Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Last edited:

paulkwan

Jan 12, 2016
Hi all,
I just got my Melco s100, and find the sfp module on hand does not work with it, no signal light and traffic does not get through.
Can anyone share the module model you tested with it?
Thanks.

Last edited:

paulkwan

Jan 12, 2016
Hi all,
I just got my Melco s100, and find the sfp module on hand does not work with it, no signal light and traffic does not get through.
Can anyone share the module model you tested with it?
Thanks.
Problem fixed, and i follow hols by adding another switch up stream, connect through fiber and FMC, and plug everything to it; leaving only my dCS Bartok connect to Melco, i concur with him that this gives the best result so far.
Tonal / details / silence / dynamic are better, sound closer to my reference CD transport with Mutec / Cybershaft reclock, which is difficult to beat.
2020_0530_11114600.jpg 20200530_083836.jpg

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Problem fixed, and i follow hols by adding another switch up stream, connect through fiber and FMC, and plug everything to it; leaving only my dCS Bartok connect to Melco, and i feel this gives the best result so far.
View attachment 65788 View attachment 65789
What SFP modules are you using?
Right now I have these FS modules but the extreme doesn't like it. It only works switch to switch for me.
20200529_172121.jpg

paulkwan

Jan 12, 2016
What SFP modules are you using?
Right now I have these FS modules but the extreme doesn't like it. It only works switch to switch for me.
View attachment 65790
Before my Melco arrive, I've a Tp-link TL-SG3210 switch with SFP socket, and a Tp-link FMC MC220L working well with a set of SFP module and fiber.
IMG-20170404-WA0002-01.jpeg

When Melco arrive, i unplugged the module from the FMC and insert to Melco, but it doesn't work, with LED light stay off. So i try a few other modules and fiber. After some experiments, i find if the Melco is connect to Tp-link FMC instead of the switch, it works and with all SFP modules on my hand. So it is the compatibility problem between the 2 gear, rather than the SFP module problem. Maybe there is some kind of handshake negotiation.

This is for my case, not sure if you are the same. Here is the modules i tried, they all works with Melco, if the other end is not Tp-link TL-SG3210 switch.
2020_0530_22311800~2.jpg

Now I use the FS SFP1G-LX-31, as i find it sound better than the 1SPF.com one, besides the module, it is also Duplex LC vs BiDi mode, and they use different kind of fiber, which may contribute as well.

Just note your FS mode should be same series as mind, yours is 40km "LH" and mind is 20km "LX". So i guess yours should be fine, Base on above experience, I think you can try another SFP socket device / FMC to test with Melco without changing module.

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Before my Melco arrive, I've a Tp-link TL-SG3210 switch with SFP socket, and a Tp-link FMC MC220L working well with a set of SFP module and fiber.
View attachment 65798

When Melco arrive, i unplugged the module from the FMC and insert to Melco, but it doesn't work, with LED light stay off. So i try a few other modules and fiber. After some experiments, i find if the Melco is connect to Tp-link FMC instead of the switch, it works and with all SFP modules on my hand. So it is the compatibility problem between the 2 gear, rather than the SFP module problem. Maybe there is some kind of handshake negotiation.

This is for my case, not sure if you are the same. Here is the modules i tried, they all works with Melco, if the other end is not Tp-link TL-SG3210.
View attachment 65797

Now I use the FS SFP1G-LX-31, as i find it sound better than the 1SPF.com one, besides the module, it is also Duplex LC vs BiDi mode, and they use different kind of fiber, which may contribute as well.

Just note your FS mode should be same series as mind, yours is 40km "LH" and mind is 20km "LX". So i guess yours should be fine, Base on above experience, I think you can try another SFP socket device / FMC to test with Melco without changing module.
Thanks. I am picking up a couple of Planet Tech SFP modules tomorrow to try. my FS SFP modules work between switches but not direct to the Extreme.

paulkwan

Jan 12, 2016
Thanks. I am picking up a couple of Planet Tech SFP modules tomorrow to try. my FS SFP modules work between switches but not direct to the Extreme.
A friend just remind me that some fiber device support 100/1000 with negotiation, so if your other end is Extreme, you can check the interface card driver option for similar settings, can try to fix some settings to avoid wrong negotiation.

Reactions: howiebrou

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
May I know how much Pink Faun charged for modifiying the Melco S100?

My personal 1st choice of dual-switch is SOtM+S100.
A SOtM+modded S100 must be even better!

I paid 1250€ for the clock plus shipping both ways. https://www.pinkfaun.com/shop/clock/67-2916-ultra-ocxo.html#/clock_speed-20_mhz

The mods were included in the price of the clock. It's possible Pink Faun didn't charge for the additional work because I was the first customer to request this particular implementation of their clock. I recommend contacting Jord about pricing. You can reach him at jord@pinkfaun.com.

If you decide to move forward, be sure to use a high quality PSU for the clock module. The ultra OCXO really benefits from good, clean power.

Reactions: CKKeung

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Reactions: matthias

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
Thank you for your information, but could you tell us about the difference in SQ between the original and the modified Melco?

Hi Francisco,

I considered listening to the standard S100 before sending it to The Netherlands for modification, but I know from past experience that my audio memory is best measured in seconds for critical listening. Since I knew multiple weeks would pass before the switch was returned, I didn't see much value in trying to make a comparison. The best that I would be able to say is better or worse in the most general sense, but even then, I don't think it would be fair to readers to render an opinion.

The only way I could attempt an honest and fair comparison would be if someone could loan me their Melco or Buffalo switch.

Brian

Reactions: nonesup

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
May I know how much Pink Faun charged for modifiying the Melco S100?

I have confirmed with Jord that Pink Faun didn't charge me for the additional parts and labor because I was the first customer to request this implementation of their clock, and they didn't know if it would work. If you would like more information about pricing, contact Jord at jord@pinkfaun.com.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Melco and Extreme users: Have you compared using the 100mb and the Gig ports?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing