Magico M9

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
At $500K a pair, you would not expect sterility.
It might be fine for some but I find it’s a common problem with all the current high powered extreme priced solid state electronics I’ve heard; that was always the problem with them in the past too.

david

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
:) whats with the bird noise ?
Thats not on the CD (first vid) , does he have a bird in the listening room ?

Ps maastricht salon orchestra , that must be a dutch bird then :cool:

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Sounds like real birds in the room to me. I really liked the sound of the video. It draws me in, even on the video. Different strokes for different folks.

Gosh, that video sounds bloody awful. The violin is metallic and thin in the high registers, and the piano is diffuse without audible diffuse acoustics on the recording that would justify that sound. Also, it sounds so woolly in the low registers that even that could not be justified by imagining it playing in a diffuse acoustics.

Well, what do expect from crappy iPhone/YouTube quality?

I am sure in real life the sound is MUCH better than this.This video though is not a good way to promote the M9 sound.

Disclosure: I listened on headphones via computer. The sound there can be decent on actual professional recordings (not iPhone system recordings). So it's not that my playback completely sucks. It's the recording that sucks.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Gosh, that video sounds bloody awful. The violin is metallic and thin in the high registers, and the piano is diffuse without audible diffuse acoustics on the recording that would justify that sound. Also, it sounds so woolly in the low registers that even that could not be justified by imagining it playing in a diffuse acoustics.

I am sure in real life the sound is MUCH better than this.This video though is not a good way to promote the M9 sound.

Disclosure: I listened on headphones via computer. The sound there can be decent on actual professional recordings (not iPhone system recordings). So it's not that my playback completely sucks. It's the recording that sucks.
Nobody is promoting M9 sound with this video. Howiebrou was kind enough to take it during his visit. Like I said I enjoyed the video understanding that videos don't have much to do for me with respect to in room listening. You hate it I like it. It is what it is.

Btw, we are not having any issue with promoting M9s at the moment. We have then at the Magico factory with many visitors at this point. Also the upcoming installations in Dallas and Brooklyn, with SEVERAL serious local buyers waiting for the installations to be completed.

The people/customers that I know and will sell M9s to don't buy M9s because of YT videos. Videos are for fun, in my world. Real buyers will be listening to M9s with in room experiences/listening sessions to decide whether they want to purchase M9s.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I enjoyed the video. Thank you!

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012

I can assure you that I am not trying to promote anything! Just thought a video might be fun to watch as there are very few of the M9s. ;)

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I can assure you that I am not trying to promote anything! Just thought a video might be fun to watch as there are very few of the M9s. ;)
It was fun Howie. I really appreciated it. Nothing to do with promoting anything. Pure fun. Thank you!!! Loved the birds myself:)

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
I enjoyed the video as well, I hear it completely different then Al M. Thank you for posting.

Reactions: Rhapsody

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Wow, those birds sound real. Can’t even imagine what the system must sound like in person!!! Awesome.

Reactions: HenryD and Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Wow, those birds sound real. Can’t even imagine what the system must sound like in person!!! Awesome.
I really like classical but I listen to a lot of EVERYTHING. There is a 70's album by YES, "Close to the Edge" that has a flock of birds at the beginning of the song. I want to hear that on the M9s after hearing the birds in this video.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

I'll grant you that. The birds sound astonishingly real on the video. Everything else, well, you know my opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75 and Audire

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks for this video Howie, unfortunately the same issues we discussed when I was there continue to plague the system. I hear what @Al M. does and some more.

I'll grant you that. The birds sound astonishingly real on the video. Everything else, well, you know my opinion.
Funny, the bird sound is a recording that’s played back it’s the last thing that should sound real!:)

Edit- The purpose of my comments isn’t to knock the speakers I’m bringing up the importance of setup and the system driving them which is critical specially at this level. Low impedance power hungry speakers are a handicap from the get go.

david

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Power hungry speakers are a handicap from the get go.

david

That is most certainly true. Not that this is a problem that cannot be solved per se, but it may take a huge effort that needs to be thoroughly considered beforehand and well implemented with such speakers.

But it depends on how power hungry. Some speakers may be beyond redemption in that respect...

Reactions: ddk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing