MM7's are here

Mike,

When a long-bearded unkempt fellow shows up & mentions WBF, that's me. I starting my "Forrest Gump" run to your place to hear these. Absolutely incredible!

Lee

great Lee, i'll have the single malt (or adult beverage of your choice) ready when you arrive.

thanks for the kind comments.

tonight i'm playing a 45rpm Lp, 'Adagio d' Albinoni', Gary Karr-Double Bass, Harmon Lewis-Organ. On Firebird from Impex Records.

beautifully recorded at Vega Hall in Japan in 1981, it's simply a beautiful tonal delight.....sweet....soulful......relaxed. i'm swept away. the double bass interplays with the organ and they match tone for tone and the utter effortless way the music plays out is soothing. your mind tells you that the Lp cannot possibly do that, then it does just that fully rendered. anyone doubting deep bass from an Lp needs to hear this.

digital bass can go lower and do the whole tektonic thing like earthquakes; but for tone and organic density and texture it cannot touch the analog. the complex threads of color are amazing. and the sense of space and decay seems boundless. a real trip. the MM7's simply get out of the way and tell the whole truth of what happened.

somehow i've typically skipped over this recording in the past....and now i had to hear it.

tonight i'm playing a 45rpm Lp, 'Adagio d' Albinoni', Gary Karr-Double Bass, Harmon Lewis-Organ. On Firebird from Impex Records.

beautifully recorded at Vega Hall in Japan in 1981, it's simply a beautiful tonal delight.....sweet....soulful......relaxed. i'm swept away. the double bass interplays with the organ and they match tone for tone and the utter effortless way the music plays out is soothing. your mind tells you that the Lp cannot possibly do that, then it does just that fully rendered. anyone doubting deep bass from an Lp needs to hear this.

digital bass can go lower and do the whole tektonic thing like earthquakes; but for tone and organic density and texture it cannot touch the analog. the complex threads of color are amazing. and the sense of space and decay seems boundless. a real trip. the MM7's simply get out of the way and tell the whole truth of what happened.

somehow i've typically skipped over this recording in the past....and now i had to hear it.

I had that LP, and now have the CD. Agreed that the LP possessed something special that was lost in the remastering for CD. That the Albinoni piece has such opportunity for emotion doesn't hurt the experience either!

Lee

another great listen tonight is 'Jimi Hendrix: Blues, 33rpm Lp on Blue Vinyl, side 3, track 1, 'Once i Had a Woman'. with Billy Cox on bass and Buddy Miles on drums....and someone on harmonica.

such power and pulse to the music. the bass of Billy Cox stands tall and clear as i've never heard it. overall just so inviting and listenable without edge or brightness. just a great tune with added life and coherence from the MM7's. you are pulled deep into the musical flow.

another great listen tonight is 'Jimi Hendrix: Blues, 33rpm Lp on Blue Vinyl, side 3, track 1, 'Once i Had a Woman'. with Billy Cox on bass and Buddy Miles on drums....and someone on harmonica.

such power and pulse to the music. the bass of Billy Cox stands tall and clear as i've never heard it. overall just so inviting and listenable without edge or brightness. just a great tune with added life and coherence from the MM7's. you are pulled deep into the musical flow.

Mike, it all looks you are having a great time there! Happy for you!

Last edited:

cool...though its 'only' the XRCD remaster from Japan...i just got it on Amazon second hand. I have just gotten an FIM Remaster of Gary Karr...and my fiancee loves it so decided to get this one as well. I was looking for additional organ music yesterday anyway. perfect!

---- Thx for the mention; I pulled it out (yesterday), from my CD wall. :b
Now, if only I could pull your speakers with that. :D

Is that the Classic reissue Mike?

it is the Classic, in the blue vinyl.

some real gems on that record. i also love 'Born Under a Bad Sign' side 2, track 2. the bass on that cut is killer!

it is the Classic, in the blue vinyl.

some real gems on that record. i also love 'Born Under a Bad Sign' side 2, track 2. the bass on that cut is killer!

Thanks just ordered it. For others, it's available from www.themusic.com for $20.

Me three.

-- Wow, pays off to mention the music we listen to; in particular comin' from true audiophiles like Mike. :cool:

Us eastcoasters wished Mike lived here :)

it's RTR tape night with the big rig.

so far 4 different tapes. 2 Jazz, 1 latin salsa, and TP-003, Arnold Overtures....both reels. just finished reel 2.

Wow!

as good as it sounded with the MM3's, i was not prepared for what i just heard on the MM7's. those huge rolling cresendo's are like a real freight train coming thru my room. you know it's going off the tracks, it's got to be a train wreck. and then it simply happens just like it should and it's no big deal. i laughed my evil laugh....holy guacamole!

just so many wonderful things about this tape.

we can debate the music. but not the sound, it's really quite an amazing recording.

one of the jazz recordings had 2 piano's and was very high energy......very good recording. Jay MacShane, Milt Bruckner, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, and Arnett Cobb. the MM7's do piano like no other i have heard.

right now i need to select another tape and keep listening.....

-- Wow, pays off to mention the music we listen to; in particular comin' from true audiophiles like Mike. :cool:

thank you for the nice comment; although in some circles 'true audiophile' is not a particularly positive comment, although i do appreciate what you are saying. i do take my music very seriously, and not just for the sound. i'm happy when i can spread the word about music and recordings that i enjoy.

Us eastcoasters wished Mike lived here :)

-- Yes, I would love to have Mike as my next door neighbor. :b ...Like within 20 miles or so.

thanks Guys, it is nice to be appreciated. my room is always open to visitors.......

Bob, no excuses, you are a few hours away. Peter, hopefully you get out here sometime to visit us all in the top left corner.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing