Modded router + modded switch + Modded access point = OMG

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
I had a client accendentally hook a Switch X + Wifi X directly to a Arris S33 modem. The Switch X has NAT and so can work like a router in a limited way. He REALLY liked the result.. But of course he could not hook up his house system to the modem because cable companies only allow 1 device hooked to a modem for residential accounts. So he put back his router and hooked the Switch X to it.

Because the Switch X does NAT he was able to hook it directly to the S33. You can't do this with a normal audiophile switch.

When he put back the router there was a big drop in sound quality even from his local server. This was really disappointing for him as he had heard it sound so much better.

I offered to make him a dedicated highly modded router. The router needed to be multigig of course and based on SFP+ but he wanted it to be passive. AT first he got the router to try it unmodded. https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/CCR2004_16G_2SplusPC_230901.pdf

This was a improvement and he decided to have me mod it. I did all my normal mods that i do on the Switch X and discovered it was best run on 12V internally and so used my noise canceling r-core power supply on it.

He then hooked his S33 up to it using SFP+ ethernet @2.5Gbps. He hooked the Switch X to the SFP+ 2 port via Direct Attach Cable.

He has now reported a VAST improvement over his old router. The combo of a highly modded router, highly modded switch that does a clean isolated network and a carefully tweaked access point all run off r-core power supplies all combined into a killer system.

So I wanted to make everyone aware that your router REALLY does matter. It mattered way more then I thought. Also the combo of doing 2 in series really matters.

This also has me thinking I need to make a router and that the combined synergy of it all really matters.

I identified a lot of areas to mod.. Internal power regulators, clocks..

The 2 yellow lines are the direct traces to the SFP+ ports. They come directly from the ARM router chip. This is a very nice direct path. Isolated from all the ethernet.

IMG_00711.jpg

The red shows the clean, isolated SFP+ traces which was great as they are away from other noise on the board.

IMG_00751.jpg

The results were quite good noise wise.. This is the 3.3V that supplies the SFP+ and CPU.. This is measured at the SFP+ port. Most of this noise is down near -120dBm. This is 0hz-5Mhz. The green line is -100.. This is a 45 db drop in noise from stock. The biggest noise component is -95.93.. The harmonics from the regulator are still visible, but WAY WAY minimized.

SCREN273.GIF

You can't see all the mods, and I did even more after this pic.. But this shows some of it..

IMG_0630ss.jpg

IMG_0632ss.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing