Magico M6 and Tube Amp?

Yes I understand your need to take any valve over CH. The cat is however just an average push pull KT amp with just no transparency to recordings and to the music once you get past the valve tone on the first record

Sounds like we have different experiences and somewhat different tastes... Couldn't disagree more, as I have heard CAT for 15 years with a variety of hard to drive box speakers - as that's what's prevalent in north america. The reason why I find CAT superior to other push pull amps, is it has not only the right tone, but it also has transparency to the emotion of music. The new models are much more resolving, but I actually prefer the older ones because CAT can communicate emotion, even with the most sterile box speaker.

I would take the CATs every day of the week and twice on Sunday on just about any speaker... IMO the tonality of the CH is simply not natural and without tone you don't really have music...the rest of the hifi traits become irrelevant. Mind you, I am only talking about a direct comparison of these two brands...not an absolute context but a relative one.

Post of the year!

• Love
Reactions: morricab
Sounds like we have different experiences and somewhat different tastes... Couldn't disagree more, as I have heard CAT for 15 years with a variety of hard to drive box speakers - as that's what's prevalent in north america. The reason why I find CAT superior to other push pull amps, is it has not only the right tone, but it also has transparency to the emotion of music. The new models are much more resolving, but I actually prefer the older ones because CAT can communicate emotion, even with the most sterile box speaker.

You are comparing CAT to push pull amps.

My friend had the CAT JL7 with black gates here for two weeks with his Avalon compass diamond, the Allnic 300b ( which is used market 6 to 8k gbp), was better than it on every track. There wasn’t one LP the cat sounded better on. Most unemotional.

The kronzilla was similar level to Allnic and the KR circoltron which was like 180 watts or so was clearly better

Reactions: caesar
You are comparing CAT to push pull amps.

My friend had the CAT JL7 with black gates here for two weeks with his Avalon compass diamond, the Allnic 300b ( which is used market 6 to 8k gbp), was better than it on every track. There wasn’t one LP the cat sounded better on. Most unemotional.

The kronzilla was similar level to Allnic and the KR circoltron which was like 180 watts or so was clearly better
There you go Ked, spinning off into space! The comparison was with CH, which last time I checked is a push/pull SS amp. You will note that I said I prefer CAT specifically in that head to head matchup. In a different matchup I preferred the NAT SE2SE monos (parallel 211s) over CAT JL2 signature. With the right speaker, perhaps only the THRAX Spartacus 300 is really competitive against a top SET.

There you go Ked, spinning off into space! The comparison was with CH, which last time I checked is a push/pull SS amp. You will note that I said I prefer CAT specifically in that head to head matchup. In a different matchup I preferred the NAT SE2SE monos (parallel 211s) over CAT JL2 signature. With the right speaker, perhaps only the THRAX Spartacus 300 is really competitive against a top SET.

I agree with the Thrax as I like their mk2 phono, preamp, and two hybrids I heard, the integrated as well as the 100w hybrid. I heard enough in CAT to not rate it as a good amp. The CH is a good SS amp, When configured correctly. I have heard it sound bad as well.

Last edited:
IMO the tonality of the CH is simply not natural and without tone you don't really have music...the rest of the hifi traits become irrelevant.

Brad, in my experience the tonality of most class AB amplifiers are not as beautiful as class A amplifiers but the important key is the matching of amplifier and speaker. I think in the high power solidstate market only Vitus audio shines for me but I think if you find a match speaker for CH precision you will get much better tone. CH M10 has feedback adjustment for both channels. It seems it can help but finally before any judgment we should find the match speaker for CH.

I listened to some Ypsilon amplifiers with Wilson Benesch Speakers, I can say both the tone and bass were not good.
(I am not sure but it seems wilson benesch (isobaric models) and Ypsilon amplifiers are not match)

I think one of the main problems in high end audio is the matching problem of speaker and amplifier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiohertz2
Brad, in my experience the tonality of most class AB amplifiers are not as beautiful as class A amplifiers but the important key is the matching of amplifier and speaker. I think in the high power solidstate market only Vitus audio shines for me but I think if you find a match speaker for CH precision you will get much better tone. CH M10 has feedback adjustment for both channels. It seems it can help but finally before any judgment we should find the match speaker for CH.

I listened to some Ypsilon amplifiers with Wilson Benesch Speakers, I can say both the tone and bass were not good.
(I am not sure but it seems wilson benesch (isobaric models) and Ypsilon amplifiers are not match)

I think one of the main problems in high end audio is the matching problem of speaker and amplifier.
Right. This thread really is a "horses for courses" discussion, IMO. Magico M6's are a challenging speaker to drive, so it's hard to understand why SET's have been introduced into the discussion. CAT and other powerful pp tube amps might make sense, but it's going to be a challenge, with the need to try and hear.

So we are here , CAT vs VAC , for tube PP supremacy, let the show begin ...
Put VTL and ARC in the mix please thank you .

USA the birth place of audio reviewing .

USA where big is better .

Magico M6 is like a large pick up truck
Needs at least a 6 liter Hemi to show its potential.

Pilium Boulder D agostino Soulution and the list goes on and on .

Controlled sound not natural.

First get a top notch PP tube amp and worry about speakers later

Eduardo Delima Designed Audiopax M100 Class A1 SET tube amplifier. 100w Class A1 + 6 timbrelock option for perfect matching to Speaker.
I think if he was live now we had a good high power tube amplifier. Delima was my favorite audio designer.

Put VTL and ARC in the mix please thank you .

USA the birth place of audio reviewing .

USA where big is better .

Magico M6 is like a large pick up truck
Needs at least a 6 liter Hemi to show its potential.

Pilium Boulder D agostino Soulution and the list goes on and on .

Controlled sound not natural.

First get a top notch PP tube amp and worry about speakers later

No mate , amp for load , you gotta choose the speakers first ..!

Not more power , but drive and balance , in other-words Max doesn't need more power, he needs better chassis balance .. :)

Anyway i would put the VAC up against any PP tube amplifier for compare ..

Neither approach is BS. Either approach has its merits. No need to argue in extremes.

It is. You can get good speakers both ways, the electronics will ruin the signal. The simpler the circuit, the better the sound. The simplest circuits, closest you will get to straight wire, are 2ish watt amps. Of course, there are hardly any full range speakers they can drive. But you add a few more watts, you can get to full range pretty easily.

With digital or poor recordings there is not much difference. With good analog recordings there is a ton of difference between the two approaches

Reactions: Ligriv

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu