NHB-458 monoblock power amplifier

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Which is what you had.... the MM3's

No, Mike had 2 15" woofers per channel, now he has 2 11" woofers per channel and 4 15" subwoofers per channel. Woofer envy? :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
No, Mike had 2 15" woofers per channel, now he has 2 11" woofers per channel and 4 15" subwoofers per channel. Woofer envy? :)

No... why would I? Are you telling me now that the MM3's are deficient?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think Gary Leonard Kho has the lock on the woofer envy department.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

i'm sure it's just you getting old and senile (since your Birthday is next Saturday ;)), but each MM7 main tower has -4- 11" woofers, not just 2.

so it's -4- 11" woofers, and -4- 15" powered subwoofers (each in their own separate 175 pound sealed enclosure) per side.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
i'm sure it's just you getting old and senile (since your Birthday is next Saturday ;)), but each MM7 main tower has -4- 11" woofers, not just 2.

so it's -4- 11" woofers, and -4- 15" powered subwoofers (each in their own separate 175 pound sealed enclosure) per side.

Oops :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Yes. 12 12" woofers per side on the G1.2 should be enough for a stadium or at least a large block party.:p

and well they should.

the G1.2 is designed for a 30' x 50' room. in a room with that much volume it requires lots of driver surface to pressurize.

a few years back i asked Gary about the G1.2's for my relatively large room (21' x 29' x 11'). he said i needed at least 25' x 45' for them to breathe and allow the rear waveform to properly develop and that 30' x 50' would be better. ideally they G1.2's need 15 feet to the backwall behind the speakers.

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Yes. I remember Gary saying they need a very large room. I got a chance to hear them in his warehouse when he was burning in a set. They had no trouble pressurizing the whole warehouse and I'd say it was roughly 100' x 100'. I'm sure they would sound much better in a room designed for them though.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
That should move a lot of air. How low do they go?

The Evolution Acoustics MMSevens go down to 3 Hz at -6 db and 7 Hz at -3 db. The MMTwos and MMThrees go down to 7 Hz at - 6 db and 10 HZ at -3 db.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes. I remember Gary saying they need a very large room. I got a chance to hear them in his warehouse when he was burning in a set. They had no trouble pressurizing the whole warehouse and I'd say it was roughly 100' x 100'. I'm sure they would sound much better in a room designed for them though.

Wow...that would be a LOT of fun!!! pressurizing a 10,000sf high ceilinged space would be simply awesome.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

i've heard the G1.2's in his wharehouse a few times and did not think that you got the physical bass that that speaker should provide in a real world room, as much as a 30' x 50' room is real world. if you got up close there was plenty of energy, but your body did not feel it as it would in a proper listening room. it did not pressurize. but you would not expect it to. consider the size of bass units at a large venue rock concert.

you would not want any domestically aimed speaker to trade additional gross air moving capability for articulation.

Gary's wharehouse sort of (although not nearly to the degree) sounded like how the bass sounded in this room....

wild_thing_3.jpg

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
i've heard the G1.2's in his wharehouse a few times and did not think that you got the physical bass that that speaker should provide in a real world room, as much as a 30' x 50' room is real world. if you got up close there was plenty of energy, but your body did not feel it as it would in a proper listening room. it did not pressurize. but you would not expect it to. consider the size of bass units at a large venue rock concert.

you would not want any domestically aimed speaker to trade additional gross air moving capability for articulation.

Gary's wharehouse sort of (although not nearly to the degree) sounded like how the bass sounded in this room....

View attachment 5895

I agree. There was plenty of bass but the bass kind of sounded like a very large night club. I would love to hear the G1.2's in an appropriate room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing