Neutral power amp recommendations? (the final showdown)

vermaxis

Jul 3, 2023
I thought I'd create a new post vs. my previous post since it's been over 6 months, some pieces in my system have changed and I have new (lower) financial requirements.

About me: I have aggressive tinnitus and it is triggered pretty easily by harsh highs. I do all my listening in quiet at low volumes (~50-60db).

Looking for:
- something more neutral and detailed without being cold or analytical
- a low noise floor
- sound good at low volumes
- bass that's detailed rather than forceful
- I *love* expansive soundstage
- solid state, no tubes
- nothing that runs hot (only slightly warm is ok due to my room)
- budget ~$15k
- willing to buy used

Some previous likes: Simaudio MOON 761 (felt very inviting, smooth yet detailed), NAD M23 (good all around), Van Alstine M225 (great soundstage but some fit and finish issues turned me off)
Some previous dislikes: Mola Mola Perca (sounded very rounded and closed off), Parasound A21+ (don't remember much, just didn't seem very detailed), Primare 35.2 (struck me as boring), Benchmark AHB2 (some treble and vocals were spiky and sibilant), Bel Canto Ref 600M (bass incredibly overwhelming)

Current setup
Source: Antipodes K50
DAC: Playback Designs MPD-8
Preamp: Classe Delta Pre
Speakers: Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand Reference (90db, 4ohm)
Power: Transparent Powerwave X
Cabling: Various, no single loom (yet). Have Raven Audio, Transparent, Wireworld, FTA, Inakustik, Acoustic Revive

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu