Neutral power amp recommendations?

Hi everyone,

I’m back after my DAC journey post and I’m now looking for a power amp recommendation.

In short, I’m looking for something more neutral without being cold or analytical. Important to have a low noise floor and to sound good at low volumes (in my experience some amps need to be cranked up to hear what they’re capable of).

About me: I have aggressive tinnitus and it is triggered pretty easily by harsh highs. I do all my listening in quiet at low volumes (~50db). Want to stay away from anything hyper detailed, dry, analytical, etc. I originally architected my system around a ‘warmer’ sound but have come more recently to appreciate neutrality and transparency.

Edit: Also forgot to mention, looking for solid state, not tubes. And price would be under $30k.

Current setup
Source: Innuos Pulsar
DAC + volume control: Playback Designs MPD-8
Speakers: Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand Reference (90db, 4ohm)
Power: Transparent Powerwave
Cabling: Various, no single loom (yet). Have Raven Audio, Transparent, Wireworld, FTA, Inakustik, Acoustic Revive

Thanks in advance!
Hi V,
My two cents here; I think You have a little dilemma here, that's why You've asked WBF. Due to Your tinnitus and high frequency sensitivity, the amplifiers You would consider High-End would not suit You and what would suit You better are not considered high-end by many. What I have experienced is that; the better the amplifier gets, the more open in the highs it becomes, which means, if there is information on the high frequency range, the amplifiers conveys it; to be exact; whichever frequency there is information the amplifier conveys it. So I would recommend You opt for more a "warm / musical" amplifiers, than a "natural" ones.
So, from my own experience absolutely not Gryphon old models (Antileon etc.), they are all harsh. New series are commented to be more natural but haven't had first hand experience, only dealer/ show experience. As many commented, when You say "natural" first names to pop up are European and more specifically Swiss amplifiers; CH, Soulution, Nagra.. From these three, Soulution might suit Your condition best in my experience both first hand / dealer show demos mixed. In case of CH; A1.5 would be way better than M1.1 for Your case.
What I would recommend more in Your case would be Accuphase > Luxman = McIntosh. They are to my ears, more natural than the regular US amplifiers (Dan, Krell..) but slightly more rolled off in the highs (I guess because the Japanese design philosophy leans slightly less high frequency domain due to their roots in big horn speakers). If I was to chose just one amplifier for You, it would be McIntosh MC 462. Mc's are strong in low-mid band; which means You would easily saturate Your room with low & mids so would turn the volume slightly less i.e. less highs. Side note: Pass Labs especially the former .5 series might be for You but that's a very close call. Also; You can easily try the Accuphase sound to hear if it suits You. No need to go for a big, flagship power amplifier at first. Any integrated amplifier (even older ones) above 4 series, 5 series and special edition ones would perform over 90 % their dedicated power amplifiers would do (2xx and 3xx series Accuphase would not perform in-line with the rest of Your system). Between purchase and selling of one You wouldn't lose few hundred bucks or many local dealers have them in numbers waiting to be sold second hand, one You have good communication with, would happily consign You one.
What I would recommend though is; definitely stay away from silver cables and go for all copper. The better quality copper cables (Transparent and Kubala Sosna in my case) would suit Your case better. Silver cables tend to 'shine' the highs, when that's what one is looking for.
Happy listening..

I agree that personal preference, perception of natural sound, and interpretation of timbre and tonality vary among individuals.

We're not discussing Aries Cerat. I suppose I struck a nerve when I commented on MBL and shared my personal opinion.

Aries Cerat practically sells itself once people hear it.
And plenty of people should have heard it by now, you can't trow a burned out tube away without hitting a Aries Cerat dealer, you guys are like tupperware salesmen ! ;)

And plenty of people should have heard it by now, you can't trow a burned out tube away without hitting a Aries Cerat dealer, you guys are like tupperware salesmen ! ;)
It seems like my simple comment struck a chord with you, resonating deeply within you on a matter you may find difficult to acknowledge. I want to clarify that I am not promoting Aries Cerat in this thread or to you, as I have no intention of selling to someone that would buy a MBL. Your response seems to be more of a direct attack rather than fostering a constructive discussion.

I choose not to participate in negativity. There appears to be a concerning tone here, and I hope you are content with MBL. If you are not, I encourage you to seek out a suitable support resource that can provide psychological assistance to help alleviate any distress your currently undergoing.

As a representative of several brands, why target Aries Cerat with criticism? :D

Peace!

• Haha
Reactions: Argonaut
Yes you have to actually sell something to real customers before it can hit the used market, not just advertise it on internet forums.;)
These links do not belong to me, and I am uncertain why you are launching direct attacks instead of fostering a constructive discussion. It is common for audio equipment to be exchanged in the used market. I fail to grasp your point here. Nevertheless, if you are experiencing emotional stress, I recommend seeking help.

MBL make almost everything in-house, not at the local machine shop like so many other smaller brands. Their own CNC machines, drivers made by craftsmen designed, patented and hand assembled by themself, not outsourced to some commercial driver plant. A impressive operation. :)

Like a Trabant ? Also hand crafted in Germany ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
These links do not belong to me, and I am uncertain why you are launching direct attacks instead of fostering a constructive discussion. It is common for audio equipment to be exchanged in the used market. I fail to grasp your point here. Nevertheless, if you are experiencing emotional stress, I recommend seeking help.
Another Aries Cerat dealer had posted the links, i was answering him ! You guys are everywhere. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K
Another Aries Cerat dealer had posted the links, i was answering him ! You guys are everywhere. :)
Then we are omnipresent, this stuff is food for the gods :) jokes Aside. Do take care.

Then we are omnipresent, this stuff is food for the gods :) jokes Aside. Do take care.
Same to you ! Just teasing about Aries Cerat, i would probably love it if i heard it, i am sure it is excellent. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing