt valve amp not much better than CAT

Neither - - it's the speakers that are challenging (to drive). The best I've heard M6's was in a home setting with CH Precision M10 monos driving them. That was two years later than the tube experience, and with that SS power the bass lined up fine with the rest.

Did you hear them with VAC ..?

Frankly the sales Mgr Demo’s are challenging, if you heard his setup and music selection and did not fall asleep then you may have notice the lack of jump and drive its consistent when he does them..

He is very pipe and slippers with his demo’s ...

BTW , Magico is very demanding , regardless of model , my suggestions with SS is big as they come and enjoy ..

Did you hear them with VAC ..?

Frankly the sales Mgr Demo’s are challenging, if you heard his setup and music selection and did not fall asleep then you may have notice the lack of jump and drive its consistent when he does them..

He is very pipe and slippers with his demo’s ...

BTW , Magico is very demanding , regardless of model , my suggestions with SS is big as they come and enjoy ..
Never with VAC, only the ARC 160M's.

Madfloyd had big CAT monos and pre but prefers CH on his MPro, predecessor to the M6.

CH is better electronics than CAT

• Haha
Reactions: caesar
Yes I understand your need to take any valve over CH. The cat is however just an average push pull KT amp with just no transparency to recordings and to the music once you get past the valve tone on the first record

The CH can sound pretty bad but it has a lot of adjustments that can make it sound better. Not as good as a good low watt valve amp not much better than CAT
Just to be clear; that need is based on my assessment that CH sounds unmusical. JL 2 signature was better than what you describe…can’t comment on the newer models…but I would still prefer them over CH…
I did hear a good sounding SS amp recently…the Grandinote Shinai.

Just to be clear; that need is based on my assessment that CH sounds unmusical. JL 2 signature was better than what you describe…can’t comment on the newer models…but I would still prefer them over CH…
I did hear a good sounding SS amp recently…the Grandinote Shinai.

This is based on your assessment of CH in Munich

Reactions: thedudeabides
Much of these assesments have to do with difficult to drive speakers like M6 and XVX .

Thats where all this magico / pilium praise comes from imo .
They finally found an amp who can drive the damn thing somewhat .

But music ......no.

The CAT JL5 BP was a bargain , is a bargain and will forever be a bargain.
I feel no need to change

This is based on your assessment of CH in Munich
This is based on my assessment everywhere...not just Munich...I live in Switzerland, remember? Heard them plenty of times here at other shows and dealers. No one I know here actually owns CH...ironic given this is the country of origin. I can tell you that it is not due to lack of funds...

• Wow
Reactions: morricab
Those last two Opus videos do sound like an AI mash

Heh.

I was thinking of a component matching service based on forum posts. "Applying your goals and your preferences, I will help you build a system -- whether modest or "all-out assault" -- at whatever cost level you wish -- to achieve the most satisfaction possible from your favorite music." For $1000 consulting fee choose any three component pairs and the Hollywood Audio Consultant (driven by AI !) will give you a compatibility rating for parameters and sound for the pair.

Goal: "I want a lively realistic sound for female vocals"
Limit: $250,000
Component pair: Magico M6 + CH M1.1

Your system compatibility rating is: 8.9
Your sonic compatibility rating is: 7.6

Heh.

I was thinking of a component matching service based on forum posts. "Applying your goals and your preferences, I will help you build a system -- whether modest or "all-out assault" -- at whatever cost level you wish -- to achieve the most satisfaction possible from your favorite music." For $1000 consulting fee choose any three component pairs and the Hollywood Audio Consultant (driven by AI !) will give you a compatibility rating for parameters and sound for the pair.

Goal: "I want a lively realistic sound for female vocals"
Limit: $250,000
Component pair: Magico M6 + CH M1.1

Your system compatibility rating is: 8.9
Your sonic compatibility rating is: 7.6

I think you also need to add an audiophile rank. For the above, you are now in rank 3/5.

And then you can have suggestions to move to level 4 and level 5 (M9 + 10 box CH).

• Haha
Reactions: tima
And as an added bonus, my proprietary algorithm will notify you which five system tier of my all time favorite systems, subject to change at any moment, your new Cafe AI designed system falls into. Criteria is emotional involvement while listening to the Clowns singing Hallelujah as they walk through the great Gates of Kyiv to Fields of Gold with an encore by Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac.

Please note that system videos will be made of the virtual presentation ( please subscribe to the WBF video channel ) but they are not to be used to assess the quality of the experience and in no way reflect what you will hear.

Winking emoji.
Probably would do a better job than most WBF members at the same task... :p

well there is one wavac SH 833 with the M6, Ron can request a video of that to understand.,

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu