Magico M9

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Only at Munich where demo was poor (nothing to do with whether speaker was good or not). The only person I know who has heard it outside of Munich is Jazzhead. He already reported on this thread. You can search on ultimate on this thread

Funny thing is that WE vintage big horn speaker sounds wonderful in poor environment with cheap cables and without DSP.

I am happy with my Lansche 4.1 augmented by two 18 inch Scaena carbon composite subwoofers.

Spooky details and excellent dynamics but not going on the analytical side.

My next speaker will be WE vintage horn, thus I will skip on others to save money.

The only reason that I plan to attend Axpona 2021 is to compare Lansche with other top high end speakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Funny thing is that WE vintage big horn speaker sounds wonderful in poor environment with cheap cables and without DSP.

I am happy with my Lansche 4.1 augmented by two 18 inch Scaena carbon composite subwoofers.

My next speaker will be WE vintage horn, thus I will skip on others to save money.

The only reason that I plan to attend Axpona 2021 is to compare Lansche with other top high end speakers.

That WE speaker takes up all of the room , no DSP necessary for what's left ....

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

That is cool, Thomas. Will you buy an original WE horn or one of the rebuilds? Which horns are on your agenda?

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
That is cool, Thomas. Will you buy an original WE horn or one of the rebuilds? Which horns are on your agenda?
Just the original not rebuild or replica.

No decisions on specific horns but the available ones in good condition when I can afford one.

But it will be 3 years or longer to save enough money.

In the meantime I will do my best to get the musical sound out of Lansche 4.1 or Scaena 3.2.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
That WE speaker takes up all of the room , no DSP necessary for what's left ....
My living room(20ft by 30 ft) on the second floor with high vaults open to third floor has marginal but enough space for WE vintage horn.

My friend used to play WE vintage horn in the smaller space than my living room 20 years ago with acceptable result.

Thus I will get advice from my friend.

I have 42 years of experience in high end audio thus I can make judgement on the sound that I want.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
My living room(20ft by 30 ft) on the second floor with high vaults open to third floor has marginal but enough space for WE vintage horn.

My friend used to play WE vintage horn in the smaller space than my living room 20 years ago with acceptable result.

Thus I will get advice from my friend.

I have 42 years of experience in high end audio thus I can make judgement on the sound that I want.

That will be pretty awesome in your nice room. Enjoy.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
His conical Horns were field Coils Altec

Altec did have a field coil, but he is using the cogent which was also a field coil. In the monarch he is using his proprietary ones, which could mean anything, he probably borrowed an existing driver and changed diaphragm or something slightly.

Below is an Altec 288 midrange that the owner in Asia converted to field coil (altec 287 is field coil but hardly found) with Altec woofers and a clone he made himself of Western electric tweeter.

This is havanaise by Saint saens

Since no one else is replying on this, might as well keep the thread alive till M9 is released.

Last edited:

TLi

May 27, 2016
What is the minimum recommended width to accommodate the m9 in the room?
No one knows the minimum recommended size of room yet. M9 is not offically launched, but it should be in the near future. COVID-19 surely disrupts any planning.

From the drivers line-up, dual 15" woofers certainly require a lot of space to disgust. I assume the active crossover allows adjustment on woofer level, they can be dialed down if necessary. Common sense suggests a large room, I expect the width of room to be at least 15 feet and plenty of depth and height to go with it.

The weight of the pair, almost one ton, is more of a concern. Floor slab of most typical houses has difficulty bearing this weight, particularly it is not a static load. Speaker shakes in function, that is detrimental when floor loading is marginal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M. and CKKeung

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
No one knows the minimum recommended size of room yet. M9 is not offically launched, but it should be in the near future. COVID-19 surely disrupts any planning.

From the drivers line-up, dual 15" woofers certainly require a lot of space to disgust. I assume the active crossover allows adjustment on woofer level, they can be dialed down if necessary. Common sense suggests a large room, I expect the width of room to be at least 15 feet and plenty of depth and height to go with it.

The weight of the pair, almost one ton, is more of a concern. Floor slab of most typical houses has difficulty bearing this weight, particularly it is not a static load. Speaker shakes in function, that is detrimental when floor loading is marginal.

So when are yours arriving???:D

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
An audiophile in Hong Kong has already placed order for the M9.
His will be the first pair in HK, expected to arrive in early Nov.
:cool:

Reactions: TLi

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Yes, plenty depth and height of the room, and probably 15 feet width as absolute minimum. I'd feel more comfortable with a width of 18 feet or preferably even more than that.

owen lawlor

Jul 30, 2010
This is just heavenly - I'm gobsmacked!

Reactions: Bobvin and Rhapsody

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing