The Uptone Audio EtherRegen audiophile switch

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
The Cisco has an optical port but it won't take the SFP? I think the SFP's are pretty standard. I have used several brands in the ER and SOtM. You could connect the ER's with fiber.

Duckworp

Oct 14, 2018
The Cisco has an optical port but it won't take the SFP? I think the SFP's are pretty standard. I have used several brands in the ER and SOtM. You could connect the ER's with fiber.
It fits the slot, it clicks in, but the Cisco switch does not work with it in place. Maybe Cisco designed their switches to operate with Cisco SFPs only, or Cisco-compatible SFPs. I bought my SFP from FS.com and they are labelled specifically as Cisco SFP so I think this must be the case.
The two ERs are on two separate system, so I run two lengths of fibre from the Cisco switch So connecting the two would not work in this set up.

Frenchrooster

Jan 14, 2012
France
It fits the slot, it clicks in, but the Cisco switch does not work with it in place. Maybe Cisco designed their switches to operate with Cisco SFPs only, or Cisco-compatible SFPs. I bought my SFP from FS.com and they are labelled specifically as Cisco SFP so I think this must be the case.
The two ERs are on two separate system, so I run two lengths of fibre from the Cisco switch So connecting the two would not work in this set up.
I know that some use the Cisco with ER connected with fiber. you can ask on Audiophile style forum or Naim community. You have to use the right SFP.

Duckworp

Oct 14, 2018
I know that some use the Cisco with ER connected with fiber. you can ask on Audiophile style forum or Naim community. You have to use the right SFP.
Thanks. Yes I have FS SFPs which work. I wanted to try the Finisar SFP that is recommended here. they don’t work though.

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
I bought the AfterDark Queen 75ohm square wave reference clock to go with my EtherRegen. This one: https://www.adark.co/products/after...udiophilestyle-edition?variant=39265193689206

It's been burning in for 2 weeks and has made a profound improvement to musical enjoyment. My only regret is not springing for the Emperor Signature.

Highly recommended.

How has everyone communicated with Afterdark? I tried contacting and it took days for them to reply. Then Adrian finally started in on the conversation and I felt he was helpful. I am new to clocks and modded switches but wanted to try them out. I thought I made it clear to Adrian that I wanted a switch and a clock for EtherRegen. He recommended their modified Buffalo cascade switch/clock and a high current LPS. However after ordering I was confused and asked some clarifying questions. Again, after several days, Adrian finally answered and he told me I need an additional clock for the EtherRegen. The clock in the switch apparently is only for the switch. I also asked what is the “cascade” referring to and he replied ( I think) that the cascade only applies if you buy two switches in the one case. So what does cascade mean if you buy the one switch? To me, this website is very confusing to newbies like myself and the customer service suffers from language barriers. I would like to purchase merchandise from them but I am frustrated

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
How has everyone communicated with Afterdark? I tried contacting and it took days for them to reply. Then Adrian finally started in on the conversation and I felt he was helpful. I am new to clocks and modded switches but wanted to try them out. I thought I made it clear to Adrian that I wanted a switch and a clock for EtherRegen. He recommended their modified Buffalo cascade switch/clock and a high current LPS. However after ordering I was confused and asked some clarifying questions. Again, after several days, Adrian finally answered and he told me I need an additional clock for the EtherRegen. The clock in the switch apparently is only for the switch. I also asked what is the “cascade” referring to and he replied ( I think) that the cascade only applies if you buy two switches in the one case. So what does cascade mean if you buy the one switch? To me, this website is very confusing to newbies like myself and the customer service suffers from language barriers. I would like to purchase merchandise from them but I am frustrated

Why do you need an EtherRegen and a switch? The EtherRegen *is* a switch.

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
Perhaps the music system, cable tv box etc. is away from the ISP's main point ?

Then the switch is at the main point and the ER is at the music system as one of the access point ?

Especially some may want to venture into STP fiber optic cable instead of copper rj45 ethernet and have such STP capable switch at the ISP's main point ?

Chèers.

Reactions: Nikko

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore

Hi lx,

Both the recommended AD switch and ER have their built-in clocks but both can also have better external clock to improve sound quality in this not high-end but no-end audiophile quest.

Dun be frustrated and take your time to read up thousands of msgs in various forum until you know what you need and want.

Cheers.

PS: Adrian of Afterdark is responsive but may not have the time to guide you from basics

Reactions: Lxgreen and aangen

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I like the no end audiophile quest, I have been on it for too long.

I reclocked both my ER and SOtM switches with a Mutec Ref10 as it has both 50 and 75 ohm outputs. While I agree it is a no end quest, it was a substantial move towards the end (at least that's what I feel right now).

I am quite happy now just listening, the upgrade bug is quite dormant at this time.

Reactions: richard_crl032

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
I use the EtherRegen between my current switch and my streamer ((antipodes K50). I have a cable from switch to EtherRegen A side. And cable from EtherRegen B side to streamer. There is only one out/input on B side and 4 ports on A side. One A port is used to get feed from router. So that leaves only three open ports on A side. I certainly have a need for more than three Ethernet inputs so hence the need for a switch. The Afterdark switch is supposedly a good switch often cited on this forum (Buffalo 2016) which they modify with upgraded parts and add a clock. No clue if this will improve sq but anecdotal reports on this site indicate it may help. I’ll find out whenever I get the units to Afterdark. I can tell you that using a rail from my Uptone JS-2 to power my existing Cisco switch really did improve sq so it seems like that part of the chain can benefit from upgrades

richard_crl032

Sep 10, 2019
Singapore
ER and AD double crown 10Mhz clock .. wow !

Cheaply Zerozone S22 12v to AD clock made a clear improvement compared to meanwell smps until I received the Ghent Audio's canare dc cable but not for ER that stays with stock smps.

Quite surprised previous statement antipode cx and ex stack improved so obviously in my 99% streaming of full flac internet radio stations .. and so glad uptone and Afterdark provided such solutions to me

Last edited:
Reactions: Superdad

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Is there an ideal voltage to feed the etherregen?

I'm in the market for a new PSU.

Thankyou

All EtherREGEN units are shipped with a fully certified, world-voltage compatible (100~240VAC), 7.5 volt / 4.8 amp AC>DC adapter.

That’s where I would start.

Reactions: barbz127

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...the guy who owns UpTone sez:
"...any +DC voltage in the range of 7~12V is perfectly fine.

The EtherREGEN consumes the same wattage regardless of input voltage. The heat does not vary with input voltage. And—assuming same performance of the power supply at different voltages—the sonic performance of EtherREGEN will be the same from 12V as from 7V."

The guy who designed it sez 12v is optimal.

FYI: Lots of info on the sponsored threads at AudiophileStyle.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Is there an ideal voltage to feed the etherregen?

I'm in the market for a new PSU.
I use a 12v Farad Super3. It brought an improvement nearly as significant as the EtherRegen itself.

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
I currently have placed the EtherRegen, which is powered by a farad super3, directly on top of a Keces p8. Do you think this might me a problem? Unfortunately hardly got any other place for it.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I currently have placed the EtherRegen, which is powered by a farad super3, directly on top of a Keces p8. Do you think this might me a problem? Unfortunately hardly got any other place for it.

The EtherRegen gets very hot. It needs airflow all around it. I would not put it on top of any other electronic device.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing