MM7's are here

-- So Mike, how much longer till you have all the ingredients working in tandem (harmony)? :b

i'm planning on becoming 'one with the entity' sometime in 2929.

but seriously; amps coming 3-4 weeks.....however, they've been coming in 3-4 weeks for 3 months now. when Kevin comes (3 weeks-6 weeks) that ought to be the capper.

so before the 1st of the year all should be full speed ahead with no excuses.

Mike ,

You have quite the LP collection , where are you purchasing from ..?

in the 80's i dumped all my Lps. so in 1994 when i got back into the hobby in earnest i started collecting Lps from scratch again.

for almost 10 years i likely bought 20+ new Lps a month, and found 2000-3000 at thrift stores over that time to fill out the collection. i especially always have purchased every 45rpm reissue that has come on the market. i read the magazines every month and would buy anything recommended until i had enough experience to know what i liked. i learned alot by sampling music and then following my ears. i also became friends with some very knowledgable classical music professionals who i've learned quite a bit from.

then i purchased a couple of fairly large Lp collections; one mostly pop/rock, the other larger one mostly classical. at this point a couple of years ago i likely had around 12,000 Lps. i've since culled the herd down to around 10,000; of which 6,000 is cleaned and well organized; with about 4000 in or right outside my room quickly accessable.

since i built my room in the barn in 2004 i've spent less on new Lps; although in 2008 i got big-time into 15ips 1/4" master tape and have purchased 125+ of those over these recent years too. and lately with my considerable commitment to new speakers and amps i've slowed down any software $$$$'s. my wife has been so understanding i'm trying to be respectful of that.

when i puchase new Lps it's mostly thru Acoustic Sounds; i do purchase 'select' used Lps on ebay......which goes in spurts.....and others from local record stores when i can.

Last edited:
Mike,

First I must thank you for sharing. I have followed your "career" a long time on the web. From the Tenors and Kharmas and then forward. As an audiophile myself I am grateful to people who want to share their knowledge and passion for this hobby. Especially on this level! I am for financial reason stucked with my B&W set-up (and Stax) but that dont stop me from dreaming and planning for the future. Your sharing really do spice up my daydreams.

Then a off topic question; I have a vague memory that you have a separate room for home theater with the big Revels from the former generation? Have there been any upgrades there or is everything put in your music room?

Mike,

First I must thank you for sharing. I have followed your "career" a long time on the web. From the Tenors and Kharmas and then forward. As an audiophile myself I am grateful to people who want to share their knowledge and passion for this hobby. Especially on this level! I am for financial reason stucked with my B&W set-up (and Stax) but that dont stop me from dreaming and planning for the future. Your sharing really do spice up my daydreams.

glad to be of service. no one is 'stuck' with B&W and Stax, enjoy the music.

Then a off topic question; I have a vague memory that you have a separate room for home theater with the big Revels from the former generation? Have there been any upgrades there or is everything put in your music room?

i do have a fairly good (not great) Home Theatre room in the main house. i have now 10 year old Revel F30's, a C30 and S30's, as well as Paradigm rear surrounds and Velodyn subs. i have upgraded the electronics over the years a couple of times. at the moment i have a Cary Cinema 11a processor, and Lexicon 7 channel amplifier. i do have a 115" x 51" 2:35-1 Dalight screen and the Oppo 93. the most recent addition and star of the show is my 6 month old Sony 4K VPL-1000ES.....it is a very very fine front projector. i had waited until i felt that the price had come down to earth on that level of performance before i pulled that trigger. i had eye'd the big SIM2 projectors but did not want to spend $30k+. i think the Sony gets close if not right up there in most ways to that level.

i also have 3 very nice Cinematech black 'Valentino' motorized seats that we enjoy.

overall it is a nice solid HT that fits my needs there.

to me movie sound is movie sound, i'm still satisfied with my sound in the HT room. i'll go months without watching a movie and then watch 5 in 2 weeks. my wife and i watch movies together, whereas she rarely visits the 2-channel room. i admit i'm into action and lots of CG stuff and buy most of the blockbuster type films. i do have the 3D glasses and have about 25-30 3D films; i go hot and cold on that.

i consider myself a 'vidiot' and love movies. however; i love just listening to music more. i can and do listen to music 10 hours a day on weekends sometimes and don't get tired of it. one movie and i'm ready to do something else. maybe it's how music can make me feel. i don't know.

since the HT is right off the main living area in the house, it's a natural gathering place for when we have family over. whereas my 2-channel room is out in the barn so no one has to go there unless they want to when non-audiophile people visit. i never mention the 2-channel room and only have people out there who truely want to be there.

i do have a fairly good (not great) Home Theatre room in the main house. i have now 10 year old Revel F30's, a C30 and S30's, as well as Paradigm rear surrounds and Velodyn subs. i have upgraded the electronics over the years a couple of times. at the moment i have a Cary Cinema 11a processor, and Lexicon 7 channel amplifier. i do have a 115" x 51" 2:35-1 Dalight screen and the Oppo 93. the most recent addition and star of the show is my 6 month old Sony 4K VPL-1000ES.....it is a very very fine front projector. i had waited until i felt that the price had come down to earth on that level of performance before i pulled that trigger. i had eye'd the big SIM2 projectors but did not want to spend $30k+. i think the Sony gets close if not right up there in most ways to that level.

i also have 3 very nice Cinematech black 'Valentino' motorized seats that we enjoy.

overall it is a nice solid HT that fits my needs there.

Mike is being very modest. The system is terrific and it is my son's favorite room in his house.

tonight is the first time i've actually pulled out music specifically related to deep bass (since the 'Earth Drums' cut the first night).....cuts known for having prodigious amounts of big fat bass.

first up were Patrica Barber's 'Light My Fire' and Holy Cole's 'Invitation to the Blues' off the server in 44/16. tunes we all know.

holy cow! it is big fat bass. but it's also very nailed down in the soundstage, has specific depth and shape, and tone and texture, a natural decay. these 2 cuts have more big full bass notes and not so much explosive bass. there are a number of quite different bass things going on too, it's so easy to hear everything.

and it's so physical!

then there is the air and ambience everything rides on. lots of other things going on in the mix at the same time and everything simply happens with no drama.....except for the music that is, which drips with drama and involvement on both tracks as the vocals are clear and expressive and nicely separated. and no reason to worry about riding the volume control on these cuts so it doesn't go into distortion. the only concern is SPL's being painfull.

everything is just so effortless and easy, the extreme dynamic capability being in service to the musical message. absolute bass performance corrupts absolutely.....or something like that. and i expect that the mono blocks will only add a greater mid-bass dynamics to this when they get added.....although i don't sense anything missing.

next up is Brian Bromberg's 'Wood'; featuring a Wood Bass, piano and drums. again; 44/16 off the server.

such detail in the Wood Bass, transients crystal clear and 'real' sounding.....so fast and supple. a couple levels better than i've ever heard it. the piano is very very nice.....great tone and life. there is no smear at all to the detail of the piano. no glassyness or brightness yet very lively.

i've always enjoyed this album; but it comes alive with the MM7's in a whole different way.

tonight is the first time i've actually pulled out music specifically related to deep bass (since the 'Earth Drums' cut the first night).....cuts known for having prodigious amounts of big fat bass.

first up were Patrica Barber's 'Light My Fire' and Holy Cole's 'Invitation to the Blues' off the server in 44/16. tunes we all know.

holy cow! it is big fat bass. but it's also very nailed down in the soundstage, has specific depth and shape, and tone and texture, a natural decay. these 2 cuts have more big full bass notes and not so much explosive bass. there are a number of quite different bass things going on too, it's so easy to hear everything.

and it's so physical!

then there is the air and ambience everything rides on. lots of other things going on in the mix at the same time and everything simply happens with no drama.....except for the music that is, which drips with drama and involvement on both tracks as the vocals are clear and expressive and nicely separated. and no reason to worry about riding the volume control on these cuts so it doesn't go into distortion. the only concern is SPL's being painfull.

everything is just so effortless and easy, the extreme dynamic capability being in service to the musical message. absolute bass performance corrupts absolutely.....or something like that. and i expect that the mono blocks will only add a greater mid-bass dynamics to this when they get added.....although i don't sense anything missing.

---- ...Two of my very top best favorite female Jazz singers. :cool:

Holly* Cole is also a Canadian 'audiophile' with great taste on audio gear and loudspeakers. :b
And Patricia Barber is a 'Chicago Blues' Jazz woman. ...Very energetic and hypnotic. :cool:

* 'Holly' with two 'l's by the way. ;)

And I do have all their recordings, from them both.

Holly Cow! you're a stickler for speling Bub! :p

Mike-I would be curious as to your thoughts regarding the bass between 16/44.1 and DSD bass. I currently only have DSD 64FS files, so I can't comment on DSDx2 bass. That bass you are describing on the 16/44.1 is the type of bass that I hear from 16/44.1:wowie-zowie bass when you have lots of bottom end recorded. And I don't mean to imply that my bass sounds like your towers, just that what you describe is what I hear. However, when I switch over to DSD files, the bass becomes much smoother and more natural sounding (to my ears) than the wowie-zowie bass from 16/44.1. I hope that makes sense.

Uncle Mike ,

Any updates , did you make any changes to the setup , got your table back yet ...?

tonight i've been finally taking pictures to update my system page on Audiogon. so it is finally updated.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1036349020&openmine&zzMikelavigne&4&5#Mikelavigne

i did get my turntable back last week and have spent the last few days having my senses assaulted by the most amazing musical experiences. not sure i can really do justice to how it's sounding. i'm also enjoying 1/2" 15ips RTR tape. Sunday i spent a couple of hours with my Led Zepplin Classic Records 45rpm box set and Monday and last night more of the same.....last night especially i listened to a Classic Records 4-disc RCA 45rpm reissue of Prokofieff's Symphony No.7, Overture Russe (Martinon conducting). it was so alive and real sounding i could not catch my breath.

today at work my son (who works with me) asked me how my system was sounding. he mentioned that he had looked at the threads on Audiogon and WBF and did not see me post about it and it made him wonder how it was doing. i had to tell him i was lost to find words describe it and so had just listened.

still i don't know what to say that won't sound a bit crazy. maybe in a week or so i'll come out from under the spell and come down to earth.....or maybe not.

-- Led Zeppelin, I love that band, love those guys. :b

Jimmy page is huge into LPs and in particulars into 45s. He's got a huge collection, and he's so cool about it, with the perfect (kid) attitude. His guitar playing is free and deliberate, fluid and innocent; I just luv it!

* Very highly recommended: It Might Get Loud on Blu-ray.

"Led Zepplin", that's cool, fine spelling in my book. :cool::D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing