My feels about this forum

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
as an addendum Marc I have found that the people make changes or tweaks to their systems the results are always followed with great comments about what they hear. IOW they do an A-B test. What they don't do is an A-B-A test to truly know what the changes are and are very resistant to doing such. That takes them down the rabbit hole and always seem to be chasing their tails to correct a change from something they did rather than just saying, the changes were not always positive

My mantra has always been , "did you hear something better or just something different? If it was something better then how so?" That involves an A-B-A test Marc

Ive done it 8 times. Read the reviews on the product Marc before you try to fan some flames

I prefer just a B-A. Put something new in for two weeks. Switch back. You’ll know in moments if you’re keeping the new thing.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
It has always been a revelation to me that when one strips out all of the tweaks and listens to their system that all too often the sound is better without. The reality is exactly what howiebrou said a few days ago "that once you go down the rabbit hole it is difficult to remember what sound you used to have". To me that means "all bets are off"

I always treat as suspect when I'm at someones house and want to hear what something sounds like with and without the tweak or modification and they refuse for a variety of reasons. I was one of those people myself until ddk convinced me to listen to my system before and after removing tweaks I had added. Not only was it shocking but it was a revelation as those rabbit holes do become deep

Ummmm, Steve, I perceive tho hast openeth up rabbit holes.

1. Surely you would agree there exists superior as well as inferior tweaks and accessories and methods just like there exists superior and inferior components, speakers, rooms, etc. And as usual, the number of inferior versions greatly outweigh the superior. At the very least the law of probabilities is not in anybody's favor.

2. We should always be suspect of everything and everyone, especially in a overwhelmingly subjective audio-only hobby.

3. I've had a few visitors request to hear the system without my "tweaks" and "accessories". I mention to them the 5 months it took for my amps to settle in using my extreme mounting method, the 18+ months for my line conditioners to settle in using an even more extreme mounting method and 3 years later still hearing an occasional little improvement, my rack 8 months to settle in and it hasn't budged one mm since October, 2011, etc. And then I say, sorry but that's just not going to happen. Before I mount a new component in place, I first install a cryo-treated fuse and open up the lid to check every possible connection and fastener I can find for tightness, because once it goes in, if it's good enough it's not coming out until it dies. Shoot, if somebody asked, I wouldn't even remove my little custom speaker cable lifters that took 4 days to settle in. Not to sound insulting, but nobody is worth going thru such efforts. Except maybe Katie Perry and even then she'd better be wearing a short skirt with her hair in pig tails.

4. As somebody mentioned in a tweaks thread a while back something about you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, my reply was,

"Show me an out-of-the-box SOTA-level playback system and I'll show you a me-too hi-fi system aka a sow's ear. Show me a humble but extremely well-thought-out playback system fine-tuned with certain superior "tweaks" and "accessories" and methods and I'll show you a playback system with levels of musicality few if any can match aka a silk purse."​

Or something like that.

Anyway, chances are pretty good, if it's easy to install and uninstall and re-install it's probably not very benefiical, otherwise everybody would be doing it.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
There seem to be a core group of posters most of whom know each other and a lot of people connected to the industry. Seems like a good thing as you see a lot of friendships...

As there are a lot of industry connected people, I have to take some recommendations carefully.

Hi Tim, and welcome!

Two things drew me to this site: The intelligence and brotherhood of the members. When I read posts here, so many times I feel like I'm reading the words of genuine experts, and such is not the case on most internet fora (<- my new favorite word). Also, this site is home to an exceptionally refreshing combination of deep passion and "live and let live". For instance, people here don't put down those who spend significantly more or significantly less than they do; it's much more of a brotherhood.

In my experience the founders/owners of an internet forum are the ones who set the tone, and Steve and Ron set really good examples.

I have consistently felt that my kind are welcome here (in contrast with some other sites), and far as I can recall industry members do not tend to be self-promotional, though we may believe strongly in this or that. But please take anything I post with as many grains of salt as necessary.

Last edited:

Audiophile Neuroscience

Dec 1, 2015
Near Sydney, Australia
Ummmm, Steve, I perceive tho hast openeth up rabbit holes.

I had to google translate
View attachment 66067

Be careful, there is an old Latin saying ...."Non facere traho toga superhominem" which roughly translates to "Don't tug on Superman's cape" :D.
There was also the one about don't pull the mask off the ol' lone ranger and don't mess around with Jim Steve :)

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Very very good advice Steve.
I'll put up the next one:

Duo quum faciunt idem, non est idem.

In other words:
Quod licet iovi non licet bovi

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I prefer just a B-A. Put something new in for two weeks. Switch back. You’ll know in moments if you’re keeping the new thing.
Agreed , it is usually pretty obvious.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Tim, and welcome!

Two things drew me to this site: The intelligence and brotherhood of the members. When I read posts here, so many times I feel like I'm reading the words of genuine experts, and such is not the case on most internet fora (<- my new favorite word). Also, this site is home to an exceptionally refreshing combination of deep passion and "live and let live". For instance, people here don't put down those who spend significantly more or significantly less than they do; it's much more of a brotherhood.

In my experience the founders/owners of an internet forum are the ones who set the tone, and Steve and Ron set really good examples.

I have consistently felt that my kind are welcome here (in contrast with some other sites), and far as I can recall industry members do not tend to be self-promotional, though we may believe strongly in this or that. But please take anything I post with as many grains of salt as necessary.
Excellent posting. You nailed it, Duke :cool:
Like with so many of your postings :D

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Audistis quia non Latine tantum scholam massam paroecialem deferat.

Audiophile Neuroscience

Dec 1, 2015
Near Sydney, Australia
I find the use of "fora" elegant and erudite. If that makes me a snobbish elitist -- so be it! Proud of it

Fora moment I thought you were serious.

Nice play on words!
Got it, sarcasm directed at me.
Maybe it was the 4 years of Latin I was forced to do at school or the roman catholic upbringing. I am used to sarcasm on other forums but never about the declension of nouns. That's a first. I am not from USA or Britain but I appreciate words can be unfamiliar depending on one's background. Sometimes attributed to George Bernard Shaw "Britain and America are two nations divided by a common language".

Reactions: christoph

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Nice play on words!
Got it, sarcasm directed at me.
Maybe it was the 4 years of Latin I was forced to do at school or the roman catholic upbringing. I am used to sarcasm on other forums but never about the declension of nouns. That's a first. I am not from USA or Britain but I appreciate words can be unfamiliar depending on one's background. Sometimes attributed to George Bernard Shaw "Britain and America are two nations divided by a common language".

Thanks. Not really at you. I like words.
I vaguely remember conjugating Latin at 7:30 in the morning.

By the way ...
Sound Minds Mind Sound

Is that first word an adjective or a noun?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
In other words:
Quod licet iovi non licet bovi
The only Latin I know is Bon Jovi... or is that Franco-Portuguese??... anyways it means good happy!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Reactions: tima

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Regarding tweaking and things Latin:
Ceteris paribus - with other things being the same'
mutatis mutandis - ‘things being changed that have to be changed’
(...)

IMHO we do not need Latin to debate tweaks - plain english is enough to show how hard the subject can be. Sometime ago we had a thread trying to define tweak and the disagreement on the suggested definitions was very clear.

Anyway, thanks to the internet everyone, even those as me that only remember rosa, rosa, rosae, rosae rosa, rosam and rosae, rosae, rosarum, rosis, rosis, rosas from school times can be latin experts

https://bestlifeonline.com/latin-phrases/

My preferred for this great hobby: "Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." :)

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
(...)
My preferred for this great hobby: "Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." :)

Agreed!
Here is another that could also apply in conjunction with the one above: «?? ???? ??? ????? ????» (why not throw in some greek while we're at it ;) )

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
???????????????????????????????????????????????

This forum is for me to practice my zen.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
???????????????????????????????????????????????

This forum is for me to practice my zen.

Tang, you cannot communicate with @Lagonda that way. Ron uses Google translate and can ban you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing