Natural Sound

I can’t match your experience listening to other’s systems. Have you heard a horn like mine breaking up?

No. But as said earlier to Ralph I see advantages in paper, aluminium, and Be based speakers. It is purely academic to discuss what will happen if you replace Altec drivers with tad in an Altec or Cessaro drivers with some paper based driver. As other changes will need to be made. Also the Vitavox S2s I heard with with tweeter and super tweeter

But I am not going to use Be from Focal/Magico experience to judge how Be with low watt valve amps might sound in a universum or a TAD based dual FLH

Last edited:
I’ve only heard a few beryllium tweeters, and they sounded unpleasant.
Your Q3 has a beryllium tweeter.

Which other beryllium tweeters have you heard that sounded unpleasant?

I recall my Sasha 1 had the inverted titanium-dome tweeter used in the Maxx 3 -- think it might have come from Focal. My original Alexia and Alexia 2 had a silk-dome tweeter. Cannot recall the provenance of the original Alexia but the Alexia 2's tweeter, from Scanspeak and Wilson modified, was the same used in the WAMM and the original Alexx. The Alexia 2 silk was a wee touch smoother and maybe sweeter than the original Sasha titanium. Although it has been a while I'd say the Alexia 2 silk is probably smoother than the flat-dome 475 nd horn driver in my M9500s, but it lacking in a natural articulation, near, but not quite too smooth. The JBL driver is described as having a Neodymium mgnet with a titanium diaphragm dusted with Aquaplas. I suspect implementation is a factor with the various Wilson X-type cabinet materials. Don't have in-house experience with beryllium tweeters to offer a comparison there.

Last edited:
Your Q3 has a beryllium tweeter.

Which other beryllium tweeters have you heard that sounded unpleasant?

Focal and Revel speakers at shows and dealers, mid tier monitors and three ways, but mostly the direct comparisons between my Magico Mini II and the Q1. The Mini Revelator was more natural sounding. I actually did not mind the tweeter in my Q3 perhaps because it was a full range floor standing speaker and sounded more balanced, but I prefer the highs from my horn. The Q3 was my favorite Magico speaker.

Last edited:
As you have read all my posts very keenly for many years, am sure you know

Not sure i follow , never seen a post worth anything technical from you , all subjective opinionated yada yada parroted from other’s stuff , so i was actually hoping you knew something on how to modify old Altecs.

Reactions: morricab

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing