Magico M9

Wilson usually loses coherence with size. E.g. Their Sasha 2 is the most coherent compared to Alexia 1 or the Alexandria variants. Magico does not have that issue so theoretically the M9 should be better with better, more integrated bass. All Magico needs to do is add some decay and tone, if they managed that with M9. The videos look promising
that's how I hear it too. There is a problem with large speakers with chassis that are far apart they no longer function as a point source of sound. complex xover and time adjustments are necessary until it sounds really good again.

that's how I hear it too. There is a problem with large speakers with chassis that are far apart they no longer function as a point source of sound. complex xover and time adjustments are necessary until it sounds really good again.
I hear that too .
There is a " golden speaker" zone afaic .
If you make woofers to big they can become heavy and slow , then there is also the issue with stacked / high designs .
For me the golden speaker zone woulde be magico m6 / Mpro wilson maxx 3 / alexx and my own speaker design size
15 inch woofers are usually more heavy to move around , you cant escape it.
Also the FS usually isnt lower then a 11 inch 12 inch woofer design .
You might not get deeper bass ( depends on roll off off course )but you do get more displaced air volume with a 15 incher which has its own charme of course

It will be very interesting to hear the latest big top magicos / wilsons in munchen , as compared to what my opinion was before my own system/ speakers improved.

(Plus if i were magico i would add a bass pipe , with a closing plate , so you can either use it or not)

Last edited:
the deeper a loudspeaker is supposed to play, the heavier the bass membrane has to be fs = resonance frequency. you need a stronger drive big magnet. my 15 "woofers weigh 68 grams but is also another principle Open Baffle where you need a weak drive to generate a deep bass.
P.S qts is a important factor

my 15 "woofers weigh 68 grams
The point is are they strong enough to behave pistonic in the bass . ;)
If it flexes whats the point of making it leight in the first place , its a very fine line to walk on ( light and strong/ stiff )
Flexing means no bass impact / delayed responses - distortion.

Ps i have never heard an open baffle design with good strong bass impact , only very weak bass

Last edited:
When you drive next time Hannover,if you just come by, live close to the a30 motorway to netherlands. then you get a coffee and can listen to a little music with me

Alon, myself and an army of people around the world want Magico speakers to sound EXACTLY the way they sound, especially the A5's and the M9s which are the topic of this thread.

Magico will always have it's detractors on WBF, it's ok, no problem for us. We are very happy campers and VERY PROUD to offer the M9 EXACTLY as it has been designed, tested, manufactured and now being delivered.

It's always fun to listen to people criticize a product that they have not heard.

Even more fun to listen to people go on and on for pages about Avantgarde, vintage speakers and other topics vs the thread topic, which in this case is the Magico M9.

Alon, myself and an army of people around the world want Magico speakers to sound EXACTLY the way they sound, especially the A5's and the M9s which are the topic of this thread.

Magico will always have it's detractors on WBF, it's ok, no problem for us. We are very happy campers and VERY PROUD to offer the M9 EXACTLY as it has been designed, tested, manufactured and now being delivered.

It's always fun to listen to people criticize a product that they have not heard.

Even more fun to listen to people go on and on for pages about Avantgarde, vintage speakers and other topics vs the thread topic, which in this case is the Magico

My bother and I heard Wilson WAMMs years ago in Atlanta, GA. The dealer played one song - Hotel California - from a Wadia CD player. It was an unforgettable experience and we still speak of the experience to this day! (literally just a few weeks ago). But then I heard Magico Q7s. For me personally they were better - more refined and even more rememberable. IMO, the M series is a step above the Q.

Great speakers are like fine wines. While I prefer a good Cab, I still have a glass of fine Zinfandel, Riesling, or Chardonnay from time to time. Sampling is fun. There's different tastes for everyone. Enjoy the differences!

That is not the case with the Alexia 2 which is very coherent - first thing I noticed when I compared the two.
Or the XLF - most people commenting on it explicitly praised its full bandwidth coherence.

The fact that a new version shows improvements does not imply the previous one is flawed.

Old Wilson's were harder to set up, but when adequately matched were coherent - I recently listened to my old Watt/ Puppy system 7 and was impressed by how good they sound. Electronics were conrad johnson, BTW.

My point was that Avantgardes can be dropped into any reviewers system for a trial. The brand actually prefers SS and makes SS amps. THEY THINK that SS is best for their speakers. It's irrelevant what you think about what sounds better, that's not what the subject of the conversation is.

And of course you think that SET's would sound better and your Odeons are better than Avantgardes and yada yada.
You stated;
"Avantgardes are driven perfectly by solid state electronics (there own amps are SS)."

As near as I can tell, this is your opinion that is based solely on the fact that Avantgarde makes SS amps. They are also the only ones I have seen that demos their speakers with SS. Have you actually listened to AGs with their amps and then the same model with good tube gear?

AG are speaker engineers (arguably good ones), which doesn't mean they are an authority on what makes their speaker sound the best...speaker designers rarely are. It is obvious they think it is best for their speakers...or they wouldn't bother making SS amps I suppose.

For those of us who listen, it is not at all obvious that they can be dropped into any reviewer's system, this would also then be an assumption that the AG speakers will behave ok with other brands of SS amps (assuming they sound good with their own amps...which they don't).

I am sure you are about to tell me how the First Watt SIT-3 would be the perfect choice, right?

I don't know if the AGs would sound better than my speakers because I have never had them in my own listening space...I have heard a few demos that suggest that they COULD sound extremely good...perhaps good enough to consider them as an option...but many more demos where they just sound too flawed. But yes, a good SET is likely to be the best option for such a speaker.

Or the XLF - most people commenting on it explicitly praised its full bandwidth coherence.

I have heard XLF with Spectral and VTL and it is not coherent, so let's disagree

Interesting. Which Radian do you consider superior to the 4001?
i won't say I consider it superior, but it is similar in characteristics. The 950 pb, for which my reference is hORNs Universum. The horn sonics are similar to Tang's Cessaro Gamma, in terms of nuance and transparency, both have an electrostatic see throughness and staging. The Universum being slightly smaller and a 3-way has more coherence, but does not enjoy the subs power of the Gamma or the trios. It would be more like running a cone without subs. Though I assume a custom sub/bass horn discussed with the designer or someone like Bert from Holland could fix that. All these are beryllium diaphragms.

Reactions: microstrip
Gentlemen:

Please let's cease discussing on this Magico M9 thread Avantgarde, Cessaro, vintage compression drivers, etc.

Please feel free to start new threads on any of these topics.

Thank you.

You stated;
"Avantgardes are driven perfectly by solid state electronics (there own amps are SS)."

As near as I can tell, this is your opinion that is based solely on the fact that Avantgarde makes SS amps. They are also the only ones I have seen that demos their speakers with SS. Have you actually listened to AGs with their amps and then the same model with good tube gear?

AG are speaker engineers (arguably good ones), which doesn't mean they are an authority on what makes their speaker sound the best...speaker designers rarely are. It is obvious they think it is best for their speakers...or they wouldn't bother making SS amps I suppose.

For those of us who listen, it is not at all obvious that they can be dropped into any reviewer's system, this would also then be an assumption that the AG speakers will behave ok with other brands of SS amps (assuming they sound good with their own amps...which they don't).

I am sure you are about to tell me how the First Watt SIT-3 would be the perfect choice, right?

I don't know if the AGs would sound better than my speakers because I have never had them in my own listening space...I have heard a few demos that suggest that they COULD sound extremely good...perhaps good enough to consider them as an option...but many more demos where they just sound too flawed. But yes, a good SET is likely to be the best option for such a speaker.
Brad the whole point is that they could be reviewed by any of the reviewers. I don’t know how many times I have to repeat this. I give up,
Moving you to ignore. Good luck.

Reactions: bonzo75
i won't say I consider it superior, but it is similar in characteristics. The 950 pb, for which my reference is hORNs Universum. The horn sonics are similar to Tang's Cessaro Gamma, in terms of nuance and transparency, both have an electrostatic see throughness and staging. The Universum being slightly smaller and a 3-way has more coherence, but does not enjoy the subs power of the Gamma or the trios. It would be more like running a cone without subs. Though I assume a custom sub/bass horn discussed with the designer or someone like Bert from Holland could fix that. All these are beryllium diaphragms.
Thanks!

I heard that Magico delivered its first pair of M9’s to a buyer in Hong Kong recently. Congrats to Magico and the buyer!

Last edited:
I heard that Magico sold its first pair of M9’s to a buyer in Hong Kong recently. Congrats to Magico and the buyer!
That is almost correct except the wording should be that Magico delivered it’s first pair of M9s in Hong Kong.

The whole first run of M9‘s have been sold now for quite some time. Now the deliveries are starting, the first one as you mentioned in Hong Kong wish there have been several pictures in this thread all last week.

Hi CK,

It would be great to get some clear high res pics of the whole system. Hope that happens. Front end/cables/M9s etc...but clear pics.
A few more photos about the M9 HK owner's system :

IMG-20211107-WA0016.jpg
IMG_20211116_073517.jpg
IMG_20211107_113040.jpg
IMG-20211107-WA0021.jpg
IMG_20211107_113132.jpg

Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing