My new ride !!

Hedgedrew66

Aug 13, 2020
Your wife didn't try and talk you down from the WAMS/subs! :)

How big is your room, and are the walls solid or timber frame?
Second wife puts up with craziness more than any first !!! Lol. Room is built with room between rooms with doubled up studs. 17.5x 23

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Lol. I had trouble with vtl too. Plenty pf tube errors. !! Heated room up pretty toasty too. Lol.

Yeah, but the beauty of VTL is that is there's a bad tube, you look to see which one it is by the glowing indicator light, you change it, push a few buttons and you're done. It is sadly, one of the most pleasurable experiences you can have in the world of high end audio monster tube amps since it turns a nightmare scenario into breeze! No shipping back to the factory required!

Reactions: RussR and christoph

Hedgedrew66

Aug 13, 2020
Yeah, but the beauty of VTL is that is there's a bad tube, you look to see which one it is by the glowing indicator light, you change it, push a few buttons and you're done. It is sadly, one of the most pleasurable experiences you can have in the world of high end audio monster tube amps since it turns a nightmare scenario into breeze! No shipping back to the factory required!
That is true !! There has also been lots of newer tubes sonically improved maybe lol that other manufacturers are using. Bee and luke seem little slow on new products and designs.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Excellent! Very very interesting, and fwiw, I have had subs in 6 rooms over the last 20 years. Obviously with varying degrees of success...but ultimately, with the X1s and now the XLFs (which are still yet to be set up/calibrated to the system/room)...I have always found that even when severely cut off above 40hz and basically silent through certain passages, they are a must have for me when it comes to that sense of the venue, the spacial cues, the 'enveloping sense of space and realism'...and of course certain music where there actually is a lot of information in that subterranean level. And that is a single DD18+, let alone dual Subsonics...

I still reckon you'd prefer two DD18+'s?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Excellent! Very very interesting, and fwiw, I have had subs in 6 rooms over the last 20 years. Obviously with varying degrees of success...but ultimately, with the X1s and now the XLFs (which are still yet to be set up/calibrated to the system/room)...I have always found that even when severely cut off above 40hz and basically silent through certain passages, they are a must have for me when it comes to that sense of the venue, the spacial cues, the 'enveloping sense of space and realism'...and of course certain music where there actually is a lot of information in that subterranean level. And that is a single DD18+, let alone dual Subsonics...
I still reckon you'd prefer two DD18+'s?
I reckon you're right! ;) In fact, from some other owners of Velodynes and other big subs, I would not be surprised in our room if a dual-stack of Velodynes did not work exceedingly well.

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitely baffled

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Similarly safe and convenient for the German Audio Valves.
Their auto-bias and protection circuits with individual indicator lights for each tube are excellent.
Very safe even for their monstor poweramps.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
CAT has a switch which you can turn .
Overall bias , bias per tube , balance.
Just turn the switch to the tube you suspect if it reads 0 its dead .
Change the tube , overall bias setting remains the same 15982699589911622334228410898867.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Stunning! Electronics, equipment rack/isolation and of course speakers! Curious...are you contemplating any room treatments? I could well imagine your decision going either way given how beautiful the room is.

Hedgedrew66

Aug 13, 2020
Stunning! Electronics, equipment rack/isolation and of course speakers! Curious...are you contemplating any room treatments? I could well imagine your decision going either way given how beautiful the room is.
They are already buried under fabric panels. We may do something on window glass. Or between the subs.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: Hedgedrew66

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
They are already buried under fabric panels. We may do something on window glass. Or between the subs.
Excellent! When you have some time, it would be interesting to hear what you found to be the improvements as you moved the subs around and settled on these locations. Was it mainly an improvement in coherence/integration or were there other benefits in relation to clarity/detail/smoothness as well?

Reactions: dbeau

Hedgedrew66

Aug 13, 2020
Excellent! When you have some time, it would be interesting to hear what you found to be the improvements as you moved the subs around and settled on these locations. Was it mainly an improvement in coherence/integration or were there other benefits in relation to clarity/detail/smoothness as well?
Let you know when they in final place.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing