MM7's are here

I'd buy a condo in FLA..

I am a complete novice to the ultra high end game, and cannot compare my EA MM3s with anything else in its price range sonically. However, I do agree for a speaker this expensive the quality of build is underwhelming. I make this comment because when I replaced a woofer, much to my dismay I found the woofers are screwed straight into the MDF cabinet, using MDF screws! This caused some problems positioning the woofer for assembly. I would have expected threaded inserts and bolts.

Of course, this does not impact sound quallity, so from a sound quality perspective this may still be a "cost no object" speaker, from a build quality perspective it is not. Lets hope I won't have any delamination issues down the road. Certainly won't be shipping air.
What makes you think it doesn't impact sound quality? you don't believe that quality of the junction between cabinet and driver has an influence? I was also shocked when I saw the MDF screws... so shocked that I had to email EA to make sure I was unscrewing the right screws.... Btw, you have the same screws for the back panel with the amplification module.

I like also the TAD, good choice.

What makes you think it doesn't impact sound quality? you don't believe that quality of the junction between cabinet and driver has an influence? I was also shocked when I saw the MDF screws... so shocked that I had to email EA to make sure I was unscrewing the right screws.... Btw, you have the same screws for the back panel with the amplification module.

I like also the TAD, good choice.

What were you repairing ...?

What were you repairing ...?

1) replacing the dead amplifier module
2) trying to remove the woofer to access the inside of the speaker.... and remove the MDF screw which had been screwed into the thread of the spike!

A new pair of X-2's are "only" $70k ! Think of the money you'll be saving! :rolleyes:

I'm a little confused here? What is the list price of the MAXX 3 vs. the X-2?

It's a temporary thing as a few dealers are making room for the XLF. Those interested in X2s should jump now like Christian did. I don't think this window of opportunity will last long.

I wonder if a pair of MM7 could be made with a custom finish, without the internal bass amplifier and with an outboard active crossover for the bass towers or if the internal bass amplifiers somehow could be bypassed and still use the internal crossover?

If so I wonder how that would compare to a pair of Rockport Technologies Arrakis 2 with a pair of Wilson Thor's Hammer and a pair of Wilson The Controller opererated in mono.

Last edited:
I wonder if a pair of MM7 could be made with a custom finish, without the internal bass amplifier and with an outboard active crossover for the bass towers or if the internal bass amplifiers somehow could be bypassed and still use the internal crossover?

If so I wonder how that would compare to a pair of Rockport Technologies Arrakis 2 with a pair of Wilson Thor's Hammer and a pair of Wilson The Controller opererated in mono.

Excellent shoot-out!!! Would love to be there for that one!

Set it up Lloyd , get all three together ....:)

Sorry, my intentions were not really well described in that post. it should have been like this:

1) I wonder if a pair of MM7 could be made with a custom finish, without the internal bass amplifier and with an outboard active crossover for the bass towers or if the internal bass amplifiers somehow could be bypassed and still use the internal crossover?

2) I wonder how a pair of MM7 would compare to a pair of Rockport Arrakis 2 with a pair of Wilson Thor's Hammer and a pair of Wilson The Controller operated in mono.

They may not want to manufacture it without amps and their own crossover, but you can always do that yourself. Just open it up, cut and bypass wires and your set.

A custom cabinet finish is another consideration, and they may be amenable to it for a price.

They may not want to manufacture it without amps and their own crossover, but you can always do that yourself. Just open it up, cut and bypass wires and your set.

A custom cabinet finish is another consideration, and they may be amenable to it for a price.

I understand that they would not want to manufacture it without their own components but I was hoping I could use their crossover without the internal bass amplifier. So my intention would not be using someone elses crossover. I would want to use the crossover built for the MM7 but I would not want to use an internal class D amplifier. I would want to use an amplifier of my own choise.

Sorry, my intentions were not really well described in that post. it should have been like this:

1) I wonder if a pair of MM7 could be made with a custom finish, without the internal bass amplifier and with an outboard active crossover for the bass towers or if the internal bass amplifiers somehow could be bypassed and still use the internal crossover?

i respect idle wonderings. 'what if?' is how our minds work.

but i would recommend that before you decide the MM7's need to somehow be re-thought due to some area where you can imagine a potential gain, you ought to actually listen to them and see what you think. i'm confident any doubts you have about bass performance would be quickly removed. as far as 'class D' amplifiers; remember this bass amp only does 0hz-40hz.....and class D trumps conventional topography in that area. and it's so neutral that it mimics the source main amps.

in fact; based on the investment you are making in speakers the cost of a plane ticket to come visit me is trivial. i have a spare room and you would be most welcome, and you can visit Paul at the same time who is just over the mountains from me.

i think it would be a visit worth the effort.

as far as different finish; the cabinet is basically clear coated over baltic birch ply end grain; i would guess they could simply use a darker tinted polyurathane if you wanted them to. i'm not speaking for Evolution, but adding tint to the clear coat seems not an impossible idea.

2) I wonder how a pair of MM7 would compare to a pair of Rockport Arrakis 2 with a pair of Wilson Thor's Hammer and a pair of Wilson The Controller operated in mono.

the whole issue of integrating bass towers is the design of the main towers. it's not so hard to make cost no object bass towers; but integrating main towers for perfect (percieved) integration requires a complete rethink of the main towers. not only that; but the four woofers in the each of the MM7 main towers are specifically designed to do what they do and this is an area where an added on woofer tower leaves anyone else's main towers 'wanting' compared to the MM7's. the mid-bass dynamics and linearity that all those woofers are able to do is amazing.

i have the utmost respect for the Arrackis 2 as a great speaker system. i have not personally heard it. so i have no opinion about how it might compare to the MM7's with or without the Wilson Thor's Hammer and controller. but if someone offered me the opportunity to trade my MM7's for that combo i would not hesitate to turn it down.

Hi, Mike.

This path of thoughts was not really all that serious. It was more of a information seeking thing and I was wondering what options exists for the MM7. I have never auditioned Evoluton Acoustics products. Your description of your experience with your MM7 brought my attention to this brand awake. So when I inquire about these things they are mostly based on my own experience and might not be applicable to Evolution Acoustics speakers. I have for many years used Audio Physic models with built-in bass amplifiers with active crossovers for the bass. Those solutions have sounded very good. However after wanting to bring that sound forward I have started to modify those speakers and found that these speakers could be improved upon by using external amplifiers although the internal amplifiers where more than capable of performing their task to very high level of quality.

I totally agree that before seriously following through on any such thoughts a very serious audition must be made to the standard MM7. It could very well be that they are so good any thoughts of trying to improve on the design is not applicable. I would love such an audition at your place and I am really thankful for this and your previous invitation. I will no matter what try to make that happen. It is a matter of finding the right time. I will contact you directly concerning this. A visit to Paul would be a great added bonus. We are in discussons about maybe a new TRL 120W-150W Single Ended Triode Class A mono amplifier with twenty Western Electric 300Bs in paralell pr. amplifier and with external PSUs. Maybe I could also find somewhere to audition the new version of the Arrakis too while I am in the US.

In regards to the finish my thoughts were running in the direction of either lacquer or veneer. If this is not possible your color would be prefered over a darker og lighter tinted polyurathane.

From my Audio Physic Cerubin with 8x 10" bass driver in each speaker I know such an array of bass drivers well integrated with the rest of the speaker design does for the midrange. Its addictive. This is also the reason why I am thinking about adding the Wilson Thor's Hammer with the Arrakis. I need something to cover the range below 20Hz to the Arrakis bass. You might be right that the MM7 bass towers wiith the main towers will play circles around an Arrakis / Thor's Hammer solution but since I have not auditioned any of these systems I can only base my current assumptions on what I have experienced. The Rockport Altair and the first passive version of the Arrakis was so overwhelmingly good to my ears, it is actually difficult to imagine what the MM7 can do in the Arrakis frequency area that will improve on its sound. However I would very much like to be convinced otherwise if that should be the real impression after auditions.

So and adventure around the US to visit Any Payor, Mike Lavigne and Paul Weitzel (wow). That would be something! I will look into the possibility. Maybe it is even possible to convince Andy to make an alternative to the The Controller / Thor's Hammer from Wilson which are made to specificaly integrate with the Arrakis by expanding the Arrakis external crossover with two more output channels for and with Rockport designed subwoofers/bass towers.

I have to agree with Mike that the Class D amplifiers for the woofers should not be any concern what so ever.

Using their crossover and your own power amp is even easier than doing the mods with an external crossover and other power amp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing