Melco S100 audiophile switch

onsionsi

Nov 27, 2019
May I know what is the type of DC input for Melco S100, is it 5.5X2.1mm or 2.5mm?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Dela/Melco of Japan announces an optinal optical conversion set for their S-100 audiophile switch.

It comprises an optical media converter, an optical fiber made by Corning and optical transievers :

1591689040.png
image.jpg

Interestingly Dela/Melco has chosen multi-mode but not single-mode optical connection.
Here is the webpage :
https://www.dela-audio.com/product/op-s100/

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Dela/Melco of Japan announces an optinal optical conversion set for their S-100 audiophile switch.

It comprises an optical media converter, an optical fiber made by Corning and optical transievers :

View attachment 66478
View attachment 66479

Interestingly Dela/Melco has chosen multi-mode but not single-mode optical connection.
Here is the webpage :
https://www.dela-audio.com/product/op-s100/

The multi-mode choice does seem to conflict with the conventional wisdom (on this forum) that single mode sounds better. Interesting also, that Sonore also chose multi with it's optical modules.

Question: I see that the Melco has two SFP ports. Am I correct to assume that one can input to one and output from the other?

For example:
Modem/Router> copper lan> FMC> FO> Mel sfp#1> Mel sfp#2> FO> Server>....

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Been using the S100 for the past few days. Streaming via Roon. The 100Mb port seems to "time out" after some hours and I lose connection to my endpoint. The 1000Mb port seems stable. Anybody else seen this? Wondering whether there's an issue with my network, or whether Roon over the 100Mb links is a bad idea? Given the 100Mb ports of "optimised" for sound quality I'd like to use them (haven't A/B the ports yet to hear if this is even an issue).

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Been using the S100 for the past few days. Streaming via Roon. The 100Mb port seems to "time out" after some hours and I lose connection to my endpoint. The 1000Mb port seems stable. Anybody else seen this? Wondering whether there's an issue with my network, or whether Roon over the 100Mb links is a bad idea? Given the 100Mb ports of "optimised" for sound quality I'd like to use them (haven't A/B the ports yet to hear if this is even an issue).
I use the same 100Mb port and my Roon habitually loses its connection and cant find my Extreme. I put it down to my shitty network but your comment makes me wonder whether the Melco port choice is to blame....

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I have been struggling with this same issue for a couple weeks now with the S100 100Mb input. Have been trying various connections to try to resolve the problem. I do notice that it seems to occur only with high res streaming in my system. My connection stays intact with standard CD/44.1kHz 16bit files being streamed via the S100 100Mb input. Currently trialing the 100Mb input and then using 1000Mb to output just to see if it will keep it's connection. My next step will be to eliminate the fiber connection in my digital network. I use fiber from the router to a pair of SOtM switches followed by the Melco then into the Extreme (ROON).
Are you using fiber anywhere in your network? Is it single-mode? I am wondering if the dropped connection we are experiencing is related to this?

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I'm also using fibre: SoTM -> Fibre -> SoTM -> Fibre -> S100 -> ethernet cable

I was using a dual SoTM before adding the S100 with the intention of going 1 x SoTM -> S100 but I thought, what the heck, I had two SoTM so I might as well try the three switches and, yes, it makes a difference (WHYYYY?!!!) so I'll stick with them for now.

To my ears fibre is a must if you want the best sound quality, so even if it's the cause of the issue I'll have to find a way to work with it.

I'm currently using multi-mode SFP (Ubiquiti) although I also have Finisar single mode available (but I don't like the sound as much)

Reactions: austinpop

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Appreciate your response as it may suggest that my use of single mode fiber may not be a source of the issue. However given that it may sound better, I may still trial using multi-mode. I am using the Finisar's for single mode.

I really need to use fiber in my system as it is almost prohibitive to use a ethernet cable for the 20 meter distance from router to my system. Thus I do need to identify the source of the dropped connection. I will test using only ethernet cable in my digital network by temporarily moving my router close to my system. Even if this works it is not a long term solution for me as the router needs to be returned to it's current location. These dropped connections are a real PIA so I would like to get to the bottom of this issue and find a workable solution. At this point in time I can avoid the dropped connection by using either the 1000 Mb connection or by only streaming low-res files. Unfortunately both of these come with a sound penalty.

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
I use a 100MB port without any issues connected to a NUC7i7 endpoint. The issue is most likely not the Melco but some other aspect of your network configuration. Maybe your endpoint doesn't like the 100MB stream. Are there endpoint NIC settings you can change?

Gladiator

Oct 8, 2015
I have also used the 100MbE port without any issues. But i did experience the dreaded "audio files loading slowly" message when i tried to go exclusively on 100MB connections. Though the message only appears when i play files 352k and DSD 128 and up.

Putting the NUC and Melco Server back to 1GbE seems to be the only cure. I am still not sure why Roon doesn't work well with 100MbE connections.

Currently i am trying/auditioning, the scenario described below.......

Copper from Router, NUC, Melco NZ1H/2, and a Pro-Ject S2 Ultra all connected to the Melco S100 using 1GbE ports.
Then Fiber connection to > EtherRegen and out through side B (100Mbps) to..... Bricasti M1 SE DAC.
All switches are powered by Farad power supplies.

No hiccups and So far I really like what i'm hearing.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
I use a 100MB port without any issues connected to a NUC7i7 endpoint. The issue is most likely not the Melco but some other aspect of your network configuration. Maybe your endpoint doesn't like the 100MB stream. Are there endpoint NIC settings you can change?

Which SFP port are you using? 8 or 9? I'm currently using 8 but I notice it is tied to ethernet port 8 by some priority logic and am wondering whether port 9 might be the port to use. Just trying to remove variables...

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
Which SFP port are you using? 8 or 9? I'm currently using 8 but I notice it is tied to ethernet port 8 by some priority logic and am wondering whether port 9 might be the port to use. Just trying to remove variables...

It's the top one. Not sure which number. Also, I have used 3 different transceivers (Planet Tech and Finisar) and all worked fine.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
It's the top one. Not sure which number. Also, I have used 3 different transceivers (Planet Tech and Finisar) and all worked fine.

Thanks, that's port 9. After 24 hours of working mine just dropped off again. Going to switch to port 9 and see if that helps.

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Today I trialed a couple different scenario's to resolve why, in my system, I am dropping hi-res Quboz streams when using the 100 Mb input/output of the Melco's S100 . My current digital network is:

Orbi router>>>Sonore OM----fiber----SOtM #1>>>SOtM #2>>>Melco S100>>>Extreme (ROON)>>>TotalDac 12 Mk2 DAC

First, I eliminated the one fiber connection in my network which is from my router to my #1 SOtM switch. All connections are then made with Sablon Lan/ethernet cable (>>>). Using the Melco 100 Mb input/output there were no dropped connections. Unfortunately I do need to run fiber given it is 20 meters from my router to my audio rack but wanted to find out if there were other issues preventing the use of the Melco 100 Mb connection. In my system the 100 Mb connection is clearly superior to the 1000 Mb connection.

Second, Gladiators post # 94 gave me the idea to trial an Etherregen. I had previously removed the Etherregen from my system as I did not find it to add anything in my system. So I added the Etherregen( using the A input/B output) in front of the Melco. So far this is allowing me to use Melco's 100Mb input/output. I will keep my fingers crossed to see if this solution works for the long term in maintaining hi-res streams. Right now, it's working!

Reactions: rDin

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Port 9 has proved stable thus far... certainly my uptime has now exceeded the previous best on Port 8.

Reactions: jaxdr

Wine Doctor

Sep 5, 2020
I too experienced the dreaded "audio files loading slowly" message when I tried to use a 100MB connection for my Hi-Res and DSD streams from my music server (running ROON) to my DAC, while using a 1GB connection worked fine. I have been advised by MELCO that there is not enough "headroom" on the 100MB ports to run Hi-Res and DSD streams through the 100MB ports. Furthermore, MELCO advises that it is not possible to change the 100mb ports to 1GB ports.

Finally, I have been told by a MELCO dealer that the MELCO OP S-100 (the fiber optic converter shown above) is only available in Japan.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing